Android 9 Display Brightness

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Anybody notice the screen dimmer in Pie than it used to be? I used to keep my screen slider at roughly 50%, but now I find myself nudging it up a bit. 50% doesn't seem as bright as it used to be.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed that as well on my 2 XL. In addition, with Adaptive Brightness turned on, the screen seems to wake to a dimmer screen, then brightens appropriately after a second or two -- a bit slow for me. The system menu mentions that it's supposed to learn your preferences, so hopefully this will get snappier over time.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed that as well on my 2 XL. In addition, with Adaptive Brightness turned on, the screen seems to wake to a dimmer screen, then brightens appropriately after a second or two -- a bit slow for me. The system menu mentions that it's supposed to learn your preferences, so hopefully this will get snappier over time.
Yes I see that here too. But I saw the dim wake on Oreo well.

Dan L2

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
I find this as well. Now when I'm outside I need to have my brightness almost to max just to see the screen.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
50% on the slider is about 15% brightness. They changed the scale. Use Google Assistant to set it to what you want. (I find 15% to be enough my house - less in some rooms - but 100% outdoors during the day is barely enough. [And no, it's not my eyes.])