Android Auto Turn by Turn Voice Not Working

jcgc

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a relatively new to me 2019 Honda CRV which has Android Auto. My wife and I both have the Galaxy S10E and we have the same problem with both.

Initially, we couldn't hear turn by turn directions. All the settings appeared to be correct. Voice guidance setting was turned to max and you could tell it was suppressing the music or any audio source that happens to be playing. All other audio from the phone works fine. I've tried three cords and just purchased a new cable that claims to be certified for high speed data which worked no better than what I had.

The phone OS is 11 and Android Auto is up to date on the phone. Curiously, I did get it to work briefly by turning off the Bluetooth connection on the phone but after an AA update it no longer worked and leaving it turned off prevented the phone from connecting at all while plugged into the AA port.

Any ideas?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
On my 2021 Outback the notification volume for turn-by-turn navigation (and other notifications) is set separately from other audio. While it's supposed to be playing the directions see if you can adjust the volume. You won't get much of a chance, you'd have to be quick unless it's a long instruction.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you say that your "voice guidance setting was turned to the max," are you talking about the volume, or the option to give you full voice instructions vs only voice for traffic alerts? In the main Google Maps screen on Android Auto, tap the speaker icon -- what's selected there?

jcgc

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I had failed to sign in before posting the question. I thought I was for some reason.

Regarding the volume question, I've been working on this problem off and on for several months and had pretty much given up. I think I'm very familiar with the controls. When I said I turned up the volume to the max I meant the guidance volume. You can test the volume which I've done and hear nothing.

I've checked with the Honda service department at two dealers and I don't get the impression they would know how to solve the problem. I've posted on a CRV forum and gotten no response and the same for the android auto forum over at Google.

If I had access to another brand of Android phone I would give that a try but everyone I know uses iphones.

I'll take a look at the AA forum here. Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but did you also tap the speaker icon on the Google Maps navigation screen (in Android Auto) to make sure the right option is selected? (It's obvious when you've muted all voice directions, since the speaker icon will have a line through it -- but if you select the option for giving you only spoken traffic alerts rather than all turn-by-turn directions, then the speaker icon will have an exclamation point next to it.)

jcgc

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
When I first encountered this problem it took me a bit to find the fix of turning off the "Play voice over Bluetooth" under maps navigation. An update turned it back on and for stupid reasons, I didn't think that fix worked any longer. I'm embarrassed to admit that I learned today that I was wrong and that is still the fix.

Sorry to have wasted your time but thanks for the attempts to help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, I had failed to sign in before posting the question. I thought I was for some reason.

Regarding the volume question, I've been working on this problem off and on for several months and had pretty much given up. I think I'm very familiar with the controls. When I said I turned up the volume to the max I meant the guidance volume. You can test the volume which I've done and hear nothing.

I've checked with the Honda service department at two dealers and I don't get the impression they would know how to solve the problem. I've posted on a CRV forum and gotten no response and the same for the android auto forum over at Google.

If I had access to another brand of Android phone I would give that a try but everyone I know uses iphones.

I'll take a look at the AA forum here. Thanks

I changed you to post owner

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20