Android Convert Help!

Mark of Antares

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Just switched from my dying iPhone 4S to a brand new Galaxy S4 this week! Having a lot of fun customizing the phone and getting used to the new operating system and stuff. I have a few questions/quibbles/issues I need help with!

• When my phone is locked using a security function (PIN or Pattern), I cannot use the Swipe feature to access favourite apps. Correct?
  • I transferred my Night Vale Podcasts from my iTunes to my phone...But I can't figure out how to play them! I've tried several different Podcast apps and none of them seem to recognize that I already have podcasts on my phone! Suggestions?
  • Is there an iMessage equivalent or emulator for Androids? I love autocorrect and I find the keyboard a bit clunky.

That's it for now. the biggest issue is the podcasts.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from my dying iPhone 4S to a brand new Galaxy S4 this week! Having a lot of fun customizing the phone and getting used to the new operating system and stuff. I have a few questions/quibbles/issues I need help with!

• When my phone is locked using a security function (PIN or Pattern), I cannot use the Swipe feature to access favourite apps. Correct?
  • I transferred my Night Vale Podcasts from my iTunes to my phone...But I can't figure out how to play them! I've tried several different Podcast apps and none of them seem to recognize that I already have podcasts on my phone! Suggestions?
  • Is there an iMessage equivalent or emulator for Androids? I love autocorrect and I find the keyboard a bit clunky.

That's it for now. the biggest issue is the podcasts.

I don't believe with security in place you'll be able to launch right into apps, unless there's a workaround. As far as podcasts go, Pocket Casts is my personal favorite app. You can delete your Night Vale podcasts and set up Pocket Casts to automatically download the new ones as they come out, then manually go back and download the past ones so it recognizes them. As far as something to plug into iMessage, Apple refuses to let anyone make something like that. Many Android folks choose to use Hangouts which functions similarly. For your keyboard query, try Swiftkey out. It takes a few weeks to learn how you type and what words you use. After that it's amazing how well it works. The only thing I've ever seen better than Swiftkey is the Windows Phone stock keyboard.
Hope this has been helpful!

sthorout

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm a migrant from IOS to the S4 as well and am happy so far. Swiftkey works really well, I second the recommendation. Yes, if you have PIN enabled on the S4 (and apparently only the S4) you cannot use quick access functions for your apps. There are workarounds but they involve a different launcher than Touchwiz and you might even have to root the phone (haven't gone there yet, just swimming in the shallow end for now). I use Podcast Addict, works great, you can either stream or download. Not sure if if will recognize previously downloaded on the SD card. Never really used iMessage so don't know about that. Like any device or OS they all have their idiosyncracies but generally very happy with the possibilities with this phone and software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A_Brayshaw