Android One to come to the US?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it would be good to have a mid-range or even lower-end Google phone, if only for the sake of being able to run the latest versions of the OS, hardware permitting. To what extent mid/lower hardware would permit it, I don't know.

Sent from mTalk

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure if this is going to get any sort of traction. The market that these are coming into is a pretty crowded one. The general public cares little about timely updates still, so the benefits of getting things direct from Google will be lost. For these things to be even moderately successful, they are going to have to be as good, if not better, than the comps...

The only way these things get going is if they are sold through the carriers. And Google has historically been rather lukewarm to the practice. The Pixel, while not the first phone that was sold through carriers, is the first where they put in a full effort to market to customers. I am not so sure Google, and any carrier, will dump that much money in marketing a phone aimed towards the budget market.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be great! It would show consumers the practicability/economic side of Google - that the brand can appeal to everyone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure if this is going to get any sort of traction. The market that these are coming into is a pretty crowded one. The general public cares little about timely updates still, so the benefits of getting things direct from Google will be lost. For these things to be even moderately successful, they are going to have to be as good, if not better, than the comps...

The only way these things get going is if they are sold through the carriers. And Google has historically been rather lukewarm to the practice. The Pixel, while not the first phone that was sold through carriers, is the first where they put in a full effort to market to customers. I am not so sure Google, and any carrier, will dump that much money in marketing a phone aimed towards the budget market.
Sadly, I think this is the most pragmatic opinion. I'd like to see more competition in the midrange market, as Google can offer this in the Google store.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see them come up with a mid-ranger that's a spiritual successor to the Nexus 5/5X. By having that and a budget phone as well, it would give Google another revenue stream that they lost when they upscaled with the Pixel line.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Budget phone.
Processor not as fast. Less memory.
Budget phones are not gonna give people what they are looking for.

But they'll give a lot of people what they need... Not everyone can afford or wants a top level phone like a Pixel or S7... I believe the single biggest reason for the quick spread of the smartphone across society is the availability of low-cost, affordable phones. If all we had were $700 phones, there would be a fair number of people still cranking away at T9 keyboards on dumbphones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honem224