Android System battery drain

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
My galaxy s6 on 5.1.1 ok7 stock, unrooted firmware is experiencing bad drain with android system. I've cleared cache, turned all sync off, turned location services off, I've factory reset, and even clean flashed my firmware, to no avail. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1552.jpg
    1552.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The percentage doesn't tell the whole story. What's your overall screen-on time like?

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

The Cell Signal Strength graph is in GSam.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
The percentage doesn't tell the whole story. What's your overall screen-on time like?

Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

The Cell Signal Strength graph is in GSam.

This is so far after charging to 100 View attachment 251369 1578.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but please show us screenshots as I suggested after you've used the battery down to about 20-30%. It doesn't help that much to see what's going on after only using about 1% of the battery -- we need to see how things pan out after most of the battery has been used.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I've narrowed this down to my cell radio having bad signal or my WiFi in the building I'm in everyday. I fully charged my phone around 11 pm at home, wifi on, and was able to non stop use it with screen on for almost 5 hours. However my standby time is still draining about 3-4 percent every hour. And it seems to drain faster while I'm using it with screen on in the building as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Only one screenshot came through in your last post (at least from what I can see on the desktop forums site). Can you repost the images? The one I can see if the Cell Standby details, which does support poor signal as one of the main reasons for battery drain.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Still one screenshot not coming through. But the fact that Cell Standby tops the list continues to point to poor signal.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Still one screenshot not coming through. But the fact that Cell Standby tops the list continues to point to poor signal.

My SoT says 1 hour and 32 minutes in the screenshot I attempted to post.

However is there a way to fix this drain on a Verizon phone? I try airplane mode, but it's at one point made the battery worse. It's WiFi and cellular radio that gsam reports as highest users, screen usually is matched with them. What do I do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Airplane Mode should completely turn off the cell radio, so Cell Standby should not be using battery at that point. You can turn wi-fi back on while in Airplane Mode, which could use battery (although it would show up as Wi-fi, at least in GSam Battery Monitor) -- is that what you're doing?

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Airplane Mode should completely turn off the cell radio, so Cell Standby should not be using battery at that point. You can turn wi-fi back on while in Airplane Mode, which could use battery (although it would show up as Wi-fi, at least in GSam Battery Monitor) -- is that what you're doing?

I did attempt that, however wifi seems to take up tremendous amounts of battery too. Airplane mode doesn't help me, unless I completely shut down every communication in my phone. But then what's the point of even having a phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How much is a tremendous amount? You already mentioned that you were getting screen on times in excess of 5 hrs on wi-fi, which is excellent. You're concerned mostly about the drain when the phone is idle? If it's draining 3% per hr on idle, that's still 33 hours of standby, which is fairly standard on my devices.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
How much is a tremendous amount? You already mentioned that you were getting screen on times in excess of 5 hrs on wi-fi, which is excellent. You're concerned mostly about the drain when the phone is idle? If it's draining 3% per hr on idle, that's still 33 hours of standby, which is fairly standard on my devices.

5 hours on wifi while at home. When I'm within the building I'm usually at during the day, struggle to get 2 hours SoT and the standby drain is bad. At home, there's not much issue.

To word better, my main issue is that while I'm at home, I can get stellar battery life with this phone. But while I'm anywhere else, such as work, it drains much faster on standby and when I'm using it. At home I have no issues reaching 4-5 hours SoT. At work, getting 2-3 is a miracle.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok -- so it seems that the main issue is still the poor cell signal at work. Even if you're using wi-fi at work, the poor cell signal will still contribute to drain. I'm not sure if wi-fi calling would make this any better -- I experience the same problem at my workplace, and I don't think turning on wi-fi calling helps that much (although the wi-fi at my work also kinda stinks).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l1orky