Android tablet connected to the Wi-Fi but constantly losing internet access

Tigrowski

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a new Lenovo Tab 7 Essential running Android Nougat for two weeks now and basically since the very beginning, I've been suffering from problems regarding the internet access. While I can connect to the WiFi with no problems at all, the connection to the internet drops all the time - though WiFi connection stays! It's like - I'm browsing the web, everything's great and then suddenly 20 minutes later when I pick the tablet up, no chance. Sometimes it's shown as "connected, no internet", other times simply "connected" as if everything was swell but you can't do anything on the internet. Everything just timeouts and there's that. When it happens, it won't connect automatically again - sometimes you have to restart the device, sometimes turn the airplane mode and off, once or twice I even had to restart the whole router for it to begin working again.

I have connected tens of devices to my router over the last months and none had this behaviour. Android, iOS'es, PCs, Macs, consoles - no problems at all. I'm using a 2.4GHz WiFi, tried both WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 security - no difference. Tried static and DHCP IP assignment - no difference.

What else can I try? It's driving me nuts, the device is basically useless like that cause I spend more time restarting everything I can until it reconnects than actually doing something on it...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, unless you understand NAT, always leave it at dynamic IP. Choose the wrong static IP and you're guaranteed no internet.

Second, this is one of the most difficult problems to troubleshoot online - you actually have to be there to see what's happening.

When the tablet loses internet, do the other devices also lose internet? Or do they still have internet but the tablet doesn't? (Two totally different problems.) I suspect that the router is losing connection to the modem (even if it's only one box - there are a few parts, a modem, a switch, a DHCP server, a wireless access point, etc.)

Read Troubleshooting Wi-Fi Connection Problems and see if any of it helps. (I just got through the same sort of thing - I was using my Netgear power supply to power my Linksys router - same voltage, but the Netgear power supply simply couldn't supply enough current, so I'd periodically lose the internet connection and the modem [separate box] would reboot.)

Tigrowski

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
First, unless you understand NAT, always leave it at dynamic IP. Choose the wrong static IP and you're guaranteed no internet.
Of course, though I do understand the addressing in my home ;) The IP is 100% not the problem - before I set it a static IP, it was even worse than it is now (ie. turning the airplane mode on and off almost never worked - you had to restart the whole device or, as I mentioned, the whole router).

When the tablet loses internet, do the other devices also lose internet? Or do they still have internet but the tablet doesn't? (Two totally different problems.) I suspect that the router is losing connection to the modem (even if it's only one box - there are a few parts, a modem, a switch, a DHCP server, a wireless access point, etc.)
No, nothing else loses connection. There are 7-8 devices connected non stop at my home and never did even one of them have any problem remotely similar to that of the mentioned tablet. Thus, I doubt that the router is losing any connection (and yep, it's one box) because all the other devices are working perfectly fine 24/7, regardless of their system, age, whether they're of static IP (printer, PS4) or dynamic (basically everything else), WiFi or wired.

Regretfully none of these help - they either don't apply here or I've already tried them and they didn't help :(