Android Updates

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
While I personally believe that it is wasted energy to get too excited over Android updates so long as they are delivered troublefree within a fairly reasonable timeframe, I have noted the frustration that many Pixel owners seem to be having over, what they consider to be, late updates and have wondered how the heck Samsung appears (or am I imagining it?) to be beating Google to the punch in delivering Android updates to their users.

So, how/why is it that the parent company of Android (Google) does not seem to be able to get updates to all Pixel (Google) users before Samsung (who, after all, have to work additional code into whatever Android version Pixel users would receive before delivering it to over 10 times more phones with more hardware variants) gets them to their users? Are Samsung updates more problematic with their earlier delivery? Is Google cheaping out at the expense of their Pixel customers?

What say you?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a learning curve with Google's own new silicon. As they come out with new generations of the Tensor chip, they're figuring out how to apply the updates appropriately to each generation. Samsung has a lot more experience with that, so it might be easier for them.

On top of that, Pixels also get the quarterly Feature Drop, which is not available on non-Pixel phones. So that can be an additional big load of stuff that needs to be vetted before the update is officially released on a particular device.

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
If I had to guess, I'd say it's a learning curve with Google's own new silicon. As they come out with new generations of the Tensor chip, they're figuring out how to apply the updates appropriately to each generation. Samsung has a lot more experience with that, so it might be easier for them.

On top of that, Pixels also get the quarterly Feature Drop, which is not available on non-Pixel phones. So that can be an additional big load of stuff that needs to be vetted before the update is officially released on a particular device.
Interesting take. If your guess ended up being correct, I wonder how many of those who are upset with the way Google is rolling out security updates and fixes would be willing to forego the scheduled feature drops? 🤔

Reactions: B. Diddy

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site

That makes sense to me. My old P6 got the update last week but when it was new it usually was delayed. 3 years of experience with an older design could make a difference. Although if I really wanted to I could sideload the update right now. My thoughts are they are being extra cautious because of past snafu's and limiting mass release pending the outcome of the limited release.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Interesting take. If your guess ended up being correct, I wonder how many of those who are upset with the way Google is rolling out security updates and fixes would be willing to forego the scheduled feature drops? 🤔
What schedule? People need to get over the "first Monday of the month" that is a YT clickbait.