Android virus in app market

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried asking this in a few of the rom threads about the virus patch, but havent gotten any replies yet. I figured i would throw it in here and get a few more eyeballs on it:

I downloaded the pewpew game last night (3/1), the featured one in the market (published by Jean-Fran?ois Geyelin) and it did something VERY weird. I installed it last night, and by this afternoon it had uninstalled itself from the phone in some strange way (the icon was still in the launcher but it was a generic app icon and trying to click on it gave an error.) I looked at the "My apps" list in the market, and the entry showed "free" like it was just recently uninstalled. OK, maybe google force-uninstalled it?

Then a few minutes later, I noticed that the app was reinstalled and working again on my phone (without any notification messages), even though it disappeared out of the market "my apps" list altogether.

Virus or not? This is super scary given that it was a "Featured" and "market approved" app with a rising popularity...

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried asking this in a few of the rom threads about the virus patch, but havent gotten any replies yet. I figured i would throw it in here and get a few more eyeballs on it:

I downloaded the pewpew game last night (3/1), the featured one in the market (published by Jean-Fran?ois Geyelin) and it did something VERY weird. I installed it last night, and by this afternoon it had uninstalled itself from the phone in some strange way (the icon was still in the launcher but it was a generic app icon and trying to click on it gave an error.) I looked at the "My apps" list in the market, and the entry showed "free" like it was just recently uninstalled. OK, maybe google force-uninstalled it?

Then a few minutes later, I noticed that the app was reinstalled and working again on my phone (without any notification messages), even though it disappeared out of the market "my apps" list altogether.

Virus or not? This is super scary given that it was a "Featured" and "market approved" app with a rising popularity...

Go to the front page of Android Central, now scroll all the way down and go to the second page. First story on the second page details all the apps that got pulled from the android market because they contained malicious mallware code. This was a featured story right on the front page of Android Central this morning when I checked the front page. Your pew pew game is one of the ones listed.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
You are fine. It was the Asian knockoff of PEW PEW that has the virus. All apps published by Myournet. The one you have might have just been pulled for now as a safety precaution. Unless you downloaded something that looks like this ...几何战机_PewPew.... you are fine.
Read the article and comments:
Google pulls Market apps with root exploit -- one patched in AOSP, but you probably didn't get it | Android Central
If you are experiencing any problems with the phone (besides the app disappearing from the market), let us know. Double check that you did not download the Asian version of the app.

Reactions: Landshark

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Which is it? I did NOT download the version described in the news articles, but it seemed to get uninstalled and resurrected anyway... Is there a chance it is also infected? Or perhaps google expanded their cleanup to any similarly named apps?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Which is it? I did NOT download the version described in the news articles, but it seemed to get uninstalled and resurrected anyway... Is there a chance it is also infected? Or perhaps google expanded their cleanup to any similarly named apps?

No you're safe... exactly what you said... just checking any similarly named apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tuanbinh9990