Android Without the Phone

thusband

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm real interested in an Android but without the phone. My wife has an iPod Touch which is cool but I don't like the restrictions Apple has. Is there an Android "Touch" out there or do you just buy it without a phone plan?

Thanks,

Tom Husband

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
You would probably have to pay full price for it. What features are you looking to use on it without a plan?

thusband

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Right. I think I saw one from Verizon without a plan for around $400. That's a bit steep. I'd be looking for features like the iPod Touch but with Gmail, Calendar, GPS, browsing and various apps. The iPod Touch is ~$200 which is not bad.

Thanks,

Tom

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The problem you might run into (not sure if this is an issue on the droid) is that the phone has to be activated over the wireless network with your gmail account before you can even access the settings to turn wifi on.

My advice would be to head over to iclarified.com and read some tutorials on how to jailbreak your ipod touch. Its really pretty simple, and then you break the shackles apple has placed on it. Good luck.

darkrequiem4u

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
sounds like you need one of those android tablets perhaps...I am not sure if it has the email option but this my only idea on this....it would be insane to buy a phone from a carrier for $$$ and not use it for which is was made for...

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Archos is your best bet. They have multiple sizes starting with a 2.8" screen for around $100. The 4.3" screen would prob be the closest to an "android itouch" for $250.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
You definitely need a tablet. You don't have to have the Archos... There are TONS of tablets out there that you can have android on. To be honest, you can have android on your laptop, iTouch, or whatever you can run an operating system on. Anyway... if you want something preinstalled with Android then you need to look at the most recent Android Tablets. The Samsung galaxy tab has gained a lot of popularity. They have wifi+3g, or just wifi if i'm not mistaken.

If you don't want to spend that much money on a tablet, you can buy a cheaper one and find someone who can add android os onto your device. It is possible, definitely possible, as long as you can find someone with programming or some knowledge of the android os, linux, etc... I can put you in touch with someone also if you would like.

Happy buying.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
The problem you might run into (not sure if this is an issue on the droid) is that the phone has to be activated over the wireless network with your gmail account before you can even access the settings to turn wifi on.
Activation can be bypassed on at least some devices.

Tango Charlie

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
At this point, do what I'm going and wait to see what happens with CES. Samsung has something out there called the "Galaxy Player" (YP-GB1) with Froyo, 802.11b/g/n, DLNA, Divx, ect, but nothing else is know about it yet. Creative has the Zen Touch 2 (currently on their Singapore page), and there are the Archos devices (which just got Froyo and an updated unofficial Android Market app).

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
^ Any update or anything relating to android OS on android phones will apply to an android tablet. The operating system doesn't change based on the device, just the version (eclair, froyo, gingerbread). Anything you can do to an android phone (root, video calls, etc) you can do on a tablet, it's just a matter of getting the capabilities. You can root the tablets... it was done within a day... The difference between the tablet and Evo say... is the screen size, battery life, phone capability, and some other minor details.

When it comes down to it, the android tablets (any tablet with android) will be exactly what you want... an android device without phone capabilities.

You know that new dell? The one that is a laptop AND a tablet... You can get Android on that too! If you don't believe me, contact my buddy JerzyIroc in the Evo forums, ask him to show you the video of the Android OS on his desktop computer...

It all boils down to what you're willing to pay... And when it comes to this dual core, 10GHz processor crap... I wouldn't expect too much. They want smaller processors with bigger processing speed. There is a limit to how much you can fit in a small size without getting into physics too much. The tablets they have right now are pretty incredible, if you're not looking for a pocket sized device.

Granted you can argue the fact about the processors... you have to ask what your tablet or device would be for. You can have a super fast device with horrible battery life, or a well performing device with great battery life...

It's ALL about YOUR personal preference. Ask your wife what she'll use it for, then let her get hands on or ask her what she'd like... it won't be hard to get Android on any device you want. If you're willing to go an extra mile... someone can get you Android on a device of your choice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton