(Another) Thinking of switching annoying thread!

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I know, I know.. another of those threads where somebody is asking if they should switch! But humour me, ha ha!

Cos I'm thinking of switching. And would appreciate all of your feedbacks!

I'm on the 13 Pro Max and have been really looking into the S22 Ultra the last few days.

My background is that I have flip flopped between iOS and Android over the years. I used to be a dedicated Samsung user and stuck with them from the first Galaxy through to the S7.. I've tilted towards Apple since but have always wanted to go back to Android and never managed to stick. I often get the new Galaxy and send it back reluctantly. I got the S22 Ultra on release and loved it but there were a few things that led to me returning it and now I'm ready to give it another go.

I LOVE the design of the S22 Ultra. Whereas I look at my 13PM and it's nice looking but not as nice. It's also much easier to hold than the iPhone and that counts for a lot.

One thing I miss is Airdrop as I do use my iPad a lot but I think Snapdrop is ok to replace it with. I don't care really about imessage because I use WhatsApp and I can still facetime on my iPad if I need to (which is never too far away from me!)

One reason i returned the S22 Ultra was the camera. Although pics were excellent, that motion lag when taking photos of my kids/dog (especially in lower light) was awful at launch. Is it much better now?

The 13PM max also does excellent video. Does the S22U still have that weird jello effect?

I also returned it because I couldn't adapt from an Apple Watch to a Galaxy Watch. Although now the GW4 runs Wear OS, that's a little less of an issue. Is anyone with a GW4 able to confirm if you can now easily reply to WhatsApp messages using Google Voice dictation on the watch rather than Samsung's please (even when running Wear OS, it made you use Bixby before GA was launched on the GW but now we have Google Assistant, I'm hoping that's changed.)

Thanks y'all.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Although pics were excellent, that motion lag when taking photos of my kids/dog (especially in lower light) was awful at launch. Is it much better now?

I can't say if it's improved or not since launch, but I will say it's very inconsistent. Sometimes I get great indoor shots of my dogs,other times they look horrible. I guess that can be said about any phone camera, really. I'd say if indoor pics of kids/pets is a must for you and was this was previously a "thorn in your side" during your first go 'round with the S22U, I cannot see you being happy with the results if you opt for S22U Round 2.

I will say though that I feel the S22U has improved in this scenario over past Samsung devices. But for consistent, nice looking indoor pics of my dogs I rely on my Pixel 6 Pro.

Last edited:

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree with @YankInDaSouth.

I have a parrot. I can't get a decent picture of her as she won't hold still. I get amazing pictures of my Sister's parrot. He poses for you. So much detail. You can count his eyelashes. Not my girl. Always blurry. I had a neighborhood cat hop into the drivers seat of my car. Beautiful coloring. I couldn't get a decent picture.

The camera is great in everything else I shoot, but no so with moving critters.

Kids grow so fast, I'd keep the iPhone.

Last edited:

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
This just made me giggle ??????

I have a parrot. I can't get a decent picture of her as she won't hold still. I get amazing pictures of my Sister's parrot. He poses for you. So much detail. You can count his eyelashes. Not my girl. Always blurry. I had a neighborhood cat hop into the drivers seat of my car. Beautiful coloring. I couldn't get a decent picture.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm really intrigued to see how this new Samsung AI app a few people have posted about here in this forum affects pics.. it says it can fix the blur etc. Anyone tried it? I posted a few blurred pics in another thread to see if anybody could have a go but will try here. This could be the game changer for me. Thanks guys. :)

Attachments

• 0163D10F-5F57-4FDC-9DD9-2F6CD0848443.jpg
    0163D10F-5F57-4FDC-9DD9-2F6CD0848443.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 58
  • C6BB859C-794D-4F7E-938B-CAEADD95E5FF.jpg
    C6BB859C-794D-4F7E-938B-CAEADD95E5FF.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 9A168FFE-EAE5-48B5-BF87-97D356D7EB50.jpg
    9A168FFE-EAE5-48B5-BF87-97D356D7EB50.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 56

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I made this switch in March and I'm pretty happy with the S22 Ultra. I will say, if you have a lot of family and friends on iOS nat having iMessage and Facetime IS a drag. Also, IME, the S22U's battery life is not anywhere near as good as the 13 Pro Max's.
I notice little things like the Waze app doesn't work quite as well on my S22U as it seems to work on my other half's iPhone 12 Pro Max (it will crash or lock up when using Android auto) but IME Android apps are usually not quite as refined as their iOS counterparts (though I'm sure a few will argue this).

Other than the aforementioned I love my S22U's. I have 2 personal and one for work and may sell one. ...but not to get an iPhone.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm really intrigued to see how this new Samsung AI app a few people have posted about here in this forum affects pics.. it says it can fix the blur etc. Anyone tried it? I posted a few blurred pics in another thread to see if anybody could have a go but will try here. This could be the game changer for me. Thanks guys. :)
If this is what I am thinking it is, I think it's baked into Samsung's Gallery app. It's under "Suggestions" ... You get different options to " Fix Up" pictures based on what's happening in the pic.

Screenshot_20220723-115050_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220723-115102_Gallery.jpg

I do believe I've seen something specifically for blur, but when I went in there today there was no option to correct blur. There was an option to remaster a pic, but I noticed little difference:

Screenshot_20220723-115114_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220723-115125_Gallery.jpg

I do think I've seen options to reduce blur in the past and saving the "after" pictures quite a few times. But, as far as I can tell the options are auto generated ... It's not like Google's Magic Eraser feature where you can play with it on any pic.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If this is what I am thinking it is, I think it's baked into Samsung's Gallery app. It's under "Suggestions" ... You get different options to " Fix Up" pictures based on what's happening in the pic.

View attachment 346846
View attachment 346848

I do believe I've seen something specifically for blur, but when I went in there today there was no option to correct blur. There was an option to remaster a pic, but I noticed little difference:

View attachment 346845
View attachment 346847

I do think I've seen options to reduce blur in the past and saving the "after" pictures quite a few times. But, as far as I can tell the options are auto generated ... It's not like Google's Magic Eraser feature where you can play with it on any pic.

No I think it is a completely different app (this one)..

Attachments

• CE566B29-8269-4F6B-A6EC-E4CBDB928656.jpg
    CE566B29-8269-4F6B-A6EC-E4CBDB928656.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 47

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I made this switch in March and I'm pretty happy with the S22 Ultra. I will say, if you have a lot of family and friends on iOS nat having iMessage and Facetime IS a drag. Also, IME, the S22U's battery life is not anywhere near as good as the 13 Pro Max's.
I notice little things like the Waze app doesn't work quite as well on my S22U as it seems to work on my other half's iPhone 12 Pro Max (it will crash or lock up when using Android auto) but IME Android apps are usually not quite as refined as their iOS counterparts (though I'm sure a few will argue this).

Other than the aforementioned I love my S22U's. I have 2 personal and one for work and may sell one. ...but not to get an iPhone.

Nah...I'm not that bothered about imessage. I rarely use it. Most of my contacts are through WhatsApp. And I have FT on my iPad if I need it although I also use WhatsApp. I did worry about the loss of Airdrop but then again, Snapdrop seems just as good and reliable.

When I did briefly have the S22U at launch, I loved everything else about it. The form factor, the screen, the constantly finding something new in it that made me go "wow". Sure, some of the apps are a little rough around the edges but the being able to do so much more with it is the trade off. It's just the camera really that gives me pause for thought.

The other issue that I couldn't get over was the GW being nowhere near as good as my Apple Watch but now we have Wear OS AND Google Assistant makes that so much less of an issue. Not having to use Bixby voice reply etc.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site

Try using Single Take and see what results you get.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you made a purchasing decision, OP? I can understand what you're saying about the ease of use between your Apple Watch and iPhone 13 Pro Max. I feel the same way about my Google Pixel 5 and my Chromebook.

However, I'd you are really thinking of giving the S22 Ultra another go -- I say go for it! You can always return it again (no shame in that!) if you decide to stick with Apple!

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you decide!

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I know, I know.. another of those threads where somebody is asking if they should switch! But humour me, ha ha!

Cos I'm thinking of switching. And would appreciate all of your feedbacks!

I'm on the 13 Pro Max and have been really looking into the S22 Ultra the last few days.

My background is that I have flip flopped between iOS and Android over the years. I used to be a dedicated Samsung user and stuck with them from the first Galaxy through to the S7.. I've tilted towards Apple since but have always wanted to go back to Android and never managed to stick. I often get the new Galaxy and send it back reluctantly. I got the S22 Ultra on release and loved it but there were a few things that led to me returning it and now I'm ready to give it another go.

I LOVE the design of the S22 Ultra. Whereas I look at my 13PM and it's nice looking but not as nice. It's also much easier to hold than the iPhone and that counts for a lot.

One thing I miss is Airdrop as I do use my iPad a lot but I think Snapdrop is ok to replace it with. I don't care really about imessage because I use WhatsApp and I can still facetime on my iPad if I need to (which is never too far away from me!)

One reason i returned the S22 Ultra was the camera. Although pics were excellent, that motion lag when taking photos of my kids/dog (especially in lower light) was awful at launch. Is it much better now?

The 13PM max also does excellent video. Does the S22U still have that weird jello effect?

I also returned it because I couldn't adapt from an Apple Watch to a Galaxy Watch. Although now the GW4 runs Wear OS, that's a little less of an issue. Is anyone with a GW4 able to confirm if you can now easily reply to WhatsApp messages using Google Voice dictation on the watch rather than Samsung's please (even when running Wear OS, it made you use Bixby before GA was launched on the GW but now we have Google Assistant, I'm hoping that's changed.)

Thanks y'all.

I use to do the same thing but the reality is apple devices just work wear as android devices have glitches all the time. I have the 13 pro for 3 months but my son needs a new device so I am getting the android bug again.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I don't have kids or pets so the camera to me is excellent... I have no issues with my Android phones including running, Android auto which I mainly run on my Android phone in the car... I agree with some that some Android app sometimes run a little bit differently than iOS, but for the most part I have no complaints... That said, I do have the luxury of running with two phones daily and one on each side ... It really all comes down to how a person adapts to the daily usage with a phone and normally that what's more important determines what side you stay on..