Anybody else downsize to a Pixel from a big phone?

BamaDave

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
My Galaxy S6 Edge Plus croaked two days ago without warning (only 16 months old and still with a $290 payoff... ugh!), which put me on the spot for choosing a new phone quickly. I kept debating between an iPhone 7S Plus, Galaxy S7 Edge, and a Pixel XL. My Verizon store was out of Pixel XL's, and I'm not sure why but I just went for it and chose the Pixel. So far I'm really glad I did. I'm enjoying having a "smaller" phone again that I can use with one hand. And I'm especially enjoying the stripped down Android experience, minus all of the preloaded garbage from Samsung and Verizon (I was surprised that Verizon hadn't loaded up this phone... must be a stipulation with Google?). I know the Edge has that very cool look, but my own personal experience was that I rarely used the edge features. Also, once a case is on the phone, a lot of that novel coolness of the look goes away. The Pixel smoothness is great (although the S6 Edge Plus was also very fluid), and my favorite thing is the finger sensor on the back! LOL. Oh yeah, the $10 per month deal from Verizon was pretty sweet too...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was using the Nexus 6 and 6p before getting my Pixel (sailfish) in Oct.
I was wanting a smaller device an happy with the Pixel as my daily driver.
I still have my N6 and 6p I use on another line by the way

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I also settled for pixel because store was out of XL stock. I came from droid turbo 2 (5.5"). I'm happy with my decision. I've adapted to the smaller display and don't really miss the extra size.

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I also settled for pixel because store was out of XL stock. I came from droid turbo 2 (5.5"). I'm happy with my decision. I've adapted to the smaller display and don't really miss the extra size.

Ditto. I've had the Note 3, Note 4, and Note 7, and when I had to trade in my Note 7, I got the S7 Edge. I was worried that I'd miss the size of the Notes, but got tired of waiting for the Pixel XL, so went with the regular Pixel. Not missing the bigger size at all.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I tried to downsize from my Note 4, then Note 7 to the XL. But I was so used to the 5.7" screen that I returned the XL and got the V20. I found myself having to enlarge the screen manually a lot on the XL. Other than that, I thought the XL was a great phone.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I went from the s7 edge to the pixel XL, returned the pixel XL BC it was too big and clunky and got the pixel. So happy with it. The size is oh so perfect!

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Have a 6P and iPhone 6S+ Bought the small Pixel. Can't bring myself to go back to the larger phones. Will sell the 6P and trade the 6S+ for a smaller version.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I went from iPhone 6s to Galaxy S7 Edge to Pixel. The Edge kinda ruined me for bigger screens. My 50+ eyes prefer a larger screen.

I came across a sweet deal on a Pixel XL and jumped on it. I do like the larger screen of the XL but I really like how "compact" the regular Pixel is. I'm torn between the two.

Right now I use the Pixel as my daily driver and the Pixel XL on wifi at home in the evenings. Decisions, decisions. I have to let one go but I'm just not sure which one yet...

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I went from a 5.7" 6P to a 5" Pixel. My only concern was downgrading from 1,440p to 1,080p. So far, I don't notice any difference in quality. The 6P's white is kind of yellowish while the Pixel is more bluish, which I prefer. As for size, I prefer this size a lot better. It's so much easier to handle.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I went from iPhone 6s to Galaxy S7 Edge to Pixel. The Edge kinda ruined me for bigger screens. My 50+ eyes prefer a larger screen.

I came across a sweet deal on a Pixel XL and jumped on it. I do like the larger screen of the XL but I really like how "compact" the regular Pixel is. I'm torn between the two.

Right now I use the Pixel as my daily driver and the Pixel XL on wifi at home in the evenings. Decisions, decisions. I have to let one go but I'm just not sure which one yet...

Stick with the XL. I went from an XL to a regular Pixel and there is a huge difference in battery life. I ended up returning the regular Pixel and going back to the XL and glad I did. The regular Pixel had me charging it before dinner time every day. I can go a day and a half with the XL before having to put it on a charger.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Went from various Moto phones all 5.5+ to Pixel. Love having a smaller phone. Wish all manufacturers would offer one.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I went from a Nexus 6P to the Pixel. For me though it was not a downgrade or a compromise, it was something that was a long time coming. I have always been a fan of pure Google devices and while I have nothing but good things to say about my 6P, it was just too large. For a long time now I have been frustrated by the lack of a smaller pure android phone that isn't a performance compromise. Honestly overall I was very happy with my 6P and ready to keep it for another year. If the Pixel had only come in the XL size I probably wouldn't have even considered buying it. But the fact that it was available as smaller phone was the one spec that tipped it over the edge and made it a must buy for me.

So far I couldn't be happier with my decision. I can easily see this being the start of a long relationship with this phone. I give it at least 18 months barring anything unfortunate happening between now and then. Which is fairly unprecedented for me someone who averages around 8 months or so between upgrades. In fact I had my 6P for just over a year which is the longest I have held onto one phone in a long time. But I just can't imagine a phone coming out anytime soon that is going to be able to offer me a compelling reason to upgrade from the Pixel.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have and love my 5.5 inch iPhone 7 Plus, but on the Android side I went from the 5.5 One Plus 3 to the Pixel (XLs were sold out) and just could not get used to the smaller size. I'm still going to use it for my Daydream, BUT I bought a 5.9 inch Mate 9! ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP, so glad that you are enjoying your Pixel! And I definitely see what you're saying about downgrading to a smaller size after using a bigger phone for a long time - it's refreshing! And yes, a fingerprint sensor on the back of a device is awesome!

Google is the best. I love Nexus/Pixel phones, and their emphasis on stock Android (or as close to stock as you can get). Who knows - maybe Google does have some kind of deal with carriers to eliminate the amount of bloatware found on their devices. About time, I say! Bloatware is annoying lool.

Anyway, enjoy! Thank you for the post!

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Stick with the XL. I went from an XL to a regular Pixel and there is a huge difference in battery life. I ended up returning the regular Pixel and going back to the XL and glad I did. The regular Pixel had me charging it before dinner time every day. I can go a day and a half with the XL before having to put it on a charger.

I am noticing a definite difference in battery life. The regular Pixel gets me through the day easily but the XL seems to be a real beast on the battery.

I'm kinda leaning to the XL mainly due to screen size. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the smaller phone when I'm used to larger.

Still undecided though. I'm gonna pop the sim into the XL and carry it for a few days and see how it goes.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Where are folks finding the larger Pixel? It's been completely sold out every time I have checked! lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Where are folks finding the larger Pixel? It's been completely sold out every time I have checked! lol

I got it on pre-order :). After that though .. No clue where to find one lol. I had to watch the BestBuy site like a hawk to wait for Google WiFi to come in stock to snag one ASAP... luckily I was able to :).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willowbark