Anybody have any tips to haggle free stuff from their carrier?

desk789

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a HTC Droid Eris and their were numerous problems with it so they gave me a Droid Incredible in September. In November it broke so they sent me a refurbished like new replacement. The trackball was defected and I sent it back and they sent me another refurbished one and it was also defected, then they sent me a good one, and around new yrs it just erased some of my pictures so they sent me another one with the condition that when the HTC thunderbolt comes available refurbished they will send me one. But I would really like a new one because I was told and I see for myself that refurbished phones are usually defective. Anybody have any ideas as to how to convince them to give me a brand new one as opposed to a refurbished one?

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Call and connect to the disconnect department and tell them you want to cancel your service.

This usually works for me. Although I usually have planned on canceling. Once in a while I'll fake it just to get a better deal.

But retention tends to offer discounts and offers at this point.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi hate getting refurbs! If you get 4 or 5 refurbs, for the same phone, they are known to let you pick a new one of a different model. One of our mods had the original Droid. He went through 4 refurbs and they finally told him he could choose between a new Fascinate or an Incredible. The key is talking really nicely but firm.

I think that 30 day policy has either changed to 15 days or is about to :(

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
VZW did away with that policy. Old policy was 3 refurbs and you get a new phone but I went through a dozen Storm9550 and all the time they said I can either pay full price for another phone or get a replacement. They never offered me a new phone.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not so sure they did away with that policy, I genuinely feel they just didn't like giving it to people with the Storm. I can't tell you how many replacements I went through with that thing, and never once could I get them to budge on th refurb thing. Yet I know people who have gotten them to do it with their Android phones several times.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi hate getting refurbs! If you get 4 or 5 refurbs, for the same phone, they are known to let you pick a new one of a different model. One of our mods had the original Droid. He went through 4 refurbs and they finally told him he could choose between a new Fascinate or an Incredible. The key is talking really nicely but firm.

I think that 30 day policy has either changed to 15 days or is about to :(

I wish they offered me a fascinate (although as Cory knows, I am not a fan of samsung). It was between a certified like new Droid 2 or Incredible. I picked the Incredible.

I work in a compliance department for a sales company so i know how to handle calls like this. Here are some tips:

1) No matter how mad you are, never talk to the person like you are. Be nice to them and talk with a polite tone. These people are not at fault for whatever issues you are having. If you talk to them in a rude manner then they will most likely not go the extra mile for you.

2) Never speak to a regular customer service rep. They do not have any power to do anything aside from reading from a script. Ask to speak to a supervisor at the beginning of the call. They are the only people who can bend the rules and bit. If they tell you that none are available, ask for another person who is higher up in the chain of command. If they are "not available" then tell them to have a supervisor call you when they are available.

3) Do not expect to get exactly what want. They will try to work with you but there are limits to what they can offer you.

4) Do not make threats at all when you're on the phone with them unless you really mean it. If you threaten to cancel your contract if your demands are not met, you will look foolish when they say ok.

5) If the person on the phone is not helping you at all, don't worry. Call again the next day. Each person is different in the way they handle calls.

6) Just because the person tells you that they are putting you on hold doesn't mean they can't hear you. If there isn't any music while you are on hold then ods are that they just muted their microphone but can still hear what your saying. Always be mindful of what your saying because it can come back to bite you in butt.

7) Last but not least (even though I said this for tip 1,it is by far the most important) always be respectful to the person you are speaking to. They are just doing their job. The majority of customers are jerks and are extremely inconsiderate. By being polite and respectful, you stand out as being that nice customer who was treated them like they are a person. Customers like that are few and far between so it is nice to speak to a customer who treats them like a human being.

Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

desk789

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They only let let you get a new phone after a lot of refurbs if you agree to a new 2 year contract

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
They only let let you get a new phone after a lot of refurbs if you agree to a new 2 year contract

You are correct for the most. Things like this are very circumstantial. There are situations (or should I say loop holes) that can potentially work. The problem with this is that these type of situations occur few and far between.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Not that this has much to do with the subject, but I figured I'd share my experience. When I got my Aria, I found it on Amazon for $49, but because I get a corporate discount, Amazon couldn't process the upgrade. I called up AT&T, and explained the situation, and they gave it to me for the Amazon price (it was $129 through ATT at the time). I didn't have to push it, and kept my cool, and got what I wanted (the alternative would have been to remove the corporate discount). Not sure how this helps, just sharing my experience.