Anyone else having issues with 5G connection?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I noticed yesterday and today, when I was in areas with weaker cell signals (using T-Mobile), that my antenna seems to "lock up." The phone continues to show "5G" (sub-6 Ghz, not mmWave) and full bars but I have no data connection (and cannot call, due to VoLTE). Just curious if anyone else has had a similar issue?

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
No my flip 3 has consistently locked in 5g on the T-Mobile network as well. Do you have any other phone to compare it to? Possibly tower issues in the area?

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I had to get a new 5G SIM. I already had a 5G SIM in my Note 20U, but when I switched it to the Flip 3 I only got LTE. Even when I went to the AT&T store to activate my Watch 4 and update all the IMEI data on my account, I still only got LTE on the Flip while sitting inthe store. They swapped for a new SIM and came up right away as 5G.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine shows 5G in areas I know support it. (Verizon) The other day I was riding with someone with an Iphone 12 and we both had 5g and lte in the same areas.

rutt88

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
I had to get a new 5G SIM. I already had a 5G SIM in my Note 20U, but when I switched it to the Flip 3 I only got LTE. Even when I went to the AT&T store to activate my Watch 4 and update all the IMEI data on my account, I still only got LTE on the Flip while sitting inthe store. They swapped for a new SIM and came up right away as 5G.

Stupid question but gotta ask: when I take the sim out of my S10 and input it in the Flip (same provider, Xfinity Mobile) I might not get the 5G? If I have to swap out the SIM then, will I lose any info saved on the old Sim? Or is that not how it works?

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question but gotta ask: when I take the sim out of my S10 and input it in the Flip (same provider, Xfinity Mobile) I might not get the 5G? If I have to swap out the SIM then, will I lose any info saved on the old Sim? Or is that not how it works?

When we inserted my new SIM, it made no difference. All my data, contacts, texts, etc still there. As far as I know, all that stuff these days saves to the RAM in the phone, since we no longer have removable memory card. None gets saved to the SIM itself. Swap out the new one from your provider and you should have no problem.

You might not even lose 5G assess. My rep in the store told me the 5G "should" carry over, but sometimes doesn't. The whole swap out took less than 15 minutes in the store.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Just an update, the phone has been fine the last few days. I'm about ready to say it was some sort of tower and/or congestion/T-Mobile issue those two times. I've not seen it replicated since, I've had a reliable connection.

brucesmays

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I kept having 5G issues, showed 5G, but no connection. Went into Verizon and got a new SIM card. I would just keep inserting the same SIM card as I bought new unlocked phones from Samsung and that SIM card wasn’t provisioned for 5G. All fixed now.

rutt88

Aug 15, 2021
Visit site
I kept having 5G issues, showed 5G, but no connection. Went into Verizon and got a new SIM card. I would just keep inserting the same SIM card as I bought new unlocked phones from Samsung and that SIM card wasn’t provisioned for 5G. All fixed now.

How do I know if I'm on 5G?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174