Anyone else put off by the rear fingerprint scanner?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I still have my Galaxy S5 which is going well. I was looking to possibly replace it with either the S8 or Note 8 but am not considering the S8 because of that awkwardly placed rear fingerprint scanner.

Is the fingerprint scanner a deal breaker for anyone else? I cannot understand how having to pick up the phone and then fumble your finger at the back is convenient. Especially next to the camera lens, which I am sure people will smudge constantly as they attempt to unlock their phone.

I think this is a mistake on Samsung's part. I would rather have the bottom bezel a bit wider to accommodate a front facing scanner.

Anyone else?

wolfedude88

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of it myself. But I will say I was using my brother in laws s7 edge and my finger felt more natural there than it would have if it was in the center back.

Still not sold but I'm not against it either yet.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Nothing will stop me from upgrading. I don't mind it but just prefer it on the front especially when I my phone is mounted in the car or sitting on the desk. Obviously it's better when you're holding since it's just more natural for you index finger.

I'm questioning if this is just another move to get ahead of Apple? I really hate when companies feel the need to do this. Again are fans begging for the Fingerprint Scanner to be removed and place on the back?

Design wise I'm sure they can come up with a better solution. If Samsung did this on the 7 series then I wouldn't even question it but the timing is ridiculous.

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind it since I've never had a phone with a finger print scanner. I'll be using Smart Lock with my Garmin Watch and Car Bluetooth so it won't matter for the most part for me.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm left handed, so if my finger doesn't fit comfortably on the rear sensor I'll definitely stick with my S7 or upgrade to a different phone.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of it myself. But I will say I was using my brother in laws s7 edge and my finger felt more natural there than it would have if it was in the center back.

Still not sold but I'm not against it either yet.

I feel the same way......I can make it on my S7 edge. But it feels more natural on my Pixel XL to be honest.
But I am going to wait until I try it a few times to really pass judgment.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm left handed, so if my finger doesn't fit comfortably on the rear sensor I'll definitely stick with my S7 or upgrade to a different phone.

I always pick up my phones left handed even though I am right handed. Just tried it on my S7 edge and it was not an easy stretch at all! Very counter intuitive to say the least.....

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty close to where I normally keep my finger so I'm not totally upset about it, but I would prefer it on the front. I'm hoping this is just a stop gap until they can put it in the screen.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I was skeptical about the fingerprint scanner in the center back but after using it in my Honor 8, I couldn't be happier. The back is perfect, as you pick up the phone your finger rests there automatically. You will do this as an instinct once you try out.

Now, that said, S8's placement near the camera - that I can tell how excited I am unless I try once.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
i still would rather have it up front as i use my thumb to unlock mines (S7e). I also got smaller hands so my finger is a inch or two below where it would be.

Havent tried holding a S7 so not sure where it would be on there.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I still have my Galaxy S5 which is going well. I was looking to possibly replace it with either the S8 or Note 8 but am not considering the S8 because of that awkwardly placed rear fingerprint scanner.

Is the fingerprint scanner a deal breaker for anyone else? I cannot understand how having to pick up the phone and then fumble your finger at the back is convenient. Especially next to the camera lens, which I am sure people will smudge constantly as they attempt to unlock their phone.

I think this is a mistake on Samsung's part. I would rather have the bottom bezel a bit wider to accommodate a front facing scanner.

Anyone else?
I like rear FPS, however don't like the placement for the S8

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I`ve a Nexus 6P and find the figerprint scanner on the back centre to be spot on ,not sure if an offset scanner would feel quite"right".

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too thrilled of its location either, to be honest. But I guess we'll get a better idea of how it works when we are able to hold it in our hands and such. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34