Anyone have any tips on how to make a better scan? when using scanner app?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any tips on how to make a better scan when using scanner app?

For example how to make a paper flatter (e.g. newspaper), or scan a book page flatter so the book will not curve inwards sometimes showing a dark shadow or blur near the middle of the book

I am also wondering if there is some sort of physical tool to do a better scan. Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You could try a piece of clear plastic, glass, lexan, etc on top of the paper if it's wrinkled. Using additional lights from different angles so you don't need the camera flash will help remove shadows. I use an app called Cam Scanner that can flatten a curved paper image to some extent and make color corrections. I've only used it for receipts, not book pages. You may want to give it a try.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.intsig.camscanner&token=vrj0WORM

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Where is CamScanner files stored? I can see the scanned file inside the app, but I cannot see it in CamScanner folder. I want to transfer the pic to PC.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It stores them in the Cam Scanner folder, but in a hidden ".images" folder. If you're not seeing that, check your file browser for a setting to view hidden files or try a third party app that allows it. When you tether it to your computer, it should display the folder in its browser without changing anything.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
It stores them in the Cam Scanner folder, but in a hidden ".images" folder. If you're not seeing that, check your file browser for a setting to view hidden files or try a third party app that allows it. When you tether it to your computer, it should display the folder in its browser without changing anything.

I guess "tether it to your computer" means connect usb to PC and access it via PC. When I connect the phone to my PC, I did not see .images folder. Phone\CamScanner only have 2 folders [images] and [OcrText].

When I use the phone My Files (default S4 file manager) I also did not see a hidden ".images" folder inside CamScanner folder

When I use the phone ES File manager, I also did not see a hidden ".images" folder inside CamScanner folder.

How to see the hidden ".images" folder.?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's what mine looks like in the ES File Explorer app and you can see
two images folders, but the hidden one has the pics. I wonder if the period was screwing with the pc, but I thought it didn't matter when viewing that way. It's been so long since I've done that... So try a browser from the phone and see if that lets them show up?

Attachments

• 1418471268370.jpg
    1418471268370.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 4

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
In the phone I can see them now, I need to enable show hidden files in the file manager settings first.

In the PC, I cannot see them. I think the period infront of the folder name somehow make the folder unable to appear in PC.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's good. You may be able to edit the folder name to remove the period so the computer can see them and reverse one you're done so the app doesn't act up. Or worse comes to worse, you could copy the pics to another visible folder on your phone, then move with the pc.

Vanaia

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have any tips on how to make a better scan when using scanner app?

For example how to make a paper flatter (e.g. newspaper), or scan a book page flatter so the book will not curve inwards sometimes showing a dark shadow or blur near the middle of the book

I am also wondering if there is some sort of physical tool to do a better scan. Thanks

Try this hack to get the most out of it:
- get a good scanner app (ScanWritr does the trick really well)
- put your document on a dark background to increase the contrast (helps to eliminate the shadows and helps with automatic paper detection)
- if you have a glass table you can hold the document with a black background underneath the glass to make it as flat as possible.
- a good, soft (diffused) lighting also helps. You don't really want to rely on the camera's flash for scanning because it's just too hard and pointy for the job.

Of course at the end of the day you can't really squeeze out more than your camera allows, so it helps if you have a high-end device.

Good luck!