Anyone jumping to Galaxy S II next week?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have and Atrix I bought outright and still have an upgrade to use. I will probably wait a week to see the feedback on the SGS II. I really like my Atrix though, I picked it up after the Gingerbread update and it's solid.

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of jumping on the SGS II?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
i am really tempted to.... but i have to see the phone first and play with it. i dont like two things about it: the display brightness and lack of notification light. atrix's pentile display is much brighter and easier to read on direct sunlight and indoors too. i compared my phone with nexus s and infuse and didnt like their displays... on the other hand its a little bigger, much thinner and looks very attractive. plus the processing speed is a lot better than tegra...

ozziedog

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I had my atrix replace three times before giving up on it, one of the reasons was it was impossible to read the screen outdoors in direct sunlight, random restarts, random shuting off and freezing up. Hope the Galaxy S II is better than that.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I was just about to post a thread like this. I'm torn between the two. How many of you current Atrix owners have a problem with Lag? I'd hate to use an upgrade for a phone that isn't as fast as it could be. That's my concern about the Atrix. All I've heard about the GSII is it is faster than anything out there. Also battery life is an issue with me. I've heard that both can get you thru a day.

AndroiderX

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I had my atrix replace three times before giving up on it, one of the reasons was it was impossible to read the screen outdoors in direct sunlight, random restarts, random shuting off and freezing up. Hope the Galaxy S II is better than that.

i'm with ya on the screen being impossible to read outdoors in sunglight...are these Sammie LED screens better?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
i'm with ya on the screen being impossible to read outdoors in sunglight...are these Sammie LED screens better?

I had a captivate before the atrix and have never had either above 30% brightness and they are comparable outside. Obviously if the sun is shining on the screen it will be difficult to see the screen on either. In the car etc, no problems with either.

It took me a while to get used to the higher resolution and truer colors of the atrix over the AMOLED but I like it fine. There is a huge difference in battery life for me. My atrix battery last much longer than the captivate battery with my usage patterns. I suspect the SGSII battery will be similar to the captivate although it is a 1650 mAh battery vs a 1500 but the screen is a tad larger.

I have attempted to see what the fuss is about the pentile screen versus the AMOLED as far as clarity and cannot see what the big deal is. And yes, I perfect vision.

Last edited:

imarek3

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll stay with the Atrix, I had a Captivate and don't get me wrong, the Captivate was a good phone, but the Atrix is so much better. Here are some of the issues I had with the Captivate:
1) bad lag problem because of the file system they chose.
2) GPS was sketchy at first.
3) System and User storage was not separate, which meant that upgrades (i.e. from 2.1 to 2.2) wiped out your applications and their data and settings.
4) upgrades were done through Kies, which barely worked and meant to upgrade, you had to connect your phone to your PC.
5) Battery life, had to charge every night and some times during the day.
6) Samsung was very slow coming out with upgrades. The Captivate is officially still on 2.2 where-as Atrix is on 2.3.4

Some of these issues were big ones for me and the reason I switched to the Atrix. I will not seriously consider another Samsung Android phone until they fix the above issues and how they deploy their updates and their OS.

I have really liked Samsung phones in the past, but my experience with the Captivate and some of their recent non-smartphones makes me steer clear of them.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've read just about every review I can and compared the Atrix to the new phones coming out. Nothing about the newer phones is that outstanding that would make me give up the Atrix. Now if you had asked me before the Gingerbread update it would have been a different story.

Creek

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I might if the the fee to cancel isn't that much.

I don't see any reason I need to replace my Atrix with this 6 month old phone. I'm surprised no one has looked closely at the specs. The Atrix has 9 hours talk time while the SII has 3 hours.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a sgs II yesterday and spent some time setting up. I will post some thoughts later but I am sending this from my ATRIX which I am still rocking! My initial thoughts are that the Atrix compares very well against the sgs II.

Last edited:

rquinn19

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a sgs II yesterday and spent some time setting up. I will post some thought later but I am sending this from my ATRIX which I am still rocking! My initial thoughts are that the Atrix compares very well against the sgs II.

I agree. Like someone said earlier or maybe somewhere else...now that Skype video works on Tegra 2 the Atrix is the better device. Screen is not that much bigger. I'm 6'4 and would've loved the 4.5"

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
The Atrix has 9 hours talk time while the SII has 3 hours.
Where did you get that info from? GSII has up to 8 hrs talk time.
But anyway I played with it a bit at ATT store and it looks and feels somewhat cheap to me. much like Infuse but a bit smaller... also the screen is darker even with brightness brought all the way up and no notif. light. I'm pretty much happy with my Atrix right now.

MrszBerry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Like someone said earlier or maybe somewhere else...now that Skype video works on Tegra 2 the Atrix is the better device. Screen is not that much bigger. I'm 6'4 and would've loved the 4.5"

Skype also works on the SGS2. I sure do miss the atrix and the led notifications. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CR5