Anyone plan on selling SGSIII for profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I used my upgrade to get the SGSIII at the discounted price. I think I can sell it while it's hot for a decent buck. Probably use the profit (and then some) for the Note 2. Anyone else planning to not even open the box and CL or eBay this device?

SAHARAT

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
OK.. I'll bite....
Nope, not this guy.... I'm going to run it into the ground,,,, or die tryin...:D

EDITED TO ADD------> Besides, This may/will be my last one a discounted price........

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
i have questions...

if you used your upgrade now june/july (normally puts you under contract for 2 years) and the note 2 comes out in oct/nov...you're then going to pay full price for the note 2?
why not just use your upgrade then and avoid all the ebay and paypal costs?
how much profit do you think you will make?
the phone can be bought new for $550...correct?

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i have questions...

if you used your upgrade now june/july (normally puts you under contract for 2 years) and the note 2 comes out in oct/nov...you're then going to pay full price for the note 2?
why not just use your upgrade then and avoid all the ebay and paypal costs?
how much profit do you think you will make?
the phone can be bought new for $550...correct?

$599 or $649 + tax for LTE versions....

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Trying to use the profit to buy another phone that you'll have to pay full retail price could result in actually losing money. For instance:

Buy a 16gb for 200
Sell it for 550 (at most because might as well pay full retail if going to be more than this)

Profit is 350. When the note comes out you'll have to pay full retail at around 600-650 meaning you wind up paying 250-300 of your own money.

Selling for profit works best if you get the phone at an extreme discount or you have no intentions on buying a phone anytime soon that you'll need to pay full retail. Unless you have another upgrade where the profit will pay for the note outright, I would say or really isn't worth the hassle. Might as well keep it and sell when it gets close to the note release. Just my opinion but good luck.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm buying it to use it. I suppose if I hate it (most likely due to the size), it would end up on EBay and I'd buy something else at full price or slightly used.

Scout_313

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the phone will be in high enough demand to turn it for a profit. I'm picking mine up so I can finally ditch my iPhone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
No.. Im paying full retail anyway.... Selling the Bionic though... Lol:cool:

Also paying full retail here. Selling my old phones to pay for it. The sgs3 will be the best phone on verizon at least for a little while, wouldn't want to use it then go back to something inferior.

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
With tax the phone would be $648 out right. Buying it cost $280 on contract. So, selling it for $650 would be a net gain $370, but you actually lose another $30 because of the upgrade fee. This brings you down to $340.

At this point if you purchase a phone that cost $570 before taxes it would be the equivalent of a $200 contract price today. Also you need to consider that new phones may cost $650 before tax, so you need to pay the difference then. If I could sell the phone for $678-700 I would consider selling it. The only way this will happen is if all the stores are sold out and someone is desperate for it now! This could happen. If I keep it I know it is a kick ass phone. Either way I will be a happy man.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I just did not want to throw away an upgrade -- because after the 28th, the subsidized prices go away (I want to keep the unlimited dream alive).

If I end up using the phone - maybe. But to me, it's like throwing $300 away if I DIDN'T upgrade...

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Mountainman, your reasoning is the same as mine. I probably would have a purchased a phone this fall if it were not for the fact I would lose out on my unlimited data plan. I figure if I keep the phone keeping the unlimited data will be worth its weight in gold in a few years. All my phones will be purchased at full price from here on out; in order to pay full price I will also need to sell my phones to subsidize the cost.

EGill#WP

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Burn your upgrade. Use the profit made selling the S3 through Craigslist to make purchasing of your next phone out right affordable. Recognize that you will never use an "upgrade" again if you wish to retain unlimited data for years to come. If you go this route the most sensible thing would be to sell the phone you keep when it is valued around $200. My next phone purchase will probably be a slightly used phone off of craigslist. Purchasing a slightly used phones will have cost less and have no taxes.

For instance, a Galaxy Nexus can be purchased for around $350 used on craigslist now. Hopefully it takes nearly two years for the S3 to be worth $150, and getting a 6 month old nexus will only be $200 more. I will always be behind the curve with this method, but I don't mind. My fascinate flies with ICS, and that is nearly a two year single core device.

livendive

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Trying to use the profit to buy another phone that you'll have to pay full retail price could result in actually losing money. For instance:

Buy a 16gb for 200
Sell it for 550 (at most because might as well pay full retail if going to be more than this)

Profit is 350. When the note comes out you'll have to pay full retail at around 600-650 meaning you wind up paying 250-300 of your own money.

If he wants a Note 2 and he wants to keep his unlimited plan, he was going to pay full retail in November regardless. If he makes $350 off his SGS3, that's effectively getting the Note 2 for $350 less, without giving up unlimited.

Sent from my DROID2 using Android Central Forums

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I was saving my wife's upgrade to get her the new iPhone when it comes out but with the changes I decided to burn the upgrade for the S3. Assuming the S3 is a suitable replacement for the Maxx, I will give the Maxx to my wife and sell her 64GB iPhone 4S (or the S3).

I will take that money and hold onto it until I need to purchase a new phone, basically subsidizing it myself.

I just did not want to throw away an upgrade -- because after the 28th, the subsidized prices go away (I want to keep the unlimited dream alive).

If I end up using the phone - maybe. But to me, it's like throwing $300 away if I DIDN'T upgrade...

asmallchild

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Thought about this briefly (as I'm just upgrading from a Nexus to squeeze one last drop from Verizon) but I'd rather play with the new device than try to make a profit off it :)

Now if something newer and shinier comes along, I may offload both the Nexus and SGS3 and try to buy the next device at full retail price to keep my unlimited plan :)

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With tax the phone would be $648 out right. Buying it cost $280 on contract. So, selling it for $650 would be a net gain $370, but you actually lose another $30 because of the upgrade fee. This brings you down to $340.

But why would someone want to pay you $650 for your phone when they could pay 2 dollars less to get it directly from VZW with a full warranty?

This kind of stuff would make sense in a scenario like the original transformer tablet, where the first shipment of preorders was followed by a couple of weeks of backorders. In that case, people were throwing stupid money away just to get one, but I see these being available at a VZW store within a week of preorders getting delivered.

-Suntan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15