Anyone using Hangouts for SMS instead of standard SMS app?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not handing over my text history to Google so it can get to know me more as a walking money machine.

@T-Mobile GN3

Hionimi

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I love it a lot, not having any issues with it, and I don't use MMS as my provider charges extra for them, so staying clear of that feature.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this question warranted a separate thread or not. I have found that MMS does work, however I do not know how to send or receive contacts through hangouts. When someone sends me a contact, it doesn't show up at all. I have to go into the default messaging app and then download the vcard or whatever type of file it is. I know this is a minor complaint, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

ayg

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Good for SMS. MMS doesn't work. Switched back to stock.

I have the same problem. It's because Hangouts isn't using the phone's APN information. It has a built in database which for many people is wrong, especially if you're on obscure international carriers or prepaid.

I switched back to stock till they decide to let Hangouts get its MMS information from the phones default APN settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Joker8891

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Needs to be integrated with Google Voice better and also allow Wifi/3G texting. The reason I ported my number to Google was to take off texting from my bill so I can SMS via data.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been using it now since the day it introduced on my Droid 4. I really like it so far. I'm sure Google will make some changes and improvements to it going forward. I just like having all my messaging in one app. Since I only use Google Voice for phone calls, I am Not really missing Google Voice integration into this app. The only thing I notice is every once in awhile my Droid 4 struggles just a bit when launching the app, it can take 4 or 5 seconds occasionally for the app too popup once I tap the icon. But I'm guessing that's my Droid 4's fault, not the app.

Posted via my Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Its much better than my stock app, but it crashes frequently and will often send 2 duplicates if I hit send then lock the screen.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with the emojis? Scrolling through them makes it lag a whole lot, very sporadic. It's much easier using Kii Keyboard's emojis.

JLadd4420

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ive been using it as my primary texting app for the past month with no problems at all. its pretty bland, but it gets the job done.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The only real advantage I noticed is the ability to share your location. That is surprisingly handy

Posted via Android Central App

just1nsanity

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried it..it's not bad but I really like the quick reply box that pops up when you receive a text with Textra. I probably won't switch over until Hangouts adds a quick reply box. This was my biggest issue with the iPhone.

fatfei

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I want to use it but a few issues, as I currently use the Samsung s4 stock messenger I like the feature of putting my phone to my face Whilst in sms and it immediately rings the person I am texting. Hangout won't do that. Also when I try to send a group message it doesn't appear to send as an sms but rather an online text.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I got a new version last night that is supposed to fix the 160 character SMS limit. I haven't tried it yet, has anyone else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hulkjr77