Anyone with experience with Chromebox??

AngieBeth

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
I have 2 Chromeboxes, one of which is not even a year old. The newer one is an Asus Chromebox 3-N017U - Celeron 3865U - 4 GB.

I have been using Chromebox for about 4 years, connected to my TV, and to my Suddenlink internet modem by Ethernet. I do NOT have wireless.

I have been using the newer Chromebox since 10/16/19, and I have not had connection problems (except the rare service outage) in all that time, until recently.

Does anyone have experience with Chromebox and can try to advise me on connection problems?

I will give more details as needed, if someone can try to help me.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Thank you for creating an account that will help communication tremendously. Have you done any or all of the usual things, restart the router, restart the modem (if separate items), verified the connection through the Chrome Box settings (not sure if Chrome Box includes a connection test with speed results like similar streaming devices) and finally have you considered doing a backup of the items stored on the device and doing a PowerWash of the device? I'm sure the latter is the least desirable but a fresh start and solving Google device problems kind of go hand in hand.

There seems to be a lot of information about Chromeboxes on YouTube, obviously I'm not an expert and you may not find one here, but exploring any source of information could be helpful.

I found this video that I think will work for either a Chrome Book or Box that explains how to troubleshoot connection issues... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u7mU3k3EiI

AngieBeth

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your response! I do not use a router, only the cable modem provided to me by Suddenlink. (I tried to use a router, but found I just did not have the ability to configure it.) I have been using modem only for nearly 20 years, and have only had a problem with losing connection once before, back before I was using Chromebox. Suddenlink gave me a new modem, and all was well. All was well even after I started using Chromeboxes, until recently.

This all started when Suddenlink started having multiple short outages of internet only (didn't lose TV or phone). During that time, not only my chromebox, but even my other two Windows computers would lose connection briefly (minutes) and then come back up.

Then, the other day, there was a complete outage of all 3 of my Suddenlink services for several hours overnight. When it did come back up the next morning, my Chromebox would no longer connect. My Windows laptop and desktop could connect just fine and do not lose connection. But the chromebox could not connect to ethernet. It would "turn on" the WiFi connection (which I keep turned off, because I don't have WiFi) and would look for WiFi connections. I would turn off WiFi again, but it simply could no longer establish an ethernet connection. Not only did I check all connections and cables, and run "network diagnostics", but I even hooked up my old chromebox, and the same thing happened. However, I could bring my laptop to the location where my Chromebox is, and use that ethernet cord/connection, and my laptop would connect just fine.

I have done everything I can do, short of Powerwash. I do not think it is an issue with the Chromebox, given that it happens to BOTH chromeboxes. (The older chromebox still worked just fine, but it had gone "out of support" and was no longer receiving auto-updates, so I bought the new one, which will get updates through 2025.

At this point, I am wondering if somehow, my provider is BLOCKING my Chromeboxes????

Another weird thing is that when I check "connected devices" in Chrome settings, it says "Android Phone" is the connected device. I don't understand that, since I don't even HAVE a smartphone of any kind, and Chromebox is the only Chrome device I use.

I do plan to contact ASUS tomorrow, and try to get some help.

Thanks for the video, and for taking the time to answer! If you, or anyone else, has any thoughts, I hope you will let me know. I am beyond frustrated. I am vision impaired, and REALLY need the use of the Chromebox on my big TV.