Question App to monitor another app, if not running re-launch it, if running, do nothing

jazer123

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Good day! I came across this forum and hoping that I can get answer to what I am looking for. Basically I am searching for a simple app in android that can monitor another app if it is running. If the monitored app/service is not running, it will try to re-launch it automatically else, not doing anything. That's the main function of that app I am looking for. Additional feature maybe just email notification for data gathering which is can be done later. Do you know an app that already exist with the function above for Android or anyone here can develop it? Thank you.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Sounds like the kind of thing a MacroDroid macro could do for you.
To a certain extent.
MacroDroid macros work on the concept of 'triggers' (i.e., an instantaneous event signifying a change of status). It is unable to constantly check the run state of anything. So for example, if you reboot your phone and the app in question is not running, MacroDroid does nothing (the absence of an app running is not a 'change').

OTOH, if the app is normally running and the OP just wants a safety net in case Android clears it (e.g., a background app with no status bar notification), then MacroDroid will work fine.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
You can use a Device Boot trigger to enure the target app is started up again. And an App Closure trigger to start it up again if it closes but you would need to include a check if the target app has become faulty and is continually, spontaneously closing. How best to do that would depend a lot on what the target app does - simplest may be to just bung out a notification that the app has been restarted then wait a few minutes to give the user a chance to manually check that all is as it should be again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good day! I came across this forum and hoping that I can get answer to what I am looking for. Basically I am searching for a simple app in android that can monitor another app if it is running. If the monitored app/service is not running, it will try to re-launch it automatically else, not doing anything. That's the main function of that app I am looking for. Additional feature maybe just email notification for data gathering which is can be done later. Do you know an app that already exist with the function above for Android or anyone here can develop it? Thank you.
Welcome to AC!
Which device you have ?
Android does already what your looking for on lot of current devices if app is not in use it will put to sleep then when you interact with it it wakes up.

jazer123

Mar 7, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all for the valuable comments. We have customized tablets distributed throughout our system, which operate autonomously. To manage them remotely and address any issues, we utilize TeamViewer. Our customized application is set to run upon boot-up and is meant to operate continuously. However, there are instances when Android terminates our app, possibly due to memory constraints on the tablet. Ideally, I'd like to monitor the app's status at intervals, such as every 5 minutes, but I haven't found an existing app with this specific functionality. As an interim solution, I plan to test MacroDroid. In the future, I aim to find a developer who can create a bespoke solution to address this recurring issue permanently. Additionally, this developer could also address another issue where the app fails to start automatically upon boot-up of the tablet. Once again, thank you all for your assistance.