App2SD vs Move to SD

GeekNJ

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new Droid 2 Global user and did some searching but didn't come up on an answer so here's my first question.

Is there a difference using App2SD on a Droid 2 Global phone vs going to Settings / Applications / Manage Applications and selecting a specific application and clicking Move to SD card ?

I saw a post or two indicate there's no need for App2SD and this built in feature results in the same thing, but I've noticed an application that mentions it supports App2SD but the built-in Move to SD card isn't enabled for that app. The specific one happens to be the Amazon app - Amazon.com - Android Application on the Android market . Maybe the description is incorrect for this app?

My main question though is App2SD handle moving to SD any better then what is built-in with the Droid 2 Global?

Thanks!

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
A better question is why would you move ANY apps to the SD using either method? The Droid 2 has 8GB of onboard memory that can only be used for app storage so you will never run out of space even if you just leave everything on the phone.

Whether you have a 8, 16, or 32GB card in your D2 moving any apps to the SD only takes space away from pictures, music, movies or any other type of file you could put on the SD. Not to mention that the write/read times are slower on the SD than the built-in memory, albeit not really measurable, but still slower.

Edit: It is also worth noting that certain apps that have widgets & support "Move to SD" (such as Pandora)...you will lose functionality of the widget if you move the app to the SD.

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree with El Jefe, I'm nowhere near out of app space on my phones and I'd rather save the space on the SD card for media. Plus not have to worry about which apps will still work if I upgrade to a 32GB card or decide to put videos on one SD card and MP3s on the other.

GeekNJ

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Maybe it's coming to this new phone off an older blackberry where I was always having to be aware of what was loaded and using memory.

Just to close this out, does anyone know if there is a difference between using the app and using the send to SD function within the Droid 2 Global?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think App2SD can move multiple apps with one swell foop while the built-in method is one at a time. I spent a lot of time moving apps from my SD card to internal memory when Froyo was released on my X - not I just need to check where things are installed when I first get a new app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlantisx