Apparently it's got FCC approval

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Even a few days ago, I was all about the Merge. But after doing a side by side comparison with the Thunderbolt, I'm pretty much over it. After reactivating my Droid the other day, I just don't think I can go back to a 3.7 inch screen. Not only that, but the ram is rather puny, the processor is slower than the Bolt, it doesn't have 4G, and to top it off, it had Bing the last time we saw it.

The form factor is undoubtedly lustworthy, but I can't deal with being even slightly older tech on day 1.

That being said, if you're on Verizon or Alltel and you need a world phone, the Merge is still a great option.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
handling a 3.7 inch screen, i believe it's about as close to the perfect medium. at 4.3 inches and such, it becomes too big that it barely fits your hands
the ram is not bad at all. I actually got to handle the merge in person and I tried to get it to lag by running as many things as possible and it is able to handle it without even a flicker.
the processor is slower than the bolt, but it is by no means slow. it's a 2nd gen snapdragon core that easily decimates the evo 4g.
in regards to 4g, rumor has it that the reason the merge got pulled back was because it was to be fitted with 4g, so your point is moot there.
and bing... well, bing is a #*$(%. and i think it's Verizon's fault.

mlpjunior

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Screen size is a preference thing I suppose. From what I've gathered though, most people feel that 4" is ideal. Having owned the Fascinate, I have to agree. In fact, I wish the Bolt had a slightly smaller screen.

As far as 4G, the device from the recent FCC filing did not include a 4G radio. Although, there was no mention of GSM radios either, so take that for what it's worth.

As far RAM, the Merge has less than the Fascinate, which launched over the summer. Not trying to put the phone down, but I think we just need to be realistic about the fact that it's basically just a G2 with Bing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
you're right. But this is not something new. The merge is known as the Verizon (or Alltel) variant of the G2 or Desire Z with Bing slapped on it.

On the other hand, I'm still not on the 4G train because I actually quite content with 3G speeds and I don't need my internet to be blazing fast. I use it mostly to check my emails and do a google maps search so, for me, I have no real need for 4G except that it's nifty to have.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm like most here. I was all set on the Merge ... a few months ago. Now with the Thunderbolt releasing very soon, Bionic coming, etc., I just can't seem to "settle" for the Merge now unless there have been some hardware upgrades to it since last November. The biggest thing the Merge has going for it IMO is the physical keyboard. Coming from a BlackBerry, I have a feeling that I'll just prefer the physical keyboard to a virtual one.

mputtr

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
to be honest, if you're using a GSM device, I think you and I will simply have to settle with the Desire Z. As much as I don't like the hinge, I've been reading about sticking extremely thing magnetic strip (not the ultra powerful ones) that are just strong enough to assist in holding the position more firmly.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is no way the merge will come out with the specs advertised months ago. The rumor was that is was held back for an upgrade. It will definitely have LTE IMO. 5 more days and we will know for sure. If it doesnt show up at MWC all hope is lost for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adas13