apps on sd card

mitch10s

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if you can store apps on your memory card, to free up space on the phone, or will they run too slowly, or be a PITA to access?

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if you can store apps on your memory card, to free up space on the phone, or will they run too slowly, or be a PITA to access?

Until someone get a working custom kernel for this phone you won't be able to use data2ext (which would move your entire data partition). However in the meantime there are two alternatives. Links2SD might work though I'm not certain it may in fact require a custom kernel as well. The simplest solution is to actually use the built in froyo options to move at least some apps to the sd, you could also use App2SD from the market to do this automatically for you.

The main issue with apps stored on the sd card is that at least sometimes shortcuts get lost on reboot and similar, moving the app back to the phone usually resolves those issues. Since the prevail doesn't have a lot of customization options yet I don't really think you will have to many options with that.

Some apps placed on the sd card will of course run slower than others simply do to the read rate of the sd card and similar.

In short, yes you can move apps to the sd card but if you have issues with a specific app, move it back to the phone ;)

Reactions: Shabbypenguin

rangerdanger

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Just to clarify, not all apps CAN be moved to the SD card, isn't that correct? And isn't that because of the app itself? I've gone into the settings/applications/manage applications and entered each one and move the ones that showed the option to move it to SD Card but not all of them HAVE that option and I read somewhere that it's because of the app itself (and not because it doesn't work on the SD card but that the option just isn't given in that app), although not sure why that is.

jctennis

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted use a terminal emulator to enter the following commands:
su
pm setInstallLocation 2

This puts new apps to sd by default. Remember, no widgets.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084