Are screen protectors even worth it?

withravenoushunger

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Every time I put one on there is dust and bubbles that are impossible to get out. I get so frustrated with it that I just want to smash my phone. Is it even worth the headache of putting it on? The screen is already pretty durable on my thunderbolt. I'm very careful with my phone so anything that would damage the screen protector will probably damage the screen too.

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your needs I'd say. I use them on all my devices. I'm partial to the "wet" apply protectors like those from BSE and Phatom Skins. Best bet when applying is to steam up your bathroom and do it in there - the steam will keep the dust to a bare minimum long enough for you to apply it. Plus if you screw up, you have time to pull it off and give it another shot. The wet ones will look "bubbly" for a day or so before they fully dry out, but they are the way to go IMO.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have them on my phone, and, I don't have any scratches yet. I have dropped my phone several times as well. But, then again, I don't have any scratches on the screen protector either. I guess I wont know if it's working until I drop it and get a scratch on the protector, but, not on the actual screen.

I guess it would all depend on the cost. I picked up a couple of three packs of these off Amazon. Each was like a dollar for my X2. If it was like 10 bucks though, I don't know, I would have had to have thought more about it.

As for the dust and bubbles, funny story. I used three of these before I got it on there right. What I didn't realize was that it was probably right from the beginning. The protector had plastic on both sides that needed to be removed before it looked right. I had what I thought was bubbles, but, once I removed the plastic, it was gone. The bubbles were between the plastic and the protector. As for the dust, just make sure to wipe it and blow off any dust for as long as you need to before you put on the protector. I have put these on two X2s and each time I spent at least a solid minute wiping off the screen before applying the protector. But, it was worth the investment because now you can't even tell that it's on there!!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't use screen protectors at all. Not for the past 3 or 4 years.

It all boils down to what type of lifestyle you have. If you love to stuff your device in your front pocket along with your keys and loose change, then I would advise a protector. If you stuff it into your pants pockets, always bumping into things, well, then use a protector. If you visit the beach frequently, of course it's mandatory. Sand will even marr the so called "gorilla glass".

I prefer a "flip cover" for my device. It protects the display, and most of the case. So far, in 1 year, it's pristine. A good cover, also protects it against the occasional drop. Can't even tell you how many shattered devices I've seen at airport terminals.... screen protector or not..

You pay a lot of money for your device, tabs included. You have to have respect for the care of it, unless you have unlimited money, and can get new devices faster than ex-lax at a constipation convention.

Besides, nobody wants to see a POS scratched up dented device when you go to the restraunt and slap it on the table. Especially girls. You can imagine their thoughts...

Unless I live on the beach, I prefer to use the "care and respect" method :D

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about other phones but I don't see a need on the Incredible 2. The phone has gorilla glass so unless you are very hard on phones you should need them. Then again I don't carry my phone in my pocket where items could scratch it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about other phones but I don't see a need on the Incredible 2. The phone has gorilla glass so unless you are very hard on phones you should need them. Then again I don't carry my phone in my pocket where items could scratch it.

Exactly. I made the mistake with an old Seimens phone several yrs ago. 4 months later..... damnnnn...... Looked like a belt sander went across it ;)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I had a screen protector on my Hero for about a year and a half. Then, my daughter decided to play with it face down on concrete... The screen protector came off and to my surprise the screen had no scratches. It's been over 9-months without a protector and all is fine. I carry it in my pocket with keys, change and other miscellaneous items with no problems. My next device may not have one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23