Are Smartphones Better Than Tablets?

Smartphones still better than tablets?

• Total voters

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a forum dedicated to the Droid 2 but is anyone else buying into this tablet craze going on? I know i'm not, I think I rather use my phone than carry around something bigger and depending on the tab does less. I mean if i'm not on the go I can just use my laptop at home... to me tablets dont really have a purpose yet... just my honest opinion!

D2g FTW!!!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't really use the wording "better" in the poll, but yeah... I don't see any personal need for a tablet. The only thing I can think of would be if I wanted to layout on the couch or bed and do some online shopping or video viewing then the larger screen would be helpful. Outside of that I can just as easily sit my ass at my desktop or just use the phone and zoom in when needed.

I read several forums on my phone too, I don't even use the mobile site versions or Tapatalk and I have *zero* problems with it. The Droid 2 screen is nice hi-res so I don't even have to zoom in 95% of the time, not exaggerating here either. And when I do a simple double tap is usually sufficient.

I'm a different kind of user though, I'm an IT Professional and I use Ubuntu Linux for my main home machine and Windows XP for my music creation. I could never, nor would ever try to write music on a tablet, or even a laptop. Many people do, but it's not how I work. On my Ubuntu machine I have programs that do everything I did in Windows and most of the things I do just wouldn't be doable or comfortable to do on a tablet.

So a tablet will NOT replace my computer. Then, I have my phone which does all my mobile stuff. It's light, it makes phone calls (yay!), browses the web, and runs a ton of useful information based applications and handy tools. So I don't see a big advantage there in carrying around a much larger format device that doesn't also do phonecalls - can you imagine how silly someone would look with a tablet up to their ear!? LOL.

Lastly, I'm still fond of paper so I buy real books. If I decided to switch to electronic books I would go with a Kindle or any of the one's with the liquid ink technology. Backlight displays are hard on the eyes for extended reading.

Not to offend anyone but I think the tablet craze is rather silly. Sure it has it's pluses but how far can we take it? How powerful do they need to become for the limits of what can be realistically done on a tablet? Would a tablet ever need 4+ cores? I mean really. And as we see Apple is releasing the iPad 2 and what's so improved about it? Thinner, dual-core, and two cameras. Big whoop, but if you think about it... what else could they really add to it?? The only other improvement I can think of that really would've been beneficial is a higher resolution screen.

Rev.

Reactions: jdbower

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't really use the wording "better" in the poll, but yeah... I don't see any personal need for a tablet. The only thing I can think of would be if I wanted to layout on the couch or bed and do some online shopping or video viewing then the larger screen would be helpful. Outside of that I can just as easily sit my ass at my desktop or just use the phone and zoom in when needed.

I read several forums on my phone too, I don't even use the mobile site versions or Tapatalk and I have *zero* problems with it. The Droid 2 screen is nice hi-res so I don't even have to zoom in 95% of the time, not exaggerating here either. And when I do a simple double tap is usually sufficient.

I'm a different kind of user though, I'm an IT Professional and I use Ubuntu Linux for my main home machine and Windows XP for my music creation. I could never, nor would ever try to write music on a tablet, or even a laptop. Many people do, but it's not how I work. On my Ubuntu machine I have programs that do everything I did in Windows and most of the things I do just wouldn't be doable or comfortable to do on a tablet.

So a tablet will NOT replace my computer. Then, I have my phone which does all my mobile stuff. It's light, it makes phone calls (yay!), browses the web, and runs a ton of useful information based applications and handy tools. So I don't see a big advantage there in carrying around a much larger format device that doesn't also do phonecalls - can you imagine how silly someone would look with a tablet up to their ear!? LOL.

Lastly, I'm still fond of paper so I buy real books. If I decided to switch to electronic books I would go with a Kindle or any of the one's with the liquid ink technology. Backlight displays are hard on the eyes for extended reading.

Not to offend anyone but I think the tablet craze is rather silly. Sure it has it's pluses but how far can we take it? How powerful do they need to become for the limits of what can be realistically done on a tablet? Would a tablet ever need 4+ cores? I mean really. And as we see Apple is releasing the iPad 2 and what's so improved about it? Thinner, dual-core, and two cameras. Big whoop, but if you think about it... what else could they really add to it?? The only other improvement I can think of that really would've been beneficial is a higher resolution screen.

Rev.

Well said!

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have no desire for a tablet either. I have a Droid X & my wife has a Droid 2. Both are rooted & both can be tethered wirelessly to the laptop we already have if we REALLY needed a larger screen. A tablet would just be a waste of $.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with what has been stated. If I need to do accomplish a task that is just not comfortable on my phone, I can easily pull out my laptop. Tablets don't really fill a void right now in my opinion. It feels like the consumer market is trying really hard, and throwing big bucks out there to convince us that it does fill need. But at the end of the day do we need a middle point between a sweet smartphone and a laptop? As of right now I cannot see a need for it.

MacHouse83

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have no desire for a tablet either. I have a Droid X & my wife has a Droid 2. Both are rooted & both can be tethered wirelessly to the laptop we already have if we REALLY needed a larger screen. A tablet would just be a waste of $.

Thats the way I feel right now, if you already have a good laptop and smartphone what is the purpose of a tablet? Alot of my friends are going crazy over these things but I see them after maybe a month or 2 not even using the tabs anymore because they are honestly limited in what they can do compared to a laptop or smartphone... fail lol

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I too have no desire or need for a tablet. I just don't see the point. I would much rather buy a fully functional laptop instead, especially since I'm a PC gamer and you can't play Fallout 3 or Morrowind on a tablet. My rooted Droid Incredible does everything I would need a mobile device to do and never once have I felt the need for a bigger screen. And I too prefer actual paper books over eBooks, but when I do want to read an eBook I have the Kindle app on my phone. If I ever want a bigger screen to read eBooks on I'll go and buy a Kindle. Tablets just seem like unnecessary wastes of money to me. I know they have they're fans but I'm not one of them and a tablet won't be replacing my computer any time soon.

Last edited:

seankrems2009

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
This is the way I see it...mind you I'm 20 years old and am techno-addicted. I have an HTC Wildfire and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and I love them both. My Wildfire is on the low end. I wanted an android smartphone but at the time was transitioning from my ever loved Blackberry. The more I used the Wildfire the more I saw android for its potential however, the screen res and capability felt much to be desired so instead of getting a higher end phone (in the UK for the AF, so dont have that long here), I bought a tablet to tether to my exisiting phone. They both work in conjunction with each other. Point is, yes a phone is probably alot more portable and convienent, a tab attached to it doesnt hurt. that and having those android apps on a bigger screen (angry birds!) is a nice addition. Galaxy Tab especially, because 7" is nice a compact, fits in a pocket quite nicely compared to iPad (yuck) and 10" tablets

Rico ANDROID

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Since the OMINOUS DELL STREAK is the one and ONLY tablet/smart phone combo.... The question is: "are smartphones or tablets" better than the DELL STREAK?.. the answer......... hayale no!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramki