Are These BB Features Available on Droid?

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I miss a few things-- are they possible on Droid?

Push and hold for CAPS

Auto Correct (So when I type "ill" my BB would change to "I'll" for me; or "were" became "we're").

And how do I change/create ringer profiles such as LOUD, QUIET, PHONE ONLY, etc.?

THANKS!!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i think there's an app to make profiles.

double tap the shift key to put it in caps lock

i haven't looked into the auto correct custom settings.

blackops#IM

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I cannot find the profiles thing at all other than

1) Silence
2) Vibrate for calls only

I think Adiliyo is correct I thought I saw an app for profiles.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to know what app is for the custom profiles. On my tour I have a "work" setting and a "home" setting which are perfect. Does this app allow customizing the vibrate pattern? In my BB profiles I know that 3 short vibes = appointment, 1 short vibe = email, 1 medium vibe = text, lots of short vibes = phone call. It's really helpful when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm in a meeting or somewhere else when I can't access my phone.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to know what app is for the custom profiles. On my tour I have a "work" setting and a "home" setting which are perfect. Does this app allow customizing the vibrate pattern? In my BB profiles I know that 3 short vibes = appointment, 1 short vibe = email, 1 medium vibe = text, lots of short vibes = phone call. It's really helpful when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm in a meeting or somewhere else when I can't access my phone.

Locale (scan this using Barcode Scanner from the market)

chart

Also search for "locale plugins" it's amazing what you can do with profile managment.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not a problem. I use a very convulted and difficult profile system, and I'm just estatic that there's an app that automates it for me.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
That's built into lots of apps, but I don't think there's a locale plugin for it YET. Suggest it to the devs, they are great guys. I already did :)

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The hold for CAPS, and the auto dictionary are the two things I'm really missing! I don't like having to puncuate my words... I want "shell" to turn into "she'll" automatically. Is there an APP for this, or have anyone found if there is an internal dictionary that can be modified to auto-correct? Thanks!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
to go into caps lock all you have to do is tap the shift key twice. this works on the hard and soft keyboards

to go into a num (alt) lock just tap the alt key twice

the closest way for autocorrect i've found without looking for an app, is to add the word to the custom dictionary, then it will show up when you type it similarly and you can select it as a suggestion. eventually the phone should make that the default auto correction option.

Last edited:

pvk2009

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand multi-touch is not enabled in the apps that come with the phone but the hardware is there. Via the Gizmodo guild to what Android is Google has this disabled for its proprietary apps (like google maps) and so it can't be enabled on them (see the HTC SenseUI) but it can on the open source apps that are part of the OS (like the browser, again see the HTC skinning). HTC has their own keyboards replacing the open source ones that 2.0 comes with. So

1. Can you download your own keyboards to replace the 2.0 ones that will use multi-touch (and therefore doing shift+letter for caps)
2. how does this work on the physical keyboard?

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I believe you can download different on-screen keyboards as I've seen a number available in the android market. So far I'm pretty happy with the on screen keyboards.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
From what I understand multi-touch is not enabled in the apps that come with the phone but the hardware is there. Via the Gizmodo guild to what Android is Google has this disabled for its proprietary apps (like google maps) and so it can't be enabled on them (see the HTC SenseUI) but it can on the open source apps that are part of the OS (like the browser, again see the HTC skinning). HTC has their own keyboards replacing the open source ones that 2.0 comes with. So

1. Can you download your own keyboards to replace the 2.0 ones that will use multi-touch (and therefore doing shift+letter for caps)
2. how does this work on the physical keyboard?

1. yes you can download different keyboard from marketplace and use them instead.
2. the physical keyboard works like you would expect. click shift to capitalize, double tap to caps lock, or hold to capitalize multiple letters

bonus! 3. you can double tap alt to put the keyboard in a numlock too.

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
This is all great information, thanks everyone! People coming from BlackBerry know what I mean when I say "hold for CAPS". This isn't cap lock... it's when you push a cetain letter and hold it, it will capitalize. Very convenient for typing people's names since you dn't have to first hit the shift key. I'll get used to not having it.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i'm coming from blackberry and i didn't know about that...

i tend to not write people's names in my messages or in conversation very often i've noticed..i'm one of those people that are also bad with names..related?

i think so. :)

for names though, the dictionary in the phone seems to be pretty good at pulling names from your contacts and seeing when you're typing them and replacing it with the autocapitalized version of it.

i've found i trust the autocorrect in the droid far more than i ever did on my storm or pearl (and the tour didn't have one with the physical keyboard and all)

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if the vibrate customization is available now? I need the phone to vibrate differently or Touchdown to vibrate differently.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eligri