Are you going to switch to the S7 Edge from the 6P?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my 6P since October and love it, but contemplating if the S7 Edge would be a worthwhile switch even if I've only had this phone for 5 months. My biggest draw is the smaller form factor and only a 0.2" drop in screen size. The 6P is manageable, but still a little too large for my liking. Other pros include the SD card slot, wireless charging and 4GB of RAM and slightly larger battery. I've been pretty much using vanilla Android since the Nexus 5, so I'm not sure how improved TouchWiz is since then.

I figure after selling the 6P and taking advantage of the Gear VR and Netflix promos from T-Mobile, it won't be too much of a loss.

Is anybody else considering switching?

seanpr

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: Switch to S7 Edge?

If you think you would like it, go for it. I just got my 6P and I have no interest in anything Samsung (I had a Note 2). I have a feeling come I/O in a couple months, people will wish they had a Nexus, as they painfully wait for Samsung to maybe update their phone in a year. Like I said, I have been soured to Samsung, but the S7 edge does have nice specs.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

If the latest updates aren't a high priority to you, if you have the funds, and the phone is calling out to you, then go for it

Google Nexus 6P

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site

If the latest updates aren't a high priority to you, if you have the funds, and the phone is calling out to you, then go for it

Google Nexus 6P

The problem is every new phone calls out to me when they first get announced! And I'm okay with not being on the latest updates since I'm on a yearly phone schedule right now, but 5 months is a bit fast to change already. I actually stopped by Best Buy at lunch today to check out the S7 and S7 Edge on display. It was much smaller even though it has a 5.5" screen. We'll see if the desire dies down after more time goes by, but I really like the phone. Netflix Promo expires 3/18 so I have some time to read reviews and think about it a bit more.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

As a general rule I think sticking with a two year upgrade cycle makes the most sense, the problem with doing it faster than that is that the improvements are much less noticeable.

Then there is the issue of Nexus vs non-Nexus. Software is much more important than the hardware at this point. The 6P is already really really good, so going to then next generation of hardware isn't going to be very noticeable. However going to the next generation of Android is likely to be very noticeable. Google will be releasing the beta of Nougat (or whatever N is going to be called) in just a few months (Google I/O is in May). Nexus owners will be able to install it then if they want (I installed the beta of M on my Nexus 5 as soon as it became available and I intend to do the same with N), the final release will be available for Nexus in the fall. Samsung won't upgrade the S7 to N until sometime in 2017 (the S6 is due to get M sometime next month depending on country and carrier, I bet Verizon users won't see it until the fall).

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site

I am considering a similar switch - Nexus 5X to S7 - the only thing thing stopping me is monthly security updates.

Similar to your issue you have stock Android and regular software/security updates versus greater screen/phone size ratio, wireless charging, better camera (probably), waterproofing etc.

I guess we all have to weigh up what's more important. Shame shiny new toys are so tempting!

anon(4086547)

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Actually S7 Edge screen is not 0.2" smaller, as N6P on-screen navigation buttons take about 0.3" of the screen. So in reality S7 5.5" screen is bigger then N6P 5.7" screen.

ryancl25

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Actually S7 Edge screen is not 0.2" smaller, as N6P on-screen navigation buttons take about 0.3" of the screen. So in reality S7 5.5" screen is bigger then N6P 5.7" screen.

Depending on what you are doing of course...watching youtube/video or gaming will put you in full screen mode on N6P.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

IMO the S7 is nothing more than an updated S6 with added features. They ironed out some problems from the S6 and added 1 or 2 so called wow factors and that is it. If you want one get one, but for me I have a Nexus 6p, iPhone 6s Plus, and a Galaxy S6 Active that only gets used when i go to work since my job is not an office one. That active was only brought because i needed a phone to handle being rough housed when I'm at work outside in all types of weather. I won't buy another Samsung or any other OEM that i can't get unlocked directly from the manufacturer. I won't get a carrier branded phone because i like to be free and not have updates denied because of planned obsolescence.

Like some i have now starting to move away from this new phone every year mentality and now look for what will give me the best longevity tech wise. Software and security updates play a big part in longevity for these devices and thats something these Android OEM's seem to not get at all. It's funny that now even Microsoft has nutted up and drawn the line of if you won't allow updates then they won't deal with you as a carrier.

Until this changes I will only buy Nexus, iPhones, or Windows phones. With privacy and security being more of an issue I guess i'm limited to a small subsection of phones. We already have seen how all these pledges of monthly security updates have went with these jokers.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Nope, not me. I won't deny that Samsung can make some decent equipment, but after owning my 6P, I'm not going back to carrier branded phones, bloatware pre-loaded phones, nor phones that don't have timely updates ever again.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

Nope, not me. I won't deny that Samsung can make some decent equipment, but after owning my 6P, I'm not going back to carrier branded phones, bloatware pre-loaded phones, nor phones that don't have timely updates ever again.
Yep and that's why I haven't come back to Android. The Nexus is awesome and the 6P is amazing it's just hard to switch back after being on iOS for 4 years and investing in a ton of apps and even paid for jail break tweaks. But I'm glad you guys have some amazing hardware and Marshmallow is the best version of Android yet!

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I am considering a similar switch - Nexus 5X to S7 - the only thing thing stopping me is monthly security updates.

Similar to your issue you have stock Android and regular software/security updates versus greater screen/phone size ratio, wireless charging, better camera (probably), waterproofing etc.

I guess we all have to weigh up what's more important. Shame shiny new toys are so tempting!

......also consider some of us are sitting here with carrier branded phones from Samsung that are filled with bloatware and woefully behind in updates. I'd buy the S7 in a heartbeat *if* Samsung would get their crappy software off of it, and give us an android experience like the Nexus lines. The S7 looks to be a great piece of hardware camouflaged with another poor software experience......

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site

......also consider some of us are sitting here with carrier branded phones from Samsung that are filled with bloatware and woefully behind in updates. I'd buy the S7 in a heartbeat *if* Samsung would get their crappy software off of it, and give us an android experience like the Nexus lines. The S7 looks to be a great piece of hardware camouflaged with another poor software experience......

If wishes were horses. Samsung will never deliver a bloatware free phone, they see their crapware as a feature not a bug. They built one Nexus phone, the Galaxy Nexus, and they made a complete hash of it. Nexus phones are supposed to get several years of support, the GN got less than a year.

There is a reason that manufacturers are so slow about rolling out the latest software, they are much more afraid of breaking things then they are about running obsolete software. Most of their customers don't know the software is out of date, but if something breaks they will notice that. If most people cared about the latest software then Nexus wouldn't have a 1% market share. As a Nexus user I'm actually happy that it isn't more popular, by limiting the customer user base to the people who want bleading edge software it's possible for Google to be more aggressive then they would be the user base included more unsophisticated users. From Samsung's point of view they are happy that Google can use the Nexus as a beta platform which means that by the time they roll out a new version of Android it's already been tested for nearly a year.

PiggyT

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Ahh....
Same problem here!
I got my nexus 6P 2 weeks ago only and I already want to use S7 :(
I long for microSD card, IP68, 3600 mAh, and Snapdragon 820....

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Probably not...because as soon as android N hit, I would miss my nexus. If anything I would wait a few months and get the S7 also if the reviews are as sweet as they look.

Posted via my S6 Active with Samsung Pay!

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure... I always get a Samsung phone till after the reviews and I will love it for like 3 months and end it selling it after because I get sick of Touch Wiz. It's been that endless cycle since The Galaxy S3 :p

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope. But I'll tell you I wouldn't mind switching what so ever if I had the chance if I kept my 6P because the storage option of just 32 gb is a problem. I have the 64 gb Nexus 6P and I will not ever go to a phone that has anything less. 32 is the new 16 gigabytes of storage for me since I'm a big media consumer

Posted via the Android Central App on my Frost Nexus 6P

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No interest in switching. I'm very happy with the 6P and the only way I could see me jumping to something else would because I'd be tempted by the next gen 6P. I purchased the 128GB 6P, so the thought of putting out another $700 and getting rid of a perfectly good phone for something that's just a little faster or because it has the latest and greatest street cred would make me think that I'd have more money than sense. If you've got money to burn, then it's your choice, but the 6P is a very good phone and the S7 would have to be leaps and bounds above the 6P, which it isn't, before I'd even consider moving on.

southflpix

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so, but I agree that the smaller form factor is great. I am still getting used to the 'phablet' dimensions of the 6p. The S7 will also have a better screen.

Posted via the Android Central App