Art runtime, what a improvement

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Lg g3 d855 uk here. Switched over to Art a few days ago and ive gota say wow.. First 20 mins it was laggy after the change but a few restarts later and abit of time to let the phone settle in and its really awsome on what improvements im getting. Phone was quick anyway but now its super smooth aswell as quick plus battery life has jumped up to a full day use on medium to heavy use.. Ive read alot of negative opinions on Art on our g3 4.4.2 but im seeing a rather big difference.. Version v10l would recommend switching to Art to anyone

Posted via the Android Central App

Rob Dimmock1

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Just switched on my uk d855. Did a restart straight after. Vast improvement. However im finding appsfairly slow to respond atm.

Ewan Cope

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I switched when I had my HTC One m8 and that was great, but I hate to say it, the G3 is really slow in comparison. When I exit done apps, the home screen icons don't appear for about a second or two. Anyone else having this issue?

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Ive never had this issue but ive only been on Art a few days so im just testing atm but up to now ive not got a bad thing to say about Art on my g3

nodnarb1974

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I switched to ART and the second day my G3 kept freezing and I would have to pull the battery. After the fourth freeze up I switched back.

Carlos Thwaites

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Dalvik and Art are parts of the phone software that makes everything run ie games & apps.. On kitkat the default is dalvik but u can switch it in developer's option in phone settings.. Its kinda like upgrading or remapping the software on a cars ecu unit..

jaypster

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Used Dalvik for a few days then read about an article advising the switch to ART. Been using/running my G3 on ART since and no complains here. Performance is good, scrolling and other stuff are smooth and battery life is good.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Maybe I ought to know what you people are talking about...but I haven't a clue.
Art? Dalvik? Huh?

Dalvik and Art are parts of the phone software that makes everything run ie games & apps.. On kitkat the default is dalvik but u can switch it in developer's option in phone settings.. Its kinda like upgrading or remapping the software on a cars ecu unit..

Well, sort of, but not really.

Dalvik and ART are compilers. When a developer writes code, he or she writes in a high level language like Java, or C++, or any of dozens of other languages. (Android apps are typically Java.) CPUs don't understand high level languages. They understand 1's and 0's. A compiler translates high level language code into code the cpu can understand. (That's an oversimplification, but it's accurate enough.) Android programs come to you as apk files. (e.g. gmail.apk). apk files are not executable code, and need to be compiled before they can be loaded into memory and run.

Dalvik is a runtime compiler. When you tap on a icon, such as gmail, for an app that isn't already running, the the gmail apk file is read by the Dalvik compiler, translated to executable code, and loaded into RAM where the cpu can execute it. This take a certain amount of time.

ART (Android Run Time) is actually NOT a runtime compiler, in spite of the name. With ART, when you first install an app, Android compiles it into executable code during installation, and saves that executable file. So when you go to run gmail, the OS can load it into memory immediately, without the Dalvik compile step. So loading apps obviously happens more quickly. But this compile at install process doesn't necessarily make the app RUN faster once it's executing. Since pre-compiling only happens once, it's possible for the compiler to be more sophisticated, and spend more time optimizing the executable code, but I've not seen anything from Google that talks about this sort of thing, so who knows.

As with anything else, there are trade offs. Compiling at install time slows the installation process. But since you only do that once, as opposed to running the app many times, it's a fair trade. Compiled apps also take up more storage (ROM). It depends on the app, but can be anywhere from 10% to 40% larger. Google kind of implies the average increase is about 30%. So if you're low on storage, ART could be a problem, but with 2 GB and 3GB phones it won't be an issue for most people.

Some apps are simply incompatible with ART, and either won't run, will force close, or crash the phone. Verizon's bloatware seems to be a prime example of this, and people with Verizon phones are advised not to switch to ART. Most, but not all, modern apps will run fine on ART, (with one KEY exception), but a lot of older apps won't.

Some people report great results switching to ART. Some people have lots of crashes, poor battery life, and /or overheating problems. The nice thing is that if you switch to ART, and have problems, you can easily switch back to Dalvik.

Finally, the key exception: The Xposed framework doesn't support ART, which means no Xposed modules will run on ART. If you're not rooted, this doesn't matter. If you don't care about Xposed, or don't know what it is, it doesn't matter. But if you're one of the many who have come to know, love, and rely on Xposed modules to customize their phones, it's a deal breaker.

Edit: One other thing I forgot to mention. ART on KitKat is, in Google's words, "experimental." Which is why it's not enabled by default. Lollipop ships with only ART, but it's a very different piece of software than what comes with KitKat.

Last edited:

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, sort of, but not really.

Dalvik and ART are compilers. When a developer writes code, he or she writes in a high level language like Java, or C++, or any of dozens of other languages. (Android apps are typically Java.) CPUs don't understand high level languages. They understand 1's and 0's. A compiler translates high level language code into code the cpu can understand. (That's an oversimplification, but it's accurate enough.) Android programs come to you as apk files. (e.g. gmail.apk). apk files are not executable code, and need to be compiled before they can be loaded into memory and run.

Dalvik is a runtime compiler. When you tap on a icon, such as gmail, for an app that isn't already running, the the gmail apk file is read by the Dalvik compiler, translated to executable code, and loaded into RAM where the cpu can execute it. This take a certain amount of time.

ART (Android Run Time) is actually NOT a runtime compiler, in spite of the name. With ART, when you first install an app, Android compiles it into executable code during installation, and saves that executable file. So when you go to run gmail, the OS can load it into memory immediately, without the Dalvik compile step. So loading apps obviously happens more quickly. But this compile at install process doesn't necessarily make the app RUN faster once it's executing. Since pre-compiling only happens once, it's possible for the compiler to be more sophisticated, and spend more time optimizing the executable code, but I've not seen anything from Google that talks about this sort of thing, so who knows.

As with anything else, there are trade offs. Compiling at install time slows the installation process. But since you only do that once, as opposed to running the app many times, it's a fair trade. Compiled apps also take up more storage (ROM). It depends on the app, but can be anywhere from 10% to 40% larger. Google kind of implies the average increase is about 30%. So if you're low on storage, ART could be a problem, but with 2 GB and 3GB phones it won't be an issue for most people.

Some apps are simply incompatible with ART, and either won't run, will force close, or crash the phone. Verizon's bloatware seems to be a prime example of this, and people with Verizon phones are advised not to switch to ART. Most, but not all, modern apps will run fine on ART, (with one KEY exception), but a lot of older apps won't.

Some people report great results switching to ART. Some people have lots of crashes, poor battery life, and /or overheating problems. The nice thing is that if you switch to ART, and have problems, you can easily switch back to Dalvik.

Finally, the key exception: The Xposed framework doesn't support ART, which means no Xposed modules will run on ART. If you're not rooted, this doesn't matter. If you don't care about Xposed, or don't know what it is, it doesn't matter. But if you're one of the many who have come to know, love, and rely on Xposed modules to customize their phones, it's a deal breaker.

I can't get minr to switch to ART. I'm on an ATT G3. I was previously rooted with xposed. I uninstalled xposed and unrooted.

Can't figue out why I can't get ART to stick. Any ideas?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I don't really know. It couldn't hurt to boot into recovery and clear cache, in case something hanging around from before is causing issues.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Any time I use ART, I have issues with streaming audio while having a smartwatch connected. There is a lot of interference at the start of each track. Pausing and resuming clears it, you can hear the crackling and disconnecting the watch clears it. Had this issue with the G2 and now the G3, so I'm sticking with Dalvik for now.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't really know. It couldn't hurt to boot into recovery and clear cache, in case something hanging around from before is causing issues.

I re rooted with stump and installed xposed with Gravity Box. I noted in your footnotes you Bumped.

Any reaon you did other than wanting TWRP since I noted you don't flash custome ROM's? Also, I froze ATT and some Google apps. What LG apps can I do this with to debloat?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Isn't Gravity Box intended for AOSP ROMs. If you're running the stock ROM you might want to look at G3 TweaksBox.

Anyway, the main reason for me flashing TWRP is to be able to make Nandroid backups. But also to keep my options to flash custom ROMs. Right now I'm actually running Barren ROM, which is basically stock with a few minor tweaks and lots of debloating.

Here are a couple of lists of things that can be frozen on the G3:

Apps that can be safely Frozen or Removed | LG G3 | XDA Forums

[GUIDE] How to remove bloatware on AT&T … | AT&T LG G3 | XDA Forums

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Gravity Box intended for AOSP ROMs. If you're running the stock ROM you might want to look at G3 TweaksBox.

Anyway, the main reason for me flashing TWRP is to be able to make Nandroid backups. But also to keep my options to flash custom ROMs. Right now I'm actually running Barren ROM, which is basically stock with a few minor tweaks and lots of debloating.

Here are a couple of lists of things that can be frozen on the G3:

Apps that can be safely Frozen or Removed | LG G3 | XDA Forums

[GUIDE] How to remove bloatware on AT&T … | AT&T LG G3 | XDA Forums

Gravity box works with stock on mine. It does more for me than the G3 tweakbox. I like the status bar tweaks better and it's easier to change status bar text and icon colors.

Thanks for the links, they were helpful

Last edited:

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've tried both ways of running apps in the 2 weeks since I moved from my N5 to a G3. Whichever way you slice it, it's still an utter lagfest!!

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
While my Nexus 5 was fast from the time that it came, there we're just a few places which I wanted to be faster.

I switched to ART on day one and the performance improvements we're massive, mainly in touch responsiveness, multitasking and scrolling.

Lollipop builds on the same foundation and scrolling is now much much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rock09