AT&T poor reception, want to swtich to Verizon

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a LG Optimus G Pro, with AT&T 4G 10GB plan. Two lines and runs me $150/month.

Not just too expensive, but inside my place I get very poor reception. Missed calls, dropped calls.

And I am right in the middle of their 4G network 30 minutes from Washington DC area. Looking at the map, it's saturated with coverage from all vendors.

I have this extended battery cover, if I take it off, I get very slightly better reception, but still horrible. I know it's not just me because a family member also has AT&T and has identical problems at my location, so I know it's just me or my phone.

How can I be sure I get better reception with Verizon? They are supposed to have the best national network of towers?

They have this "More everything plan" that looks good on paper.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can't know unless you actually, physically try it yourself. Fortunately for you, most carriers have a 'test drive' program, where they lend you a handset for a week for you to test drive their network and equipment. Or if you know anyone with a Verizon SIM (and your phone is unlocked), you can just ask them to either come into your house or lend you their SIM for you to try on your device.

Not sure if T-Mobile is an option for you, and not sure if that plan is still available, but they have (had?) a plan, unlimited everything (including 4G data) for two lines for 100 bucks and 40 bucks per extra line after that. Not bad, if the areas you move in have good TMo coverage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: AT&T poor reception, want to swtich to Verizon

Best way to try would be to use their network where you need it. Verizon has the best coverage overall but another carrier might have better coverage where you need it.

There are coverage maps supplying user provided data for specific locations, but those are sometimes a hit or miss too. Signal can vary greatly even within the same building.

Here is one such app.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.rootmetrics&token=4Ub_VDU2

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Just take it with a grain of salt. Your mileage may vary. Remember that coverage might be awesome right outside your door, but if your house is built like a bunker or has metal mesh in the walls (might act as a Faraday cage of sorts), or if you have 15 walls between your door and your bedroom, that will strongly degrade the signal inside your home or certain areas of it.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site

yeah, I have coverage right outside the door. I have to get outside and seat on the steps to make a phone call. 10 feet away and it works. Ridiculous.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Then it might be your construction... Ask them to see if they have range extenders (I know some companies, like T-Mobile, do).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

It's basically a device that picks up the signal from your carrier, amplifies it internally, and relays that into your house. That way you can amplify a 'weak' signal and instead of losing coverage, you can still have that inside your house.

Bear in mind that if the original signal received by the extender is weak, you may still experience slow data transfers. The range extender amplifies the signal, but can't enhance it; if the original is weak/slow, it will still be slow after it's boosted, it will just be able to reach a wider area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ugr