AT&T's lack of interest and support for unlocked

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I know that this is a carrier section, and even though this has to do with a Google Galaxy Nexus, it is a carrier question, was having horrible data and cell service problems with the Nexus, went into a corporate at&t store, the 2 guys there bluntly told me, "at&t doesn't have to provide even cell service to a phone they do not sell" pretty freaking rude as I still have to pay them for phone and data service every month. Were these guys just being jerks, or can at&t just write you off if you use an unlocked phone?

lmc05

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
They really can say that because it's not one of their phones, there isn't a guarantee that it will work well, or at all, with their service.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
However it sounds like your APN settings are not correct. Have you tried to reset them or set them your self manually?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
@cgardner
Yep, I tried the stock APN Cingular 310 or something like that, then tried a few I found online, I can get data and cell service it's just do slow, worst than what I had on Sprint, and my cell signal is terrible, constantly fluctuating and no service a lot of the time, I called Google, waiting in an exchange. If it's the same I'm just going to return it and wait and see if the next Nexus is something other than a Samsung.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like ATT just might not be that great in your area. Where as Sprint in my area I get 300K down and 150 up on 3G...Makes me laugh really. And ATT a much better. How did the coverage look on the map?

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like ATT just might not be that great in your area. Where as Sprint in my area I get 300K down and 150 up on 3G...Makes me laugh really. And ATT a much better. How did the coverage look on the map?

No it's not AT&T I stick my sim card in my other phones and I get like 3Mb downloads, and about 3 or 4 bars of signal and 4G. Coverage map shows HSPA+ and about 2 miles away LTE.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
One problem you face is no one at AT&T is trained on the phone so they don't really want to get too involved. I personally found my AT&T corporate store pretty unhelpful for most issues. They seemed to act a lot like Radio Shack employees from the 70's and 80's, just a little too arrogant for me. I finally decided to leave late last year.

I think a lot depends on the area, where we use to live AT&T was great, and so was Sprint and Verizon was a not easy to work with if you had problems. Mainly because their main store was inside a mall - never easy to get with them for a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterrekroesbergen