atmosHere Weather, making weather on Android smarter!

davidhodge229

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm the developer of atmosHere (play on words of atmosphere) Weather for Android, an Android app to make weather smarter, and simpler. The app is "Card UI" based, similar to that of Google Now, and is powered first and foremost by the hyper accurate Forecast.io. By using Google's Fused location Provider, we can get your exact location and get down to the minute weather information, all while also getting data for the upcoming week! The app prioritizes information based on the current weather conditions. So if there is a weather alert for your location, that will be the first card you will see! Similar concepts are used else where, if it's raining or snowing, you will get a card for nearby traffic accident counts. This pattern is used throughout the app. This makes it extremely simple to get glance-able information about what is going on right now, and other data that applies based on the conditions. The card ui also makes it simple to fling down a little further for the upcoming week weather, chances of rain, device sensor readings (barometric pressure, temps, etc), pollen counts, UV index, astronomy information, and many more! The app is also extremely configurable, by allowing users to toggle what information they want to see, allowing them to personalize the data they get within the app!

Just recently (last night) I added a new feature that I have yet to see from any other Forecast.io powered app. Forecast.io provides TONS of information, but for the normal person it is hard to parse through all the data given and make sense of it and what it means for the weather. So i have taken the data given, and "pre-parsed" it in a sense, and turned it into a friendly, readable, format when needed. For example, forecast.io provides a summary for a given days' forecast, "Breezy starting in the afternoon, continuing until the evening." and then this is where I come in and add additional, relevant information. So if there is a high chance of rain in the forecast, I will add precipitation information, "75% chance of rain, with light rain starting at 5pm". This gives you the chance of rain, how heavy it will be (can range from very light to very heavy), and then the forecasted time of that precipitation! I also do the same for the given temperature. So you may see "High for today of 35, with a low of 25" and if it will "feel" warmer or cooler than the given temperature, it will also let you know! This makes the forecast for every day personalized and relevant, and lets you very quickly flip to a given day's forecast and know exactly what the forecast is. No need to flip through charts of data, and stare at numbers trying to make sense of them!

The app also features data from other services to aid with contextual information, such as traffic conditions, marine and ski conditions, latest earthquake information, and even a feed of National Weather Service Audio Streams! This will be built out even further going forward, allowing users to custom tailor the weather information they are shown!

The app also features radar data of all types, from precipitation, to weather alerts, and plenty more! Your Android standards such as widgets, notifications, and even extensions for the ever popular DashClock and Muzei are included! The app has already been optimized for Android Wear once it is released to the public. Google Glass has not been forgotten either, as there is a build ready to go for when Google Opens up GDK app distribution!

I have a G+ community setup that I am posting information about updates, bugs, and asking random questions for possible future updates. I will also answer any questions or I am open to just good old conversation! I am always open to suggestions of new ideas for the app. It's been extremely enjoyable thus far getting that app to where it is, and look forward to keeping that going. I also have no problem answering any emails if you prefer taking that route. The about section of the app includes all contact information you could ever need.

Youtube Demo video
Play Store Link
G+ Community

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this app for about a week now and love the Google Now type of layout. The Dashclock extension doesn't work at all though. Is this a bug?

davidhodge229

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Would you by chance be using a Galaxy or Note device? I've had a 2 other reports of it not working on those devices, but i'm still trying to get my hands on one to narrow down a cause.

davidhodge229

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in getting back, but I wanted to push an update out and see if it'll fix your issue. I just pushed out a new update (v1.8.3) that adds some new features, but also made some adjustments to the DashClock extension. Let me know if you're still have problems. I've tried to replicate it but I haven't had any luck.

anon(285475)

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I updated but it still doesn't work. I also tried clearing the data in both atmoshere and dashclock. I tried removing all other extensions to see if anything conflicts with it. Do you have any suggestions or is there anything I can send you to help you troubleshoot this issue?

davidhodge229

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick update...

I have been doing weekly updates, making many changes and updates every time. It seems I have worked most of the bugs out and the app is getting to be in a great state. We are sitting around the Top 30 in paid weather apps with a 4.6 rating!

Which is why I have also put some time in to release a free version! The biggest complaint I get is that people are hesitant to buy the app without being able to try the Card UI style first. So I have released a free version that can be found on the Play Store Now! atmosHere Weather Free

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d