Atrix can't even handle Quads live wallpaper?

dLo GSR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
well, it's not going to use two cores to display a single wallpaper, so expecting leaps and bounds over and other Android phone with a 1 GHz processor is foolish.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Apps need to be optimized to fully utilize the benefits of dual core. Unless developers do that, you'll not get the full dual core performance.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
well, it's not going to use two cores to display a single wallpaper, so expecting leaps and bounds over and other Android phone with a 1 GHz processor is foolish.

regardless if it's using both cores, the GPU should be faster than other phones out no?

running Quads on a DroidX and then an AT&T Captivate you see a noticible increase in performance on the Captivate.. then running this on the Teg2 should show an increase, but it doesn't seem to be.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
regardless if it's using both cores, the GPU should be faster than other phones out no?

running Quads on a DroidX and then an AT&T Captivate you see a noticible increase in performance on the Captivate.. then running this on the Teg2 should show an increase, but it doesn't seem to be.

Atrix has a higher resolution screen. Think of it in terms of a pc game, if you run a game on the same PC at 1680x1050 and compare it to 1920x1200, that game will run faster at the lower res. Same thing here, the droidX and captivate have a lower res screen. It will probably run about the same, if not a bit better on an LG optimus 2x.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
In the Quads settings screen, disable anti-aliasing and dithering. This will improve your wallpaper performance. I noticed frame rate of 22-24 for PS3 schemas and more than 25 (optimal) for non-PS3 schemas.

TareX

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys kidding?

So the Atrix struggles with Live wallpapers? Please let me know ASAP... I am getting either the Atrix (app incompatibility problems) and the Nexus S (missing many features) next week...

How smooth does Samsung's "Oceans" wallpaper run on it?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys kidding?

So the Atrix struggles with Live wallpapers? Please let me know ASAP... I am getting either the Atrix (app incompatibility problems) and the Nexus S (missing many features) next week...

How smooth does Samsung's "Oceans" wallpaper run on it?

The Atrix handles live wallpapers fine. It even ships with several to try out. They're talking specifically about this Quads Live stuff

TareX

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
The Atrix handles live wallpapers fine. It even ships with several to try out. They're talking specifically about this Quads Live stuff

"Oceans" was a GPU intensive wallpaper released for the SGS series, and was sluggish on other phones. That's why I'm asking about it, since the Quads Live Wallpaper runs just fine on the SGS.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
"Oceans" was a GPU intensive wallpaper released for the SGS series, and was sluggish on other phones. That's why I'm asking about it, since the Quads Live Wallpaper runs just fine on the SGS.

Oh, gotcha. I don't have the Oceans wallpaper to test it for you..I'm sorry. :/ I take it it's probably not free if it is intensive like that lol. Hope someone can help you out before you make the purchase.

urbannaja

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea what the OP is doing, but I had a moment so I tested the free Quads live wallpaper.

Under full settings it gets 15-18 FPS and looks completely smooth.

With dithering and AA turned off, it gets 18-20 FPS and looks exactly the same to me as under full settings. (no stuttering, tearing, or slowdown at all, even when whipping through screens)

I checked the task manager settings and it uses 10% of the CPU and 8mb ram (K9 email was using 10% and 7mb ram).

For reference, I am rooted and running ADW launcher with beautiful widgets.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Oh, gotcha. I don't have the Oceans wallpaper to test it for you..I'm sorry. :/ I take it it's probably not free if it is intensive like that lol. Hope someone can help you out before you make the purchase.

Some live wallpapers wont work on the Tegra2 GPU. I've tried all the SGS ones and they dont seem to work. The Aurora, Ocean, nothing seems to work.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea what the OP is doing, but I had a moment so I tested the free Quads live wallpaper.

Under full settings it gets 15-18 FPS and looks completely smooth.

With dithering and AA turned off, it gets 18-20 FPS and looks exactly the same to me as under full settings. (no stuttering, tearing, or slowdown at all, even when whipping through screens)

I checked the task manager settings and it uses 10% of the CPU and 8mb ram (K9 email was using 10% and 7mb ram).

For reference, I am rooted and running ADW launcher with beautiful widgets.

I'm not using another launcher, I'm using the stock motoblur launcher and it's extremely choppy. I'll try ADW.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use ADW..free ver. But the oceans paper wouldn't even load the preview. And selecting it anyway keeps my previous background. Perhaps i did something wrong, but I have to head to class now. Good luck guys!

urbannaja

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Is the oceans one good? I haven't tried that one. I like the quad one though...reminds me a little of the old windows mystify your mind screen saver lol

(also, I don't know if it matters, but I'm using the paid ADW)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I use ADW..free ver. But the oceans paper wouldn't even load the preview. And selecting it anyway keeps my previous background. Perhaps i did something wrong, but I have to head to class now. Good luck guys!

I've tried the SGS lwp's on multiple Tegra2 devices and they dont work.. seems they are designed for Adreno/PowerVR GPU's and not the GeForce GPU's..