Atrix just randomly shut off and fingerprint scanner stopped working!

NYGiants84

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I've had my Atrix for about 24 hours and now have been in love with it... Can't stop playing with it...

All of a sudden , while at work right now, the phone is just set to the side of me and starts to buzz and gives me a message saying "connect to charger" and then shuts off!!!!

Battery was at 60% as I charged it all night.... I restarted the device and the fingerprint scanner was not working, had to take the battery out and restart it again and now its back to normal and also displaying 60% battery again...

Waiting to see if this occurs again...

Anyone else experience this

P.S. Phone is not rooted and have Go Launcher Ex running on it as well as various apps / widgets downloaded from app market

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, mine shut off randomly twice yesterday. Just went black and rebooted to the red Moto "M" without warning. Nothing like that today.

jra8927

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, mine shut off randomly twice yesterday. Just went black and rebooted to the red Moto "M" without warning. Nothing like that today.

Yepp mine did the same thing..it shut off twice, i was in the map app and i cant remember what i was doing the second time. But my phone kinda froze up and became sluggish then did that..hopefully after removing the battery it doesnt happen again. Other than that the phone is absolutely amazing. Once they update with a os actually made for dual core cpu it will be even more amazing.

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yepp mine did the same thing..it shut off twice, i was in the map app and i cant remember what i was doing the second time. But my phone kinda froze up and became sluggish then did that..hopefully after removing the battery it doesnt happen again. Other than that the phone is absolutely amazing. Once they update with a os actually made for dual core cpu it will be even more amazing.

Yeah -- I believe I was in Google Maps when it happened one time. Nothing since day one, and yesterday I really put it through the paces -- tried everything, did some customization, downloaded & ran a ton of apps. No problems. A few apps kind froze momentarily, but i suppose that's a matter of them being written for other OS versions, etc. So far, the only thing that crapped out completely was Google Earth -- but I did read just yesterday that they debuted (or are about to) a new version to work with 2.2 or 2.3.

NYGiants84

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Phone rebooted on me 1 more time yesterday and again it was just sitting there on standby mode... but rebooted itself right away and everythign was working just fine... hopefully this doesnt occur today or again...

HuKaShI

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Strange how you guys are reporting this. I went to an AT&T store last night to check out the new Atrix and 2 out of the 3 phones they had on display kept doing this.... I think I'll wait a bit longer before I pick one up...

Vic Nebulous

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Strange how you guys are reporting this. I went to an AT&T store last night to check out the new Atrix and 2 out of the 3 phones they had on display kept doing this.... I think I'll wait a bit longer before I pick one up...

Sounds like we have a verified issue. Mine still hasn't done it again since Tuesday.

Wednesday morning, I was getting no data service. I tried everything -- rebooting, checking the radio status, rebooting again & again. Nothing. I had voice service, so I called AT&T -- they indicated that this was a "known issue" with the network in my area. No voice service for regular phones, and no data for smart phones, and would be rectified shortly. Sure enough, it came back. But for a moment there, I thought I had a handset issue and cursing the device... Maybe that's why it decided not to reboot itself yesterday....it was afraid I'd send it back...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine didn't reboot (that I know of), however during an hour class I started noticing my leg was pretty warm...reached in to find my phone hot as all get out - I mean hot enough to no longer quite be comfortable to hold anymore. Freaked out (as I was in class and didn't have time to deal with it at that moment), so I turned it off and let it cool until the end of class. It was still warm to the touch 30 mins later, though not hot. Waited a bit more for it to cool, turned it back on, and everything was fine ever since. But, worried it may happen again before my 30 days are up, I just got back from exchanging it for another one. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: For some added information - The phone was just locked and idling, not running any games or video or anything. Had ADW Launcher and the motoblur screens were all empty so that they won't try to pull data or anything & waste battery. Had a few apps like Beautiful Widgets, Jorte Calendar, a battery status app, barcode scanner, scientific calc, etc.

WilliamC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine didn't reboot (that I know of), however during an hour class I started noticing my leg was pretty warm...reached in to find my phone hot as all get out - I mean hot enough to no longer quite be comfortable to hold anymore. Freaked out (as I was in class and didn't have time to deal with it at that moment), so I turned it off and let it cool until the end of class. It was still warm to the touch 30 mins later, though not hot. Waited a bit more for it to cool, turned it back on, and everything was fine ever since. But, worried it may happen again before my 30 days are up, I just got back from exchanging it for another one. *crosses fingers*

EDIT: For some added information - The phone was just locked and idling, not running any games or video or anything. Had ADW Launcher and the motoblur screens were all empty so that they won't try to pull data or anything & waste battery. Had a few apps like Beautiful Widgets, Jorte Calendar, a battery status app, barcode scanner, scientific calc, etc.

Was the screen on? My wife and I had a similar issue, where the screen would not shut off and she left it overnight charging like that... it was boiling in the morning. Followed someones instructions and turn off the stay awake feature and it hasn't happened again. It does get pretty hot with extended use though.

Stay awake:
Settings-->applications-->development-->uncheck stay awake

Reactions: Jonneh and jwolfe99

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Mine rebooted yesterday when I tried to reconnect a bluetooth headset. I had been listening to my music through the BT set and paused for a minute and tried to hit the play button on the headset and the phone rebooted.

(just providing more insight if Moto happens to look at this stuff)

jwolfe99

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, still learning about Android here. Mine was not getting hot but I did not like the screen staying on all the time when charging.

Julian

phro321

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Gonna have to say not shutdown on its on, but does freeze up a lot while doing minimal stuff, like sufing web and social crap. ... About bluetooth, did lose connection for phone calls but still kept playing music. Gets FREAK HOT too!
:mad:
Getting anxious and may return and just get a damn HTC whatever.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Was the screen on? My wife and I had a similar issue, where the screen would not shut off and she left it overnight charging like that... it was boiling in the morning. Followed someones instructions and turn off the stay awake feature and it hasn't happened again. It does get pretty hot with extended use though.

Stay awake:
Settings-->applications-->development-->uncheck stay awake

Hmm, really? I'm not sure if the screen was on or not now...I'd feel stupid if I exchanged it just because of a silly thing like checking "Stay Awake" lol.

I thought "Stay Awake" only kept the screen lit if it were charging, like in a dock. :confused:

x2z

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine just shut off without warning too. Fingerprint freezes sometimes to. Had to reboot. I like how warm it gets in this wisconsin winter. Haha

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Same just happened to me, too. Fingerprint scanner stopped, then phone re-booted. Everything was ok when it came back up. Weird... and scary that it's happening with so many so soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus