Autotext that ISN'T an alternative keyboard

oceanicblack

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Another thread from a former-BB user looking for an autotext feature. The thing is, I use a Droid 2 and I use both the physical keyboard and Swype. I want an app that is standalone and NOT an alternative keyboard that will allow autotext corrections through either Swype or the physical keyboard. I tried Smart Keyboard Pro but it doesn't autotext correct when I use the physical keyboard or Swype. Same with Firekeys. Is there such an app? Or are all of the apps with autotexting like BB alternative keyboards?

oceanicblack

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Like I said. I tried Smart Keyboard but it is an alternative keyboard. Autotext commands I create in it will not work with Swype or the physical keyboard.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, autotext on Android is tied to the input method. The Swype keyboard doesn't have autotext built in.

Smart Keyboard Pro does (although I find it work best with the full qwerty keyboard and not the compact keyboard).

Personally, I find with Swype, I can type pretty quickly without autotext. I had a lot of extra autotext words set up on my BlackBerry, and thought I was going to miss that feature. Since I've gotten used to Swype, I don't miss it as much.

One thing I do notice is that when typing in portrait mode, I prefer Swype. My finger doesn't have to travel very far to draw out the words. In landscape mode, the keyboard layout is different enough that I'm not as accurate with Swype. When typing in landscape mode, I switch to Smart Keyboard Pro so I can type with my thumbs, and then use autotext. I find that when I am actually pressing on letters, I revert back to my BB ways. When Swiping, I don't even thing about it anymore.

Reactions: calbearz24

oceanicblack

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So there's nothing for it with the physical keyboard on the Droid 2 then either? I mean, I notice that when I type "il" it'll autocorrect it to "I'll" ...there's gotta be a way to add my own entries in there... man I miss my Blackberry.

BluePlate

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Just found this thread... don't know if it's a recent update or what, but I have a D2G and was using Smart Keyboard Pro for the auto text feature and it worked with the physical keyboard.

It was a bit buggy--it would randomly not autocap the first letter I typed, for example--but it worked. I think there was a check box for "use physical keyboard," or something. Maybe worth another look. It's certainly the only way I've ever managed to get auto text on android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc