Background process crash. Android 13 (MagicOS 7.1)

kikihadenough

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
Hello, I would be glad to get a little bit of help on that one..

I'm the owner of a Honor X8 running Android 13 along with MagicOS 7.1. I've decided to use the non-native music player for personal reasons.

My issue is that when i run my music player in the background and start using google maps with my location turned on, it crashes. Same when using Firefox. I also realized that my phone seems to struggle a lot when i try to type in the Firefox search bar while my music player is running in the background. This struggle manifests by the Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard promptly disappearing in a grey void. Not ideal. You could argue that I just have a weak RAM but I have between 6 and 8Go of it.

More details : -My Firefox is kinda loaded with extensions so it's heavy.
-I've tried to reboot my phone > Empty the cache of firefox and ggmaps > changing my music player to the lightest i could find + suited for my large library (AIMP to FooBar2000) > Toggling off any Android parameters that kills apps it doesn't like.
-Before this starts to happen, i've used the "reset all permissions" function in Android 13 Parameters. I also wanted to give my hardware a rest so i killed the processes of the following packages for the night : Carrier Services ; Google Play Store ; Google Play Services.

Since Google has a long time habit of making themselves the owner of what you technically didn't buy from them, I'm aware my issue could be just linked to that. However, I would say it's more of a Android 13's new policy of refusing all sorts of permissions to "unknown apps". I've run into some apps that just couldn't function properly because of those late security updates.

If you have any questions I'll respond the best I can, thank you for your patience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which music player are you using? Have you tested with other 3rd party music players as well? If it only happens with the one you're talking about, it may have more to do with how it's coded -- you should contact that app developer by email.

I don't think this would be something that Google is directly responsible for. If it's not a widespread issue affecting all phones running Android 13, and if it's not due to the specific app's coding, then it is more likely due to Honor's modification of the base Android 13 code. Some manufacturers (especially Chinese ones) like to be aggressive with RAM management, killing background apps in an attempt to get more battery life, and that tendency can sometimes cause problems with apps that are supposed to work in the background.

kikihadenough

Jan 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry for the last reponse. I have some news.

To answer your question : I'm using AIMP and yes i've tried with both Pulsar and FooBar2000, same problem occurs.

Turns out my phone was in so much hassle that it just crashed, rebooted and bootlooped. Where did I go wrong lol T-T.

Anyway, magic OS offered me to clean all cache and it worked. Since that I didn't have any problems and i think its because of a few things. I've set the background porocesses limit to 4 ; I've stopped using multiple intensive processes at once like, for example : Camera + Youtube in background + GGmaps navigation in background ; I debloated my phone usin ADB ; I'm now using spotify instead of AIMP (which i was told is a heavy processing app).

Also, I started regularly rebooting my phone and cleaning cache once a while which I think is helping with this issue, my phone is fatser than ever and is barely heating.

Anyway, I hope it helped somebody having a similar issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Reactions: B. Diddy