Backing up Contacts to Gmail...

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
There is one thing I haven't learned how to do on my Captivate.

How do you back up contacts to your gmail account? I haven't been able to figure this out yet.:-\

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I found it easier to use a computer logged into Gmail to input my Contacts. It was a pain, but once done ONCE, you can then use the MENU option while in your Dialer to have it display only Google contacts and to create new Contacts to Gmail. I also had to manually delete each contact that was on my SIM, which is where the problem comes from.

Basically, the non-android (dumn phone) way was to save it on your SIM. This ends up in duplicates on your phone, unless you delete everything from the SIM and get everything into Gmail. Once you do it the one time, then it is available in Gmail to be exported, if needed, and you never have to worry about backing them up.

MENU-ACCOUNTS-GMAIL accoint and make sure it is syncing contacts. Then from a computer, login to Gmail and see how ugly it is. Manually fix them in Gmail from a PC. Once done, do into the dialer on your phone and use the MENU there to show only SIM contacts, and delete them one at a time. Yes it sucks. Once all the SIM contacts are gone, hit the MENU in the dialer again, and switch it to show only Google contacts. You should be set.

Please be sure that your Gmail contacts are pristine before you go deleting the ones on your SIM. I will not feel bad if you yell at me later :).

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually I found another way, similar to the way you described, but a little more involved.

What I did was I manually input all my contacts into thunderbird (My email client), then I saved my address book as a .csv file, then imported the csv file into gmail, looks like it went without a hitch.

I haven't tried syncing contacts to my phone yet, will try that here shortly and report it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kravi33895