Backup of BlackBerry Contacts to Droid

paulrosenthal

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello everyone at Android Central,

As you see, I am very new here. I've been a member of the parter site Crackberry since November 2007, when I purchased a BlackBerry. Since then, I have dealt with the constant lag, terrible quailty control (think clickable screen Storm 1, trackball Tour, escape button Storm 2), constant replacements, and the like.

Yesterday my Storm 2 was acting up (go figure), I took it to the store, the man at the store said I would need a replacement. I told him about the problems with the BlackBerry over the last couple of years, and that I would like to switch to a Droid. He processed the order, and here I am with a new Droid. :D

Anyway, he tried to copy my contacts from my Storm 2 to the Droid to no avail. All I have now (all contacts) is a backup from Desktop Manager in the form of a .IPD. Does anyone know how I can get this backup file with my contacts onto my Droid? I have over 500 contacts for work and I cannot afford to lose them lol.

I appreciate ANY and ALL help.

Paul

produffer

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Paul
I too am a new Droid user ( 2 days) and i was able to get my contacts from my blackberry. I first set up a gmail account and exported my contacts to a separate csv file and then did an import to my gmail account and it transferred all my contacts. it even eliminated the duplicates. Hope this helps

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Go into your "music" application, find the song/sound (click on songs once you open the music app) that you wish to use and perform a "long" press on it. It will give you the option of using that tune as a ring tone.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There is also the option of making your own ring tones. If you have actual mp3 ring tones simply create a folder on the root of your sd card labled "ringtones" and drag and drop the mp3 file to this folder.

DawnGP143

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Paul
I too am a new Droid user ( 2 days) and i was able to get my contacts from my blackberry. I first set up a gmail account and exported my contacts to a separate csv file and then did an import to my gmail account and it transferred all my contacts. it even eliminated the duplicates. Hope this helps

Me too...coming from a Berry for the last 5 years. Can you please give me a step by step on this? I'm missing something. Much appreciated.

Argodabar

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I just came over to the Droid from a Blackberry Curve...I had a problem transfering my contacts over in the store so what I did was download Google Sync onto my Curve and logged into the same account I used for my Droid. I then set up Google Sync to sync my contacts with that google account and when it was finished my Droid automatically downloaded all my contacts. It did take a while for Google Sync to sync my contacts, but Blackberry's were having a network problem that day so that could have been the issue.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Use Google Sync!! It's the easiest way to go to back up or transfer your contacts. You can't go wrong with google sync!

tbair

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Using Bluetooth and Google Contacts/Sync

My Blackberry Curve began having problems recognizing anything plugged into the mini-USB port, including the charger. Since my service contract was up, I took this as a great excuse to switch carriers and get a new Droid 2 Global from verizon, which I LOVE. Unfortunately my battery was quickly dying while I tried to figure out how to get my contacts onto my new phone without data service or USB recognition, and I no longer had the ability to recharge it.

Luckily I figured out that I could use the bluetooth function between the two phones (password 1234 worked for both devices), and one of the standard bluetooth options is to export your address book. I exported a vcf file of my address book to the Droid, which took almost no time or battery at all. Unfortunately when I tried to open the file, a window popped up with the following error:

Reading of vCard data has failed: Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (File ended during parsing BASE64 binary.)

I tried to open both google sync, and verizon's backup program and import it that way, but it wouldn't work with those either. I finally got smart and just emailed the file to myself. I opened the email and downloaded the file onto my computer, and then imported the contacts to my google account:

Contacts (upper left-hand corner), then Import Contacts (bottom of left-hand column), then browsed to where I stored the file, and had it add to My Contacts. It worked, and then google sync automatically updated my Droid's phonebook.

Solved!
Bluetooth -> Email -> Import to Contacts -> Sync to phone

Hope this help somebody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
criticals