BASIC (7") tablet?

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a gamer or video watcher. I have had a Nexus 7 (2012!) and Kindle Fire 7. The thing that drives me batty is the SLOW start up time. I can't imagine that a phone user would tolerate a 30 to 90 second start up to use that device. So it has to be a matter of internal chip sets/ram etc.. But it seems that there is no middle ground between cheap tablets which are meant more for kids and smart phones which do 'everything'.

What i am looking for are suggestions/hints at what would be 1) useful for me & 2) not priced for EVERY use.

Further Insights - the Kindle Fire worked OK, but was a hassle to get the ONE app that I needed via Google Play Store. It has been suggested to me to re boot the Kindle to original set up, but frankly I could very well do without the Amazon bizillion apps that will NOT uninstall and I never use either. Besides if I do go back to the original OS, the minute it is updated (like immediately), its back to slower than molasses.

Thanks for your patience while I grind my teeth over this head scratch-er.
OK all you Android geeks, what is a BASIC user to get to replace the Kindle. (and under $200 PLEASE).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lenovo Tab M8 FHD, which works pretty well. It can be a little sluggish when switching apps, but it has a nice 1080p screen and was updated to Android 10. I can play games like Asphalt 8 without any significant problem, and streaming media looks good (although only a mono speaker, not stereo). 3 GB RAM, 32 GB internal storage (also with a microSD slot). Currently $128 at the Lenovo site, but you can probably find it cheaper or on sale elsewhere: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...novo-TB-8705%2Fp%2FZZITZTATB68&token=o2qzgQs6

Be aware that they also have a cheaper Tab M8 HD, which has only a 720p screen, and comes in a version with only 2 GB RAM and 16 GB internal storage. With how cheap the FHD version is, I'd stay away from the HD version.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just looked at reviews on Amazon - one user said NO Google Play store? Has that been your experience BB. Diddy?

Certainly not the case for me -- it has the full Google app compatibility, including the Play Store. It's possible Lenovo makes a version for the Chinese market that wouldn't have the Play Store, but I'm not sure about that.

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
This is a follow up reply to my initial post. I did buy a Surf Onn 7" Gen 2 for about the same price that another Kindle Fire 7" would have cost me. I am happy with the speed in which is comes up and once I got my data transferred from the old Kindle, everything is working just fine, I am happy that to have access to Google Play Store, which I was able to get on the Kindle but only after lots of hassles, The camera on the Surf Onn is not great but I didn't buy it to take pictures with - I have a camera for that.

Overall the Surf Onn meets my needs and for sure the price is good. Just wish I had caught it when it was on Black Friday sale at $28!!! Oh well, $50 isn't bad either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you found something that works for you! I recall seeing a video review of that tablet -- sounds pretty impressive for that incredibly low price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay