Battery consumption during standby / inactive

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
How does the Moto X handle the battery while in standby / inactive mode?

I attached a picture showing my current phone, the iPhone 5, and as you can see, I don't use my phone very often - and when I do, it's mostly for gaming.

My current battery lasts for more than 2 days (although I just used it for 2 hours) and I'd like to know if the Moto X can handle that much. I have heard that the Moto X battery can't stand for a full day - even if you use it very little, is that true?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1338.PNG
    IMG_1338.PNG
    101.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery draining while stand by / inactive

There are a number of factors that can affect battery life. It would help to see more stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

If possible, show us the screenshots in English, but if you can't, we can just use Google Translate.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery draining while stand by / inactive

There are a number of factors that can affect battery life. It would help to see more stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

If possible, show us the screenshots in English, but if you can't, we can just use Google Translate.

Actually I do not own a Moto X, that's my iPhone 5's screenshot. This is how long the battery lasts for me and I would like to know if the Moto X can achieve that or not.

Sorry if I made it so confusing!

Ps: I am also sorry about the attachment. I guess I duplicated it somehow but this is my first time submiting a screenshot!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, I totally misunderstood! I'll let others with a Moto X answer your question.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh sorry, I totally misunderstood! I'll let others with a Moto X answer your question.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

No probs! I revamped my thread so it can be more clear. It was confusing that way hehe

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that I get between 2.2 - 2.7% drop an hour if screen is off, which is still a little high in my opinion (lower is better).
It translates to roughly 40 hrs standby time.
This is on wifi btw.

Hope that helps some.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that I get between 2.2 - 2.7% drop an hour if screen is off, which is still a little high in my opinion (lower is better).
This is on wifi btw.

Hope that helps some.

It really helps! Since I rarely use 4g/WiFi I think this can be even improved.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
It really helps! Since I rarely use 4g/WiFi I think this can be even improved.

So I understand correctly, if you are to not use 4g/WiFi , such as while you sleep at night, like having phone on airplane mode, I guarantee you will get much much better standby time.
(But you already know that :)

I'm always trying to hunt down wakelocks which wake the CPU and keep the %/hr from going down.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
So I understand correctly, if you are to not use 4g/WiFi , such as while you sleep at night, like having phone on airplane mode, I guarantee you will get much much better standby time.
(But you already know that :)

I'm always trying to hunt down wakelocks which wake the CPU and keep the %/hr from going down.

Yeah, the screenshot I posted was with 4 hours or less with WiFi on - but not using it very much besides the e-mail notifications and a bit of browsing.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
This is on wifi btw.

Hope that helps some.

That's way to high. My '13 Moto X drops 1.5% - 2% with Pebble connected (4G lte) You must have a lot running or its just the Wi-Fi as usual, since'14 has much more improved antennas and radios compared to mine or just about any phone.

BTW no android can beat iPhone in stand by mode, simply because of the OS management.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
That's way to high. My '13 Moto X drops 1.5% - 2% with Pebble connected (4G lte) You must have a lot running or its just the Wi-Fi as usual, since'14 has much more improved antennas and radios compared to mine or just about any phone.

BTW no android can beat iPhone in stand by mode, simply because of the OS management.

Yeah I have 5 gmails and 1 yahoo account syncing, out of the 5 gmails, only 1 gmail account does my calendar, hangouts, play store, contacts, g+ etc.
Moto 360 paired all day too.

I'd like to bring the rate down more, but I think the apps i have need to be better optimized (which is something I can't really fix)

Yeah I heard iOS gets great battery life especially with a smaller battery

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I did bump into this post which is on another forum. The post is in regards to androids newest version, Lollipop (5.0), on Verizon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=57062966

However do keep in mind, even though this post mentions better battery life, some do report of slightly less life than when were on KitKat, Android's previous version. From the posts that I've been reading in various places, I myself have been seeing about equally mixed results, half saying battery is better, and half saying worse.

But there are also some important factors that come into play, some may have certain apps installed that others don't, and not all apps are yet optimized for 5.0, though are on their way to be.
So if you were to take 2 stock moto x phones ,which have no 3rd party apps, and are running only what came with the phone with the OS, one phone with KitKat, and one with lollipop, the lollipop phone is claimed to get more/better battery life. Google has implemented Project Volta into lollipop which manages battery use better, and for the moto x can give about 10-20% more juice than KitKat. (Other android phones can get I think up to 40% more juice)

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I have 5 gmails and 1 yahoo account syncing, out of the 5 gmails, only 1 gmail account does my calendar, hangouts, play store, contacts, g+ etc.
Moto 360 paired all day too.

I'd like to bring the rate down more, but I think the apps i have need to be better optimized (which is something I can't really fix)

Yeah I heard iOS gets great battery life especially with a smaller battery

Thank you for such a honest comment. Normally I see a lot of haters like "Apple scrum get outta here", "Apple sucks" and stuff. This proves that we've some mature and nice members here.

I know my iPhone 5 have a better camera and battery but the screen is way too tiny for me since my wife won a Nokia 830 recently. Once you go 5 inch you don't wanna come back - specially if you're a gamming addict like me.

I am thinking in buying a Moto X mostly because of your kind comments. They are pretty helpful, thanks!

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I did bump into this post which is on another forum. The post is in regards to androids newest version, Lollipop (5.0), on Verizon.

Verizon lollipop update discussion - Pg. 23 | Moto X (2014) | XDA Forums

However do keep in mind, even though this post mentions better battery life, some do report of slightly less life than when were on KitKat, Android's previous version. From the posts that I've been reading in various places, I myself have been seeing about equally mixed results, half saying battery is better, and half saying worse.

But there are also some important factors that come into play, some may have certain apps installed that others don't, and not all apps are yet optimized for 5.0, though are on their way to be.
So if you were to take 2 stock moto x phones ,which have no 3rd party apps, and are running only what came with the phone with the OS, one phone with KitKat, and one with lollipop, the lollipop phone is claimed to get more/better battery life. Google has implemented Project Volta into lollipop which manages battery use better, and for the moto x can give about 10-20% more juice than KitKat. (Other android phones can get I think up to 40% more juice)

Besides all the corruption and taxes, we have one good damn thing here in Brazil: the Moto X / Maxx / G don't come with any bloatware.

Even so, the results may vary a LOT - which made me create this post actually. For example, I have seen people using the Moto X for like 10h with like 1:30h screen time before it goes out of charge. In some cases, I have seen people using for 1 day and a half or even 2 days of usage.

It is a tough decision but I think I will move to Moto X pretty soon. I am sick of Apple and got pretty disappointed with the iPhone 6 (it costs like 2 thousand dollars around here - no joke). I was also thinking about the Moto Maxx and Z3 but I guess they're too big for my taste (and they cost like $300-500 more).

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
so going back to your first post where you have 2 days of battery life, and almost 3 hours SOT, I've put together some screenshots from earlier today, the results are not similar to yours; however, I'm posting them so you could get a better idea of what to expect. And considering all the things I have going on and syncing, you would probably get even more juice:

* 24.25 hrs active
* 6.75 hrs was wifi (17.5hrs on LTE)
* 2hrs 40min SOT
* bluetooth on whole time (paired with Moto 360)
* 5 gmail accounts syncing + 1 yahoo account (out of the 5 gmail accounts, only 1 is main for syncing calendars, contacts, hangouts, g+ etc, all other 4 are for email only)
* whatsapp + hangouts
* gps/location toggle is On, on the battery saving mode

threw in a screenshot of homescreen, love it :-D

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-11.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-19.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-26.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-32.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-39.jpg

Screenshot_2014-11-30-13-20-58.jpg

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
so going back to your first post where you have 2 days of battery life, and almost 3 hours SOT, I've put together some screenshots from earlier today, the results are not similar to yours; however, I'm posting them so you could get a better idea of what to expect. And considering all the things I have going on and syncing, you would probably get even more juice:

* 24.25 hrs active
* 6.75 hrs was wifi (17.5hrs on LTE)
* 2hrs 40min SOT
* bluetooth on whole time (paired with Moto 360)
* 5 gmail accounts syncing + 1 yahoo account (out of the 5 gmail accounts, only 1 is main for syncing calendars, contacts, hangouts, g+ etc, all other 4 are for email only)
* whatsapp + hangouts
* gps/location toggle is On, on the battery saving mode

threw in a screenshot of homescreen, love it :-D

Thank you for all those tests Green!

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to do some formal measurements but it seems that KitKat provided a 1-1/5% per hour idle drain but so far with Lollipop I seem to be losing 2+% per hour while idle.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to say - I think it really depends where you are located and what your signal is like. I was in Kentucky this week, and I was getting 1 day plus battery life, with 4 hrs of SOT. I'm back in NYC and pulling about 3-3.5 hrs SOT with less standby as well. I'll be in the office tomorrow, where before I was getting 2ish hrs SOT max with like 10 hrs of standby. My signal in the office is terrible. Really think it depends on location.

Also, speaking of location - toggle it off and turn it on only when you need to use the GPS.

Maranzato

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to do some formal measurements but it seems that KitKat provided a 1-1/5% per hour idle drain but so far with Lollipop I seem to be losing 2+% per hour while idle.

Sorry but what do you mean by 1-1/5%?

I have to say - I think it really depends where you are located and what your signal is like. I was in Kentucky this week, and I was getting 1 day plus battery life, with 4 hrs of SOT. I'm back in NYC and pulling about 3-3.5 hrs SOT with less standby as well. I'll be in the office tomorrow, where before I was getting 2ish hrs SOT max with like 10 hrs of standby. My signal in the office is terrible. Really think it depends on location.

Also, speaking of location - toggle it off and turn it on only when you need to use the GPS.

The main issue is that Moto Assist service will only works if you let the location services on. For example, it can't assume I am driving if it is turned off. But I have heard the Moto Assist services can work if you turn the battery saving on.

I will have to test it myself I think.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have to say - I think it really depends where you are located and what your signal is like. Really think it depends on location.

very true, and i'll add to that, that the LTE radio does a great job of not draining battery fast.
I've noticed that even though my signal is between poor to ok, when on LTE only, the drain is not hit hard (like it did on my htc thunderbolt - of course X newer tech too)

And this goes parallel to what Anandtech were mentioning that the radio signal drains battery slower than wifi (i'm guessing when the signal is good to strong).

I've noticed when toggled off, it tends to report weather location wrong (i.e. giving me a different city's weather). I leave the gps toggle on, but on battery saving mode (out of the 3 options), so basically it only uses the carrier antennas to determine my approximate location.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usapana_098