Battery drain while idling

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
I got the phone last week and I am noticing that the phone loses approximately 30% of the battery overnight without any usage at all. I had the same issue with a previous Honor 8 phone which I had to return. I am having the same issue with this one too. I would like to know whether anyone else is having the same issue or there is something wrong with the phone. Thanks!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, there! Did this drainage happen with your previous phone when it was about a week old, as well? It could be that your phone battery is "adjusting," and it may take a few cycles for it to perform as it was meant to. However, if it experiences that kind of a drain overnight, I am not sure if that falls into this same category. How is everything else on the phone? Does it experience an unusual drain when you run apps like Facebook? I'd run a diagnostic of your battery usage over the course of a 24-hour period, and then see if any apps in particular are causing any significant drain while running in the background.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hmm what apps are you allowing to run in the background?

I haven't experienced that at all, I lose maybe 3-5% overnight.

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi Morty2264, Thanks for the answer. The issue for the previous phone as well as this phone are the same. From day 1 onwards they are having the same issue of losing 30-40 % battery overnight. I turned off the high usage apps like maps, FB etc but still losing lot of battery. I would have suspected there is something wrong with the phone except it is the second phone with the same issue. May be I have to play with the settings more etc?

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi libra89. Thanks for the help. I agree that there lot of background apps. As I mentioned in the previous answer, I am cutting down all the non important apps but still I am having issues. I wonder whether I have to return this phone too!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi libra89. Thanks for the help. I agree that there lot of background apps. As I mentioned in the previous answer, I am cutting down all the non important apps but still I am having issues. I wonder whether I have to return this phone too!
Hmm that's odd. How is your email sync? What power mode are you using? Performance or Smart? How's the connection (cellular + Wifi) in your area? Good, bad, OK?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi Morty2264, Thanks for the answer. The issue for the previous phone as well as this phone are the same. From day 1 onwards they are having the same issue of losing 30-40 % battery overnight. I turned off the high usage apps like maps, FB etc but still losing lot of battery. I would have suspected there is something wrong with the phone except it is the second phone with the same issue. May be I have to play with the settings more etc?

Perhaps you have to tinker with the settings. As libra89 mentioned, what is your cell coverage/signal like? If your phone has to search for a signal at any point in time, it will take a toll on the battery. Both my LG G3 and Nexus 5 have taken battery hits when signal coverage was low.

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Like both of you suggested, the cellular signal in my area is spotty. I guess that might be one thing, I might have overlooked. I am using the smart power mode only.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Like both of you suggested, the cellular signal in my area is spotty. I guess that might be one thing, I might have overlooked. I am using the smart power mode only.

That could definitely be a cause, especially if both phones have experienced similar drainage issues. I'm sorry this is happening to you! But if you're using smart power mode and are Silvie diligent, I am sure things will work out. Does anyone else in your household experience a similar kind of drain?

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. We have different phones and I didn't notice any issues with their phone. That's why I am concerned. I am also baffled that two new phones are having the same issue.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. We have different phones and I didn't notice any issues with their phone. That's why I am concerned. I am also baffled that two new phones are having the same issue.

Yes, I can certainly understand why you'd be concerned. So, their phones are not draining a bit overnight? Hmm. What carrier are you with? I'm assuming you and your household are using the same carrier?

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Nope. Their phones are fine. Only the Honor 8 have this issue. We all are with Cricket. Thinking about it, the signal is not very bad either. Let me play with the settings and I will let you guys know how it went. Thanks and appreciate your time!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Their phones are fine. Only the Honor 8 have this issue. We all are with Cricket. Thinking about it, the signal is not very bad either. Let me play with the settings and I will let you guys know how it went. Thanks and appreciate your time!

Okay, tinker around with it and let us know what happens! :)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Good luck! I asked because at work, my battery drains quite a bit because the signal goes in and out for both WiFi and cellular. Even so, the Honor 8 has strong radios so it isn't as critical.

If you have a moment, can you go to settings->apps->advanced settings->battery manager and tap the battery percentage and then let us know if you see a lot of red, yellow or green? Might be some orange too.

If you see a lot of red, this phone might not work so well for you in your area :(

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
For myself personally I was experiencing this at work when I am only using cell network. What I tried and seemed to improve my battery was going into settings under mobile operator and turning the mobile data always on option off. I have AT&T and cricket uses the same network.

When I am at home and on wifi I get amazing battery life.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I would suggest turning off wifi+
The constant scanning hits the battery hard if your phone starts skipping between WiFi and cellular.

ilp123

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I turned off the wi-fi and deleted some unnecessary apps. I lost only about 6% of the battery overnight for the past couple of days. It seems to be a good range. I very much appreciate all your help in resolving this issue!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I turned off the wi-fi and deleted some unnecessary apps. I lost only about 6% of the battery overnight for the past couple of days. It seems to be a good range. I very much appreciate all your help in resolving this issue!
Glad to hear that things improved!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12