battery issue but read first please

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
i know another battery thread but read this first, its not what you think.
i listen to the radio at night to help me fall asleep, i am on wifi and i pull up radio.com or whatever i am in the mood for. well doing this i do fall asleep while listening to this. therefore the radio stream goes all night long till morning. now mind you i am plugged in all night long. but by doing this during the night i loose battery QUICK during the day while unplugged. i get a good 12hr battery life now. but when i listen to the radio at night(streaming) i get maybe 5hrs till dead.
any ideas on why and what i might be able to do to save my battery

paulmiller82

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Sooooo many things can effect battery life it is really hard to say without a dump of the 5 hour battery log.

Like Hell last night I unplugged at 6pm and went to work. I would normally be charging at 5am. I got home at 830 am and I had 51% battery left. That day I happened to have good cell signal, and it helped that much.

That's just one thing though without knowing more it is hard to tell. Next time jump into your battery log and check what eating your battery.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I assume you mean that the battery is reaching and staying at 100% when the radio is playing at night so it is at 100% in the morning.
I guess it could be heat related. Maybe the phone and battery are getting hot, so the battery isn't getting a good charge.
But I really suspect it is just a coincidence.
Use something like Battery Monitor Widget and log the battery drain for a few days, with and without the night long radio. Compare those readings.

Andy19

May 13, 2011
Visit site
How often do you reset your phone?

I reset mine every few days. For example, the other day I was stuck at 91% while charging, but as soon as I reset it, it jumped to 99% and then 100% a few minutes later.

Not sure if it's a permanent fix, but I suppose worth a try.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Two suggestions:

1. As already suggested, install Battery Monitor Widget if you haven't already. It will keep a log of things such as batt%, voltage, usage, battery health, system temp, etc. Having a log of these stats may help others diagnose the problem.

2. When you wake up in the morning, try this. Immediately unplug your phone and reboot it. See what the batt% is. (Under normal conditions, you'd expect the battery to be at least 92% when it comes back up from the reboot*). Then plug it back in to charge up to 100% (while you eat breakfast, get a shower, etc). See if the phone still drains as fast during the day.

*While plugged in, the phone will reach a full charge, then discharge to anywhere from 92-96% (depending on the phone, my TB seems to drain to about 95%), then start charging again. It will repeat this cycle continuously while the phone is plugged in. Your battery meter will read 100% the entire time, however, you can observe this fluctuation if you have a monitor app, such as Battery Monitor Widget. This is why your batt% will sometimes drop a few %'s rapidly several minutes after unplugging it -- this is normal.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
yea the battery is 100% all night long while charging. i will try the battery widget see what is using it. but normally i have good life out of this, but only when i play the radio at night.
could be a good point it might be heating up a bit. good idea and i know that REALLY affects the life
as for the wiping battery data last time i did that was a few weeks ago when i loaded the new ROM. do you think that should be done on a regular basis? say every week or so?

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
what is wiping battery data? I never heard that one, how & why is that done?

if you have your phone rooted, pull into recovery mode and under the advanced option you will see wipe battery data.
if there is another way let me know. there is alos an app in the market i think it says battery cablibration
charge to 100% run app and let phone die to dead then give full charge back to 100% without interuption

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
yea the battery is 100% all night long while charging. i will try the battery widget see what is using it. but normally i have good life out of this, but only when i play the radio at night.
could be a good point it might be heating up a bit. good idea and i know that REALLY affects the life
as for the wiping battery data last time i did that was a few weeks ago when i loaded the new ROM. do you think that should be done on a regular basis? say every week or so?

Right -- what I was trying to say was that, while plugged in, once your battery hits 100%, it will continue to say 100% the entire time it's plugged in (EVEN THOUGH IT MAY VERY WELL NOT BE). By rebooting as soon as you remove the phone from a/c power in the morning, you accomplish 2 things: You kill any tasks that may be running and consuming more power than usual, and two, you'll get a more accurate readout of what the actual battery percentage is. At least that's my theory.

If, after the reboot, your batt% is anything significantly less than expected, then there is something going wrong with the charging while the radio is playing (or the radio is using more power than the charger can keep up with?). If the batt% is ok, but after the reboot the power does not drain as fast, then that indicates to me that some process goes "rogue" at some point while the radio app is playing all night, continues to run, and therefore consume more power than usual. Hope that makes sense.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe