Battery Life and The New Galaxy S7s

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, we're team LG, but I'm asking this question here because I don't want the typical fanboy nonsense ("optimization!" "more efficient!").

I am, for the first time, looking longingly at a Galaxy handset. In particular, the S7 Edge. I don't really buy the "edge" gimmick, but I like both the bigger battery and the fact it comes in titanium silver (I think that's what they're calling it).

With my recent purchase of an upper end point and shoot camera that is highly rated for taking indoor basketball shots (much bigger sensor and f2.8), my top priority with the G4's camera has dipped "camera" back down my priority list a bit. I still want an excellent camera, but more broadly speaking than when I got the G4 with those indoor hoops shots specifically in mind. That was especially why the manual setting appealed to me.

So, battery life is probably back at the top of my priority list. I'm wondering what you guys think about the S7 Edge's potential battery life? Is that extra Edge battery power getting eaten by the larger screen between the S7 and S7 Edge, or does the Edge provide more overall life with its larger battery?

Also, how do you think S7/Edge life (and all their variable battery experiences) will compare with our G4 (and all its variaible battery experiences)?

More simply. Will I get better battery life from the S7 Edge than the G4? Will the S7 Edge have better battery life than the S7? We know the mAh rating isn't everything.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking at regular S7 since I like smaller phones and the 3000mh served me well in the bigger LG. With MM ruining my G4, the potential for boot looping, and the smaller S7 I'm now interested in going back to Sammy.

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
You did not mention a very important item about battery life - removable batteries. Personally, I switched to LG from Samsung because of this. Plus better cell radio & camera on LG phones at the time.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You did not mention a very important item about battery life - removable batteries. Personally, I switched to LG from Samsung because of this. Plus better cell radio & camera on LG phones at the time.

I came from the Droid Turbo (a non-removable battery) to the G4. I rarely (if ever) wished for a removable battery, except maybe in principle.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
It's really too early to tell — Qualcomm has promised all sorts of amazing things about the 820 after last year's fiasco. I would definitely wait for an in-depth review, and see what others say on the forum before making the switch. I, for one, will be interested in what else is going to come our way over the course of the year. There will be many more phones with 820s coming out.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you're going to have to wait for tests and user experiences with the S7 Edge to answer your question. There's just no way to tell how the S7E hardware and software will handle the battery. It should be better than the G4 simply based on it having 20% more capacity, but as you said, mAh isn't everything. Although, theoretically, the G4 has unlimited battery life, limited only by how many spare cells you can deal with carrying around. Can't do that with the S7E.

Kr0m

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in the same thing. S7 edge has perked my interest a bit. Will definitely wait til summer before maybe jumping ship, should be lots of real life reviews, opinions on it by then. I like the design of G4 (removable battery is nice but don't take advantage of it all that often to warrant worrying about having one or not). Marshmallow hasn't improved anything as far as I can tell with my 812. I probably should go to the nexus line since the update delays in branded phones bug me more than anything else :x

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I fully realize the phones aren't out yet and there haven't been reviews yet.

However, I figured someone may have, for example, had experiences with the S6 and the S6 Edge and would know if the extra battery in the Edge in that case added more battery life, or if it was only necessary to run the additional features of the Edge version.

Sure, we know the S7 and S7 Edge are new hardware, but it isn't entirely in a vacuum. There's some stuff I was hoping to at least broadly extrapolate. At least until the actual use reports start coming in (and even those aren't going to be as useful as we'd hope for any of us individually...because they never are).