Battery Life Suddenly Is Horrible & SD Card Error

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
2 issues right now...

ISSUE #1...
My Battery drains FAST. It used to last a full day + with heavy use. But for the last few weeks the battery is dead by late afternoon with little, very little use. I’ve tried checking the settings to make sure things aren’t backing up during the day, etc. but the battery will be completely drained by late afternoon, early evening. Yesterday this happened with very little use at all. I didn’t call anyone, text or use internet and it was drained by 3pm (unplugged from the charger @ 9am). I would easily get a full days use with moderate activity. I’m thinking it’s an app that was recently installed (Star Wars Commander) so I removed it…but the problem still exists. I don't see a lot of background stuff going on. Unless google cards is always updating. I've tried looking at the settings but any ideas how to improve this?

ISSUE #2...
My SD card (SanDisk Ultra 32GB) died today but I had a brand new one (SanDisk Ultra 64GB) that I didn’t open yet. Since some of my apps were on my old SD card (and the card is dead…can’t recover it), do I now have to reinstall the apps to my device and then move them to my new SD card again? Or is there an easier way?

Last, and this is kinda weird, maybe a coincidence but I dunno, you tell me what you think…

Late last night the flash to my camera lit up and stayed on lighting up the ceiling and waking me up (I always place my phone face down). Nothing was running on my S5 and it seemed really odd so I opened up the Memo app and typed…

“Why are you spying on me?” (LOL) Then I typed…
“Tomorrow I’m going to perform a factory reset and remove you!”

When I woke up this morning I had the following error in my notifications screen…“SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem”

I bought my S5 this last August and have had no issues with it (never had the camera’s flash just stay on like that unless I was using my flashlight app). So now my SD card won’t work. I put it in my PC but my PC doesn’t even show anything was inserted. Then I tried my wife’s phone but it won’t recognize the card either. I then tried to reformat it in my own S5 but that didn’t work. The card is dead, like it doesn’t exist. So last night I was joking around but now I dunno.? Never had any issues with my SD card (SanDisk Ultra bought from Costco) and now it’s just a brick..a really light brick – lol!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
ISSUE #1...
My Battery drains FAST. It used to last a full day + with heavy use. But for the last few weeks the battery is dead by late afternoon with little, very little use. I’ve tried checking the settings to make sure things aren’t backing up during the day, etc. but the battery will be completely drained by late afternoon, early evening. Yesterday this happened with very little use at all. I didn’t call anyone, text or use internet and it was drained by 3pm (unplugged from the charger @ 9am). I would easily get a full days use with moderate activity. I’m thinking it’s an app that was recently installed (Star Wars Commander) so I removed it…but the problem still exists. I don't see a lot of background stuff going on. Unless google cards is always updating. I've tried looking at the settings but any ideas how to improve this?
Post a screen shot of the battery page. Then press the graph at the top and post a screen shot of that page. We have to see what's happening, or all we can do is make wild guesses.

If you don't know how to post screen shots, see How To Post Screenshots on Android Central.

ISSUE #2...
My SD card (SanDisk Ultra 32GB) died today but I had a brand new one (SanDisk Ultra 64GB) that I didn’t open yet. Since some of my apps were on my old SD card (and the card is dead…can’t recover it), do I now have to reinstall the apps to my device and then move them to my new SD card again? Or is there an easier way?
1) If you had your apps backed up, you could just reinstall them from the backup. ALWAYS have a current backup of your phone on some device other than the phone. (Not just the apps, the data too - use Helium. Back up any picture or video that's important. They say to live every day like it's your last one. Live every day like your phone is going to get run over by a tracked vehicle.)

2) DON'T run apps from the SD card. Many of them, even if they can be moved, won't work or won't work properly from it. (Which could be the cause of #1.) And it doesn't save all that much internal storage.

3) Contact SanDisk (they have a contact page on their site). The card isn't supposed to fail this soon (the S5 isn't out that long), and they don't want their cards failing young. (They invented the technology - if there's something wrong with it, they want to know.) They're a good company to deal with. (Good tech support and replacement of parts that fail costs, which is why their cards aren't the cheapest ones on the market - but they're the best ones.)

Late last night the flash to my camera lit up and stayed on lighting up the ceiling and waking me up (I always place my phone face down). Nothing was running on my S5 and it seemed really odd so I opened up the Memo app and typed…

“Why are you spying on me?” (LOL) Then I typed…
“Tomorrow I’m going to perform a factory reset and remove you!”

When I woke up this morning I had the following error in my notifications screen…“SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem”

I bought my S5 this last August and have had no issues with it (never had the camera’s flash just stay on like that unless I was using my flashlight app). So now my SD card won’t work. I put it in my PC but my PC doesn’t even show anything was inserted. Then I tried my wife’s phone but it won’t recognize the card either. I then tried to reformat it in my own S5 but that didn’t work. The card is dead, like it doesn’t exist. So last night I was joking around but now I dunno.? Never had any issues with my SD card (SanDisk Ultra bought from Costco) and now it’s just a brick..a really light brick – lol!
Aside from jokes about the ghost living in your house trying to drive you out, I'd return the phone and ask for a replacement under warranty. SanDisk cards don't usually get killed,the flash doesn't usually turn on by itself, etc. I'd contact SanDisk first (in case they want you to run any tests on that particular phone - I think they have live tech support on the site), then ask the carrier to replace the phone. (SanDisk will probably replace the card.)

Nickerz

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Post a screen shot of the battery page. Then press the graph at the top and post a screen shot of that page. We have to see what's happening, or all we can do is make wild guesses.

If you don't know how to post screen shots, see How To Post Screenshots on Android Central.

1) If you had your apps backed up, you could just reinstall them from the backup. ALWAYS have a current backup of your phone on some device other than the phone. (Not just the apps, the data too - use Helium. Back up any picture or video that's important. They say to live every day like it's your last one. Live every day like your phone is going to get run over by a tracked vehicle.)

2) DON'T run apps from the SD card. Many of them, even if they can be moved, won't work or won't work properly from it. (Which could be the cause of #1.) And it doesn't save all that much internal storage.

3) Contact SanDisk (they have a contact page on their site). The card isn't supposed to fail this soon (the S5 isn't out that long), and they don't want their cards failing young. (They invented the technology - if there's something wrong with it, they want to know.) They're a good company to deal with. (Good tech support and replacement of parts that fail costs, which is why their cards aren't the cheapest ones on the market - but they're the best ones.)

Aside from jokes about the ghost living in your house trying to drive you out, I'd return the phone and ask for a replacement under warranty. SanDisk cards don't usually get killed,the flash doesn't usually turn on by itself, etc. I'd contact SanDisk first (in case they want you to run any tests on that particular phone - I think they have live tech support on the site), then ask the carrier to replace the phone. (SanDisk will probably replace the card.)

Here are the screen shots...
2014-11-29 01.04.39.jpg2014-11-29 01.04.42.jpg2014-11-29 01.04.51.jpg

By the way, my battery was 100% charged @ 3:25pm, I unplugged it at that time and @ 5:04 my battery is down to 85%. I sent a few texts, turned off the screen after I was done and that was it.

As for #3 above...I contacted SanDisk just now and sure enough, they asked a few questions and emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send them my SD card and said once they receive my old one, they will mail me a new one in 7-10 days!!! Thanks for this great tip! It was that easy!

Also, here's 2 more screen shots of the app pre-installed called "Lookout". Notice the settings are for 3am but it's scanning apps in the middle of the afternoon. Can this be the cause? I've had this since day one but only until the last few weeks have I noticed my battery issues. Unless, it's because I've installed more apps and it's having to scan more now?
2014-11-29 01.25.34.jpg2014-11-29 01.22.27.jpg

Last edited: