Battery life took a nosedive

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I tried really hard to love this phone, and it was going really well until yesterday. The battery dropped 30% in an hour while I was tutoring. I charged it when I got home and got from 60% to 100% in 1.5 hours, just enough time to get ready for drinks. I fell asleep before I could charge it last night so I plugged it in when I woke up at 2:30 thinking that 3 hours would be enough to get from 20% to at least 90% when I left at 6.

No go. It was still at 75% when I checked it at 5, and only at 85% when I left at 6. Even using a 3rd party cable, the charging shouldn't be that slow, and I use the OEM charger at home. The 20 minute drive to work drained it to 79%, and even though I charged it for about 30 minutes before class started, it was only at 91%.

As I'm typing this, 2 hours later, I'm at 46% and I've been teaching the whole time. Coupled with the power button not working a week ago, the serious lag issues today that caused the keyboard to freeze, and the power button being so hot to the touch that I removed the battery out of concern, and having to return my first V20 because the notifications didn't work, I think I just have crappy luck with V20s.

Unfortunate because I never had problems with my G3, G4, or V10.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I tried really hard to love this phone, and it was going really well until yesterday. The battery dropped 30% in an hour while I was tutoring. I charged it when I got home and got from 60% to 100% in 1.5 hours, just enough time to get ready for drinks. I fell asleep before I could charge it last night so I plugged it in when I woke up at 2:30 thinking that 3 hours would be enough to get from 20% to at least 90% when I left at 6.

No go. It was still at 75% when I checked it at 5, and only at 85% when I left at 6. Even using a 3rd party cable, the charging shouldn't be that slow, and I use the OEM charger at home. The 20 minute drive to work drained it to 79%, and even though I charged it for about 30 minutes before class started, it was only at 91%.

As I'm typing this, 2 hours later, I'm at 46% and I've been teaching the whole time. Coupled with the power button not working a week ago, the serious lag issues today that caused the keyboard to freeze, and the power button being so hot to the touch that I removed the battery out of concern, and having to return my first V20 because the notifications didn't work, I think I just have crappy luck with V20s.

.Unfortunate because I never had problems with my G3, G4, or V10.

You have serious issues if it takes 1.5 hours to partially charge. I get a full charge in less time than that. Check you battery stats to see if you can find the culprit

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah something seems to be a major issue. You might have a rogue app eating your battery or something. Have a look at your battery stats to see if you can find the culprit.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting 5hr SOT and 18hr mixed use and I can't find anything rogue. I may try a factory reset but I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow at 6:30 am and I don't really have time to re-do everything.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry bit I'm confused by how fast your battery drains and the fact that you are getting 5 hrs SOT. Is that what you are actually getting even with the high discharge rate which is theoretically impossible?

anon(903870)

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Will-Smith-Thinking-As-The-Fresh-Prince-Of-Bel-Air.gif

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry bit I'm confused by how fast your battery drains and the fact that you are getting 5 hrs SOT. Is that what you are actually getting even with the high discharge rate which is theoretically impossible?

my phone SAYS i'm getting 5hr SOT/18hr mixed use. sorry for wording that poorly. for some reason my phone isn't registering the battery drain or slow charging. everything is reading as standard.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
my phone SAYS i'm getting 5hr SOT/18hr mixed use. sorry for wording that poorly. for some reason my phone isn't registering the battery drain or slow charging. everything is reading as standard.

Mine has been acting wierd lately too though when it comes to battery i have had it drop 33% in manner of minutes i ordered a new battery and factory reset unexplainible issue so we will see if it fixes the issue.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Two possible culprits: rogue app or battery.

Try out safe mode to see if drain is better... that would indicate rogue app.

If still sucky at that point, you may have a battery issue.

If it is a rogue app, I think you know the procedure and it's not quick.

Since you're going on vacation, maybe buy yourself a portable charging pack.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with others -- something is going on. You shouldn't take that long to charge when using the OEM charger.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Two possible culprits: rogue app or battery.

Try out safe mode to see if drain is better... that would indicate rogue app.

If still sucky at that point, you may have a battery issue.

If it is a rogue app, I think you know the procedure and it's not quick.

Since you're going on vacation, maybe buy yourself a portable charging pack.

would a rogue app also affect charging speed though? because the charging time has been consistent since i got the phone. the battery drain is a relatively new issue? my concern is that the issue is both battery & software related since my phone isn't picking up on the battery drain.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
would a rogue app also affect charging speed though? because the charging time has been consistent since i got the phone. the battery drain is a relatively new issue? my concern is that the issue is both battery & software related since my phone isn't picking up on the battery drain.
If the app was draining so hard, yes it would affect charging. Try out safe mode, charging whilst in that mode.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

When you check by double tapping the screen does it indicate fast charging?

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
When you check by double tapping the screen does it indicate fast charging?

Yeah, I get the fast charging notification which is why I figured the reported charging speeds were a little exaggerated.

Either way, I called T-Mo & I'm going to pick up a new battery after work. I'll test it out over the weekend, coupled with uninstalling a few apps that may be causing the problem and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try a factory reset, but if it gets that far, I may just need to replace the phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I get the fast charging notification which is why I figured the reported charging speeds were a little exaggerated.

Either way, I called T-Mo & I'm going to pick up a new battery after work. I'll test it out over the weekend, coupled with uninstalling a few apps that may be causing the problem and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll try a factory reset, but if it gets that far, I may just need to replace the phone.
Good luck....let us know how you make out.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Good luck....let us know how you make out.

crisis averted. i uninstalled the facebook app and my battery has only dropped 3% in 2 hours. i'm not surprised that it was facebook, but when i checked app usage it only showed at about 4%. so i do have questions about what facebook did to my phone...

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
crisis averted. i uninstalled the facebook app and my battery has only dropped 3% in 2 hours. i'm not surprised that it was facebook, but when i checked app usage it only showed at about 4%. so i do have questions about what facebook did to my phone...
Facebook probably caused a service in Android system or OS to run constantly. Battery stats would have shown high Android System or Android OS instead of Facebook. You may have also seen high Phone Idle because the phone wasn't sleeping properly or at all when the screen was off.

tsarcams

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Facebook probably caused a service in Android system or OS to run constantly. Battery stats would have shown high Android System or Android OS instead of Facebook. You may have also seen high Phone Idle because the phone wasn't sleeping properly or at all when the screen was off.

that sounds right since my phone was only reporting doze as active about 35% of the screen off time, and it was at 85%-90% when i got the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xenomorf