Battery Life

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I have a S21 Ultra and i really like it but the battery life sucks. The only way i make it through the day is with power saving always on.
With it of im down to 50% at noon. With it on I'm around 80% at noon.
Seems like a huge difference wondering if something could be adjusted with power saving mode of to get better battery life.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Nothing wrong with using power save mode , so looks like either the 120hz screen is using some juice or if u have auto brightness off could be another and Aod always on . Could be a app misbehaving also might want try safe mode if u can for a day.

For testing purposes
Turn to 60hz
Turn 5g off only lte if u can
Aod set tap to wake
Brightness auto if not used
Then test again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Roadijeff

Mar 5, 2021
Visit site
I have a S21 Ultra and i really like it but the battery life sucks. The only way i make it through the day is with power saving always on.
With it of im down to 50% at noon. With it on I'm around 80% at noon.
Seems like a huge difference wondering if something could be adjusted with power saving mode of to get better battery life.

It sounds like you're either a heavy power user or there's some background app that's sucking up the juice. I also have an S21 Ultra and I usually get at least 3 days use out of mine between charges. It may go even higher than that soon. I just started playing around with Bixby routines and so far I've created ones to turn off WiFi after I leave the house and back on when I return home and to shut down Bluetooth after I exit my vehicle. It's been 50 hours since I took it off the charger and it's showing 52% battery life left. Bixby routines were just created yesterday.

I also do not use fast charging. I feel that such modes causes excessive heat to the battery and that can lead to shorter battery life. I just put mine on a wireless charging stand on the evening I want to recharge it and the next morning it's all ready to go at 100%.

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I guess its app usage thats draining the battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-184945_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    Screenshot_20220124-184945_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 22

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us the breakdown of apps?

Also, your cell signal is pretty weak in that screenshot, so if it's often like that, it can contribute to battery drain (which may be represented by the 9% Phone Radio consumption. As a test, you could try turning on Airplane Mode, then turning wi-fi back on (which should still let you make and receive calls via Wi-fi Calling), and seeing how the battery is for the day.

lever2000

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I can't show a break down its not accepting the permissions.
it says to connect to a computer.
Yes my signal for the most part is fairly weak.
I only have Wi-Fi calling at work

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should also be able to see the breakdown of which apps are using how much battery in the Battery menu in the system settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why the AOD uses so much battery

AOD will always use more battery, since it's keeping the screen awake. If it's not crucial for you, I'd turn it off.

I'm not sure why Wi-fi Calling is using that much battery. Do you have good wi-fi coverage throughout your house? If the phone is often in an area of weak wi-fi coverage, that might be a reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae