battery life

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I could use some feedback on this topic. Twice in the last couple days, my phone went through the "Optimizing apps" sequence at boot up. Immediately following each instance, battery life has been in a tailspin.

I took my phone off the charger at 6am (100%) and by 1:30 pm it was at 16%!

On one of those "Optimizing apps" instances, I had booted into the bootloader menu and selected the "Repair apps" option. Is this kind of battery drain typical in the hours immediately following running the "Repair apps" option?

TIA!

Wow that is bad... my 2016 pixel (not XL) with a dying battery can still beat that :eek: There must be a software drain going on somewhere... I wonder if Samsung just has too much bloat running in the background?

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow that is bad... my 2016 pixel (not XL) with a dying battery can still beat that :eek: There must be a software drain going on somewhere... I wonder if Samsung just has too much bloat running in the background?
Well, I took it into the Samsung Customer Service Center and after a little convincing, they looked a little deeper into the battery drain and called me to pick up the phone about 5 hours later.

They replaced the motherboard as well as the charging port and connected sub-board (?).

I was warned off using non-genuine Samsung or 3rd-party cables and chargers, citing that this occurence had been recorded in their database and that a repeat incident could void my warranty. (They said that they know if 3rd-party cables and chargers have been used.)

They didn't replace the battery.

That said, my phone is back to a good "normal" as far as charging speed and charge retention is concerned.

My biggest challenge since picking up my phone is finding a Samsung car charger, as the only current model is sold out in most places. I ended up picking up an OtterBox car charger, as if I can't trust them to stick to quality standards, who can I?

I'm mourning the loss of convenience of my magnetic cables, but it's not worth risking an abnormally-draining phone battery (and not having warranty coverage to get it fixed.)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Those guys sound like idiots... "We know when you use non Samsung cables and chargers?!!" ... and will void your warranty if you use them?!!

Samsung doesn't even provide a fricken charger in the box anymore so who is to tell you what kind of "authorized" charger to use? BS.

Was that a real Samsung Service Center (Samsung Store... only like one or two or few in the US I believe) or a UBreakIFix? I took my N20 to an "Authorized Service Center (UBreak) to repair my dead screen out of warranty. And they (I call them TheyBreak) did a terrible job and got it back worse that by the time I was done with those idiots, I had their Corp office refund me and comp me a second replacement screen, frame, battery and back glass... basically the whole phone except for the motherboard and camera done at another UBreak shop of my choosing. The second shop were pros. Basically luck if you get a good shop or not.

I primarily use Ankar chargers and cables but I'll use other cables that review highly but I'll use my Lenovo 65W laptop or MacBook Air USB C chargers and no problems with a variety or chargers and cables.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think most will have their own charging theories and opinions, and tried and true methods -- but if a certain way works well for you, go for it! I imagine if you take care of your phone the way you are now, it'll definitely last a year. Also, being in a low-signal area will definitely impact battery performance.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think I read somewhere the amount of power consumed is so tiny. But I did learn something recently that our S-Pens smell!!... gives off a electrical burn type smell. I thought that was crazy then checked my pen... interesting.

The pens SMELL?!

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Those guys sound like idiots... "We know when you use non Samsung cables and chargers?!!" ... and will void your warranty if you use them?!!

Samsung doesn't even provide a fricken charger in the box anymore so who is to tell you what kind of "authorized" charger to use? BS.

Was that a real Samsung Service Center (Samsung Store... only like one or two or few in the US I believe) or a UBreakIFix? I took my N20 to an "Authorized Service Center (UBreak) to repair my dead screen out of warranty. And they (I call them TheyBreak) did a terrible job and got it back worse that by the time I was done with those idiots, I had their Corp office refund me and comp me a second replacement screen, frame, battery and back glass... basically the whole phone except for the motherboard and camera done at another UBreak shop of my choosing. The second shop were pros. Basically luck if you get a good shop or not.

I primarily use Ankar chargers and cables but I'll use other cables that review highly but I'll use my Lenovo 65W laptop or MacBook Air USB C chargers and no problems with a variety or chargers and cables.
It was an actual corporate Samsung Service Center. I was given the choice to go to a uBreakIFix, but I didn't want to go there.

Being able to detect the use of third party cables and chargers is not really "out there" but I'm more interested in getting the most out of my phone for the longest extent possible, so even though I won't go crazy over genuine Samsung accessories, I will be a lot more discerning than I have been until now.

I've been looking at Anker, Scosche, Belkin, OtterBox, Mophie as well as genuine OEM products from Google and Apple. One thing's for sure, there aren't many "slam dunk" deals anymore.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, I took it into the Samsung Customer Service Center and after a little convincing, they looked a little deeper into the battery drain and called me to pick up the phone about 5 hours later.

They replaced the motherboard as well as the charging port and connected sub-board (?).

I was warned off using non-genuine Samsung or 3rd-party cables and chargers, citing that this occurence had been recorded in their database and that a repeat incident could void my warranty. (They said that they know if 3rd-party cables and chargers have been used.)

They didn't replace the battery.

That said, my phone is back to a good "normal" as far as charging speed and charge retention is concerned.

My biggest challenge since picking up my phone is finding a Samsung car charger, as the only current model is sold out in most places. I ended up picking up an OtterBox car charger, as if I can't trust them to stick to quality standards, who can I?

I'm mourning the loss of convenience of my magnetic cables, but it's not worth risking an abnormally-draining phone battery (and not having warranty coverage to get it fixed.)

What they told you is illegal in the U.S. under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Scroll down to the Tie-in Sales provisions paragraph in the link I provided, it's illegal to void your warranty because you use other parts or accessories instead of Samsungs. Companies can't name their price and force you to use only them to repair, do maintenance, replace parts, or use only their parts or accessories on your product by threatening to void your warranty if you don't. More people need to be aware of this law ;)

Also they can't tell what kind of charger or cables you use... they were bs'ing you because they know everyone uses non Samsung chargers and cables at some point. They sound like a bunch of low life car salesmen types. Sad...

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/co...laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
What they told you is illegal in the U.S. under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Scroll down to the Tie-in Sales provisions paragraph in the link I provided, it's illegal to void your warranty because you use other parts or accessories instead of Samsungs. Companies can't name their price and force you to use only them to repair, do maintenance, replace parts, or use only their parts or accessories on your product by threatening to void your warranty if you don't. More people need to be aware of this law ;)

Also they can't tell what kind of charger or cables you use... they were bs'ing you because they know everyone uses non Samsung chargers and cables at some point. They sound like a bunch of low life car salesmen types. Sad...

https://www.findlaw.com/consumer/co...laws-and-the-magnuson-moss-warranty-act-.html
This is very good information. Thanks for sharing!

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
My battery life has been pretty good almost 24 hrs 10 hrs sot. But I have plenty of chargers available including my car. I am very happy with my S22 ultra unlocked on T mobile