Battery Life

illinoissparks18

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey i was just wondering if you guys could post battery life results. I currently get about 8 hours with kennysmithinny's setcpu profiles. Anyone else get better results? And if so, how?

Thanks!

Lolanerd

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
On school days mine can go about 8-10 hours because I have bad coverage at school. But if my phone doesn't roam during the day, it can last from like 9 am to like 2 am and still have about 11% left

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
On school days mine can go about 8-10 hours because I have bad coverage at school. But if my phone doesn't roam during the day, it can last from like 9 am to like 2 am and still have about 11% left

On the sprint optimus s main page (not in this rooting section) there is a sticky about roam control. That app will allow you to force your phone to remain in roaming, and thus save that battery. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...pp-roam-control-optimus-no-root-required.html

Becides that, battery like has so many factors so is rather subjective. But for me this is what I do.

-Keep the screen brightness as low as I can and still see it.
-Set wifi settings to "Never" sleep, and use it at every opportunity (always shut of when you do NOT have wifi as this will in turn drain battery if the phone is searching for a wifi connection that is not there).
-Apps like navigation or maps, after using I will force close it. Otherwise it will suck your battery down the toilet. This also goes for apps like facebook that uses your GPS, but this is a hard one for people to follow.
-Change your sync schedule to atleast once an hour for nearly everything. My weather widget is set to only update once an hour, same with my email. I have turned off facebook notification. The only app that does live updating is google voice, but I feel that voicemail and texts are a core phone function and must work.

So now to actual battery life. Most of my year on this phone has been on CM7 running its stock kernel till the ZVJ baseband was released. No profiles for setcpu, 726/320 max/min smartassV2 gov. Ave 20-30 min talk time. Data always on, check things like banking, email, tapatalk forums app, occasional web browsing, yellowbook for phone number lookup and location look up, and google navigation (always kill after using and keep the time on to a minimum).

I would average 16+ hours when away from wifi most of the day (almost never had the issue of never making it the full day, up at 6am, sleep at 11pm). On the days when I can keep it on wifi almost exclusively, more like 2 days.

Reactions: illinoissparks18

illinoissparks18

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow! I deleted google maps and turned gps off and i am at 68% after 9 hours!! With music and texting and forum-browsing! Thanks guys!

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
You could just freeze maps and location with titanium backup. So that way if you ever need them there still there just have to defrost them first.
For those of us who use the GPS, keeping Maps installed is kinda needed. TB does do this, but I recommend AppQuarantine because it is easier to use and actually has widgets that allow you to toggle them in/out of "quarantine" or restore them.

FYI, another persistent sucker of your phone's life is Cisco VPN, if you ever have to use that. It really sucks, but it is the only way you can access some ASA-based domains. Quaratine that mess!

Reactions: shockdude

shockdude

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
For those of us who use the GPS, keeping Maps installed is kinda needed. TB does do this, but I recommend AppQuarantine because it is easier to use and actually has widgets that allow you to toggle them in/out of "quarantine" or restore them.

i was looking for an app that could freeze/unfreeze apps like that. ty

fankhanelraul

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
CyanogenMod doesn't and will never have carrierIQ. It's like one of their policies. Because CIQ is installed through the carrier, (Sprint) and not Google. And Cyanogen gets android straight from the Google source code.

Last edited:
Reactions: illinoissparks18

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
CyanogenMod doesn't and will never have carrierIQ. It's like one of their policies. Because CIQ is installed through the carrier, (Sprint) and not Google. And Cyanogen gets android straight from the Google source code.

And If your on ZVJ baseband it might also be removed. I am still on ZVD baseband and so it was still installed, until I got rid of it, that is!

blackops1125

Advisor
Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
what are your settings?

SetCpu is nothing special I have it set at 245min and 748max ondemand, when screen is off its set at 245min & 480max.

I freeze maps when not using it, it sucks up battery life. And for those of you using slacker radio thats sucks battery life too, so I freeze that app as well when not in use.

I use SystemPanel to moniter everything, and try to keep my CPU Activity(first pic) down too less than 1% when the phone is not in use, Like when I am sleeping or just not using it! In the picture provided you see alot of ups & down in the cpu activity because I was using it, but it always drops back down to >1& when idle. What this tells me is what processes (second pic) are running, & if something starts eating up process time I can fix the problem either by freezing the app or whatever else. SystemPanel Pro is a great tool to moniter everything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLinn