Battery on new HTC One (M8) HK edition

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So, I've had my phone for 5 days and the battery life is really disappointing - worse than my 2 yr old S3... I'm thinking of taking it back to target and swapping it out for another... It basically burns about 4.5% an hour with light usage. I have power saving on (dimming the auto brightness and vibration off). I have bluetooth off, nfc off, location on battery saver mode and most of the sync'ing off...

attached is my GSAM for today - note my minimal screen time, i basically eek out about 4 hrs of screen time. I'm going to give it another day or so and try a factory reset...
Screenshot_2014-12-05-15-46-40.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-05-15-47-06.jpg

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that doesn't seem right. I have the exact same phone. At home, using WIFI and WIFI calling I easily get a full day with light to moderate usage, including a few errands around town while checking email, Facebook, and taking a call or two over normal network. No power saver, auto brightness on screen, usually bright, GPS always on, Bluetooth always on, all auto sync and HTC back up on, and auto app updates on. The only thing off is NFC, because I don't use it. On light usage, I've got up to almost 40 hours. On the other side of the coin, with all of that on, when in really sketchy coverage including bouncing in and out of roaming, I may only get 9-14 hours before I get a low battery notice and plug it in. I don't have a need to download and use the GSAM battery app, so I really don't know (or care about) my specifics. I also disable any apps like Google Books, Sprint TV and anything else I don't use. I think I would do a factory reset, and if you still have problems after a week, I 'd take it in.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Lookout shouldnt use that much of your phone. In fact i used to use Lookout but i find it doesnt do anything for me. Now a days if you loose it people will hard reset it and the app wont work.
Also you can probably turn OFF the power saver feature. I never use that feature and ive got great battery life on my TMO M8. Oh another thing, go into settings, battery, and make sure Fast Boot is turned OFF. aka unchecked.
Also After you disable lookout wipe the system cache. (google it)
Try those and report back.

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Agree - Lookout doesnt usually eat that much battery - i must've just installed something and caused it to do some scanning... anyway, here's my complete day - seems like everyone else is getting more than my pathetic 3-4 hrs of screen time. what do y'all think? Going to reset tonight...

Screenshot_2014-12-05-21-42-47.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-05-21-43-05.jpg

mindshadow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
That definitely doesn't seem right to me. Even playing heavy games I get 4+ hours screen on time with brightness set to auto, sync always on and never on power saving .Have you tried clearing the cache or even the cache partition? I noticed you are on LTE the first screenshot shows some low signal bars... This can drain the battery but still it shouldn't drain this quickly.

Failing this I think a factory reset could help and if not and you still get the low battery life it could just be a defective battery so I would definitely send it back under warranty and get that sorted

Posted via the Android Central App

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah tried clearing cache as well. Just pulled it off the charger after a reset and its burned 3% of the battery in less than 10 minutes with me checking email and reading this forum! This is not looking good.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I would just go ahead & do swap. U definitely have a bad battery. Facebook does eat up the battery as well, I disabled it & use chrome if I wanna check it.

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problems but I'm on a moto g 1st gen on boost mobile. I only use it as a WiFi device right now but I'm going to get it activated to use but the battery life seems horrible right now. I've factory reset wiped cache which takes like 5 to 6 minutes for it to finish and boot the phone, and cache partition. So I've tried everything and any help is appreciated, and I also have a high battery temp 96° any ideas why? And I already know about the downloaded app I was downloading a movie.

Attachments

• 7532.jpg
    7532.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 7534.jpg
    7534.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 7533.jpg
    7533.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 69

whitelunchbag

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problems but I'm on a moto g 1st gen on boost mobile. I only use it as a WiFi device right now but I'm going to get it activated to use but the battery life seems horrible right now. I've factory reset wiped cache which takes like 5 to 6 minutes for it to finish and boot the phone, and cache partition. So I've tried everything and any help is appreciated, and I also have a high battery temp 96° any ideas why? And I already know about the downloaded app I was downloading a movie.

You're in the wrong forum, but 2:35 of screen on time is very good for only 35% battery use, not sure what you're complaining about

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
ok - so i swapped phones and the new one is definitely better. I'm not 100% impressed with the battery life but i can live with this. I had moderate to heavy use yesterday (the majority of which was surfing the web). Those that are getting significant battery life I'll chalk up to having really good signal. I'll give it a few days and hopefully it gets even better... I am wondering when i'll be getting the 4.4.4 update though and if that will help.Screenshot_2014-12-07-23-10-41.jpgScreenshot_2014-12-07-23-10-50.jpg

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
ok - so i swapped phones and the new one is definitely better. I'm not 100% impressed with the battery life but i can live with this. I had moderate to heavy use yesterday (the majority of which was surfing the web). Those that are getting significant battery life I'll chalk up to having really good signal. I'll give it a few days and hopefully it gets even better... I am wondering when i'll be getting the 4.4.4 update though and if that will help.View attachment 153049View attachment 153050
The 4.4.4 update has been out for a while. Do a manual check. It should be there... If not check on the Sprint or HTC web site.

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
i was just about to do a manual install of 4.4.4 but then i googled it and read a bunch of drama about some bloatware (ITSON) that is eating ppl's batteries since the 4.4.4 update. I have a suspicion that Sprint has stopped OTA updates until this is resolved... meanwhile, i'll wait...

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
i was just about to do a manual install of 4.4.4 but then i googled it and read a bunch of drama about some bloatware (ITSON) that is eating ppl's batteries since the 4.4.4 update. I have a suspicion that Sprint has stopped OTA updates until this is resolved... meanwhile, i'll wait...
They already fixed it......(Can't remember, I think it was an app update....but that was last months drama and no longer a problem)

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
im still seeing posts in the sprint forums about this issue with responses as recent as yesterday... so i'll hold out. I do wonder why i havent received an OTA update even when i manually check via Settings > System Updates

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
im still seeing posts in the sprint forums about this issue with responses as recent as yesterday... so i'll hold out. I do wonder why i havent received an OTA update even when i manually check via Settings > System Updates
There was a big long tread on here about a month ago about the It'sOn app. It was eating battery life a bit. (Sometimes more than a bit...lol.) I checked with HTC's Sprint guru Jason and this was his response: Mike, thank you for your feedback. This issue had been resolved by Its On. They have setup the fingerprint so that production devices can be fully updated. Its On will automatically retry and download the service APK which will resolve the issue.
The problem went away for most people on this forum, or at least no ones been posting about it. I'm wondering why your phone isn't seeing the update. I'm pretty sure Sprint hasn't pulled the OTA update.

slin9

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
There was a big long tread on here about a month ago about the It'sOn app. It was eating battery life a bit. (Sometimes more than a bit...lol.) I checked with HTC's Sprint guru Jason and this was his response: Mike, thank you for your feedback. This issue had been resolved by Its On. They have setup the fingerprint so that production devices can be fully updated. Its On will automatically retry and download the service APK which will resolve the issue.
The problem went away for most people on this forum, or at least no ones been posting about it. I'm wondering why your phone isn't seeing the update. I'm pretty sure Sprint hasn't pulled the OTA update.

yeah, i tried doing a manual install last night and kept getting a "phone not connected" error - even though the sync app was showing my phone connected. Oh well, maybe I'll just take it to a sprint store - or wait for the lollipop update (which i just got on my Nexus 7)...

OlGreybeard

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my H-K Edition since May. I text on my phone quite a bit during the day and surf the net a bit too. I don't use any power saving features at all and my Bluetooth is connected to my Pebble. Typically, I am around 70-75% battery when I get home.

I recently did a 17-hr stint at work and returned home at 62%.

Either I got a "cherry" phone or you got a lemon. I'd exchange it.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac