Battery temps since weather change?

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am curious as to how many people are having high battery temps since the weather has been getting warmer?
I have 4 rezounds in the family and we all have been seeing higher battery temps. From downloading, hotspot use, to GPS use, and watching a downloaded movie through the mhl adapter. Temps from 127 degrees to 141 degrees. I'm in a vehicle most of the time running GPS and hotspots with temps constantly mid 130's. Highest at 141.4 degrees with outside temps of 85 to 90 degrees. That is also with the case off and mounted on console instead of window. Lastly I switched with the wife's rezound for half day, 134 degrees with outside temps of 75 degrees.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
higher ambient temperatures will make the phone get hotter, you can put a small fan blowing it and it should help reduce temps.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Where and how do I carry a fan around to keep it cool? Im in and out of the car continously with my work. My life and job seems to revolve around my electronics. I always have a tablet and laptop running off the hotspot and gps and calls off of 2 different phones. Im sure im not the only one that is in the same or similar situation.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
that is in a house, for a car, use a vent mount... Unless your car doesn't have a fan.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
that is in a house, for a car, use a vent mount... Unless your car doesn't have a fan.

Thats a lot of fans! When outside which I am more than half the day I should get a hat fan or boobie fans. LOL. Had to say that.
Now that we have the fixes out of the way. Back on topic with the question. I would like to know how many people have battery heating issues since spring/summer coming on?

Last edited:

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My Rez screen gets warm sometimes depending on what app I'm using. When playing games and other apps that use a lot of fps on the screen (movies) it gets warmer.

But never unduly so.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thats a lot of fans! When outside which I am more than half the day I should get a hat fan or boobie fans. LOL. Had to say that.
Now that we have the fixes out of the way. Back on topic with the question. I would like to know how many people have battery heating issues since spring/summer coming on?

I have used (4) rezound and (4) thunderbolt , similar heat as you. Getting the air flowing is the best way without sacrificing performance. When using the phone outside, find a spot in the shade with a wind draft if possible. Obviously not as good as say a portable fan, but if you don't want to use a fan, then that is an option. You can also put a piece of paper between the battery and back of the phone, might help a little bit. Also, don't charge the phone while it is hot, as charging the phone generates some heat.

Performance wise, you can switch to wifi preferably or 3g, reduce screen brightness, reduce cpu speed. You can disable background data. You can also use the economy power mode which probably does some of the above.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I have used (4) rezound and (4) thunderbolt , similar heat as you. Getting the air flowing is the best way without sacrificing performance. When using the phone outside, find a spot in the shade with a wind draft if possible. Obviously not as good as say a portable fan, but if you don't want to use a fan, then that is an option. You can also put a piece of paper between the battery and back of the phone, might help a little bit. Also, don't charge the phone while it is hot, as charging the phone generates some heat.

Performance wise, you can switch to wifi preferably or 3g, reduce screen brightness, reduce cpu speed. You can disable background data. You can also use the economy power mode which probably does some of the above.

Yea got the paper trick going on all but my daughters. I use 2 extended and a standard battery to avoid charging. I have a thunderbolt charger in my rig and another one in the house. My hotspot runs from 7 in the morning to about 7 at night. That's typically the hours I'm working. I know that most of the heat is caused by the hotspot, GPS, and phone calls get em pretty hot. I switch my laptop and tablet to wifi when I get home. I have my phone on 4g at all times, the handoffs have always worked perfect so I don't bother, and my tablet and laptop would be close to useless on 3g using hotspot.
To be honest I'm not really looking for cures since I have been working on overheating cures for 3 years. I am glad you have been adding your advice so this may help others that may read these posts. Since the rezound came out in November and hasnt seen higher outside temps, I was just curious to know if others have overheating issues. And so far, looks as if no one else has battery temps issues.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am curious as to how many people are having high battery temps since the weather has been getting warmer?
I have 4 rezounds in the family and we all have been seeing higher battery temps. From downloading, hotspot use, to GPS use, and watching a downloaded movie through the mhl adapter. Temps from 127 degrees to 141 degrees. I'm in a vehicle most of the time running GPS and hotspots with temps constantly mid 130's

Stop doing whatever you're doing on your phone when it gets that hot. If I'm not mistaken, anything over 130 degrees is getting into the danger zone. Not to mention that constant, high temperatures seriously reduce the battery's charge capacity.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Stop doing whatever you're doing on your phone when it gets that hot. If I'm not mistaken, anything over 130 degrees is getting into the danger zone. Not to mention that constant, high temperatures seriously reduce the battery's charge capacity.

I just got off the phone with HTC tech support and they say average 115? to 125? operating temp. If you watch a movie through the mhl to TV my temps range from 125? to 135?. Tried on all 4 that we have. I even read where someone got 142? watching a movie on TV.

120? is considered hot. 130? is considered overheating. 140? the battery can turn into a runaway. I have researched it back when my x2 would overheat.
I also don't allow these temps. The battery app has an alarm. I went over 130? to test battery temps. And the reason for doing this with only the hotspots on, Bluetooth headset in the car I made a 20 min call and the alarm went off at 130?. My wife hooked her rezound up to watch a downloaded movie on the tv and hers beeped and got to 132?.
Like I said before I just had a curious question as to all that may have noticed heating issues since weather is warming and without trying to sound rude, didn't ask to be schooled on the subject.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing anyone who uses it similar to you with similar operating conditions would have a similar result. There are potential solutions, but they all have drawback. You could jerryrig the battery outside of the phone, that would keep the battery cooler. Of course, not very practical. If you don't mind opening the phone up, you could use different thermal paste or perhaps a better heat sink.
Yea got the paper trick going on all but my daughters. I use 2 extended and a standard battery to avoid charging. I have a thunderbolt charger in my rig and another one in the house. My hotspot runs from 7 in the morning to about 7 at night. That's typically the hours I'm working. I know that most of the heat is caused by the hotspot, GPS, and phone calls get em pretty hot. I switch my laptop and tablet to wifi when I get home. I have my phone on 4g at all times, the handoffs have always worked perfect so I don't bother, and my tablet and laptop would be close to useless on 3g using hotspot.
To be honest I'm not really looking for cures since I have been working on overheating cures for 3 years. I am glad you have been adding your advice so this may help others that may read these posts. Since the rezound came out in November and hasnt seen higher outside temps, I was just curious to know if others have overheating issues. And so far, looks as if no one else has battery temps issues.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you can also cut the back of the battery door where the battery is, just make sure not to cut any of the antennae. You can then create a custom heat sink for the battery to help dissipate heat. You can also use dry ice and stick it to the battery.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
you can also cut the back of the battery door where the battery is, just make sure not to cut any of the antennae. You can then create a custom heat sink for the battery to help dissipate heat. You can also use dry ice and stick it to the battery.

I hope you are being sarcastic, then I would wonder why? Anyways lets let this thread run out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I hope you are being sarcastic, then I would wonder why? Anyways lets let this thread run out.

Dry ice was a joke. But I was serious about cutting out the back and putting in a heat sink. The heat is confined because of the back cover. Removing it allows heat to escape better. A aluminum heat sink could be devised to activate similar to a back cover.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about just cutting out the HTC logo on the battery door to see if that helps. The only thing, it won't help with the heat from the screen, which causes problems too.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about just cutting out the HTC logo on the battery door to see if that helps. The only thing, it won't help with the heat from the screen, which causes problems too.

true, but dissipating some heat from the battery would reduce heat to the screen. i strongly believe that the battery is the biggest heat culprit. the screen already has a lot of aluminum and copper to dissipate the heat, i doubt you could do much better, without extending the aluminum to outside of the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviTaylor