Be gentle, I'm another refugee

dkweston

May 22, 2012
Visit site
My trusty Blackberry died last week after giving me weeks of faithful service. I replaced it with a used Droid X2 I picked up on eBay which I plan to use on PP. (Yeah...I'm cheap.)
I've got a couple of tablets, a Archos 80-G9 running ICS and a really beat up old Coby running Gingerbread so I'm not a complete newbie. This is, however, my first Android phone.
I've already picked up some great tips by browsing the forums but I'm sure I'll have questions.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
dkw

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

I do not know if the X2 has it, but to get the most out of an older phone you should look into putting Cyanogen on it. They really help to make the phones go a bit further than they were intended.

EDIT: Well I did a quick check, CM is still in beta so it isnt really ready for prime time. I can say that I have used ROMs from this guy (and the Eclipse Line) a ton and he always does good work: Droid X2 Android Development - xda-developers

Reactions: dkweston

dkweston

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I've looked at the Cyanogen stuff and will keep an eye for a prime time version. My understanding is the X2 won't be getting an official version of ICS. Not too big an issue. I have ICS on one of my tablets and can get by with GB.
I think for now my first priority will be to root the sucker and get rid of some of the crapware.
Either way, I'm pretty impressed so far. I've put a couple of apps on it and that was a pleasure. There isn't that much out there for the BB. Also, I'm loving this big 4.3 screen. With the BB it felt like I was looking at a postage stamp.
Thanks again. All advise and suggestions are more than welcomed.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations & welcome to the Android Central community .

There's a root method that "should" work on the X² , as people reported it works with all Motorola gingerbread phones. I never tried though since I've no reason to root (I've a European Atrix, its "Crapware free" & It can tether right outta the box)

It should have allot of ROMs too, last time I checked, people were porting ROMs for the X² from the Atrix & the Photon

Sent from my MB860 using Android Central Forums

dkweston

May 22, 2012
Visit site
One of the reasons I went with the X2 was that it was cheap. The bigger reason, however, was that I had been told that newer 4G phones wouldn't work on PP. I've since found out that you can indeed use the newer phones but you don't get 4G speeds. Not a problem. For what I paid, I can use the X2 till PP gets 4G capacity. When that happens I'll pick up something a little more recent.
Meanwhile...you're right. A little surfing has turned up a nice selection of roms. Seems that folks have had enough time to come up with some neat stuff and sometime next week I hope to look into what exactly is out there and start running through them. This is going to be fun.
Right now, I'm still running totally stock but even stock this thing is worlds better than my old Blackberry.
Thanks so much for the advice and info.
dkw

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums

Sent from ATRIX 4g rooted,unlocked and OC to 1.45 with nottachtrix rom using tapatalk 2

dkweston

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm already enjoying Android. Although BB is supposed to be better for business use, I'm the editor of a small paper and five days in, I've already found half a dozen things I can do easier and better on the Android.
I really do hope that BB pulls out of the nosedive it seems to be in but for me, for right now, I'm sticking with the Android.

Dr. Droidberg

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If you are interested in rooting, the gingerbread root method does work on the X2. The Droidmodderx site is good & has download links & walkthrough videos. They also have ROM reviews.

The Droid X2 has an encrypted bootloader (all recent Motorola devices do) so there are some limitations on which ROMs you can flash, but there are plenty of good ones if you want a different experience than stock.

As far as Blackberry being better for business, I think that's all marketing. Blackberry might be more secure because everything has to go through their servers in Canada, but that isn't always good in my opinion.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'm already enjoying Android. Although BB is supposed to be better for business use, I'm the editor of a small paper and five days in, I've already found half a dozen things I can do easier and better on the Android.
I really do hope that BB pulls out of the nosedive it seems to be in but for me, for right now, I'm sticking with the Android.

Having used both platforms regularly, sometimes it is just a matter of learning to do things differently. I dual-carry BlackBerry and Android now, the BB primarily to chat with my BBM friends, and as a business line. There are a couple of things I haven't been able to do yet, on Android, but there are more that I can.

Welcome to the AC forums!

dkweston

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the insights. This has to be one of the friendliest and most helpful communities I've run across.

Dr. Droidberg,

I hadn't seen the Droidmodderx site but it certainly sounds like something I'll be checking out later tonight. Thanks for pointing me toward it.
The gingerbread root you mentioned, is this the infamous Gingerbreak? I've seen a lot of users reporting solid results but at this point, I've been swamped at work and just haven't had time to do more than briefly browse the forums.
Either way, I'm looking forward to getting a free afternoon and evening so I can start crawling around in this and see what I've been missing.

BergerKing,
I suspect you're right about the learning curve. For example, I prefer Linux but our paper. like most papers, are run on Macs. I use both and have gradually come to respect OSX. In fact, I have a Hackintoshed Dell running SL so I can work from home.
I seem to feel more at home on Android but I'm sure it's just a question of personal taste and what works for each person. Heck, some of my best friends have iPhones and love them.
I hope BB makes it. They've done some great things and even if I'm not using a BB now I like having that option available.

Thanks again to both of you. I'm learning something new here every day.

Dr. Droidberg

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't seen the Droidmodderx site but it certainly sounds like something I'll be checking out later tonight. Thanks for pointing me toward it.
The gingerbread root you mentioned, is this the infamous Gingerbreak? I've seen a lot of users reporting solid results but at this point, I've been swamped at work and just haven't had time to do more than briefly browse the forums.
Either way, I'm looking forward to getting a free afternoon and evening so I can start crawling around in this and see what I've been missing.

It may be a variant of Gingerbreak, but I'm not sure. Here's the link:
http://droidmodderx.com/one-click-root-for-any-motorola-device-running-gb/
If you follow the video walkthrough exactly it should be no problem.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome here DK!

I'm another BB convert here. Welcome to the forums. I'm pretty new here but the forums are AWESOME (This is about the only Android site I visit. XDA occasionally for ROMS, but for information and help, NOTHING beats AC!)

Just curious what BB you came from. Before getting my Galaxy Nexus I had an ancient Pearl 8130 (running on 1X-EV CDMA data. S-L-O-W!!!). Now I've got a rockin phone and HSPA! Talk about a WORLD of difference! The ONLY thing I miss is a physical keyboard, but I'm slowly adapting to the world of touchscreen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow